Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Versus XIII Trailer

I think that the age of traditional ATB JRPGs are long gone. Even the people who enjoyed them will be able to deal with a continuous rehash of (insert favourite FF battle system) because of the evolution of all the games around it.

More importantly, FFs have always evolved. This is why they haven't gotten stale. And another important fact is that Versus XIII is not being called FFXV because it is considered to be too far away from a traditional FF. Why it's still being called Final Fantasy is a bit unknown, but I'm hoping (begging/praying) that it ends up like Vagrant Story.

Anyway, let's see how XIII-2 turns out. Maybe it'll surprise us and show that FF still has soul.

And Mistwalker is stuck in the past. That's why their titles are average.

Blog Entries

I loved Lost Odyssey deeply, not just for its traditional FF style but also the passion that went into fleshing it out (especially the absolutely brilliant dream stories). If that's being stuck in the past, fair enough, I guess I am too

There's hope in the market that iOS is generating, which is revitalising the oldschool to some extent (not just this type of thing but also the long missed click - or now tap - adventures like Monkey Island). I'm not overly enchanted by Chaos Rings, but it's a start.

@Mistwalker haters:
    My god have any of you even seen The Last Story? It's an RPG for the Wii (and as of right now, only in Japan), but it is definitely looking to be the next big JRPG! It has the whole pause and plan out your squad's moves (like in PC version of Dragon Age) and mixed with unparalleled 3rd person Action RPG looks to be the best RPG on the Wii.

NEW INFO ON VERSUS:

Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    Square took one of the thousand-or-so layers off the veil covering Final Fantasy Versus XIII at last week's 1st Production Department Premier event. Today, thanks to Japanese publication Dengeki PlayStation and a few trustful Japanese blogs that managed to get magazine's latest issue a couple of days in advance, we have new details, some good and some bad.

We'll get the bad out of the way first. There's no way this thing is coming out this year. Director Tetsuya Nomura is interviewed in the magazine and said that because they're trying to do a number of incredible things and the focus is on quality, they will need more time. He joked that because Duodecim Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy XIII-2 are all due out this year, players should forget about Versus for the time being.

That's going to be tough to do, as the details the magazine has on the game do have us excited. Most of the information can be discerned from the Premier trailer, which will be released in HD later this week.

Versus has a party-based combat system where you switch between three character, Nomura confirmed. The game will have more playable characters than just the four who were shown in the trailer, he also said, although the number of such characters won't get too high.

Each character has different abilities, both in weapon use and in the effect of their magic calls. Main character Noctis can use all the game's wide variety of weapons. One character, a blonde guy who appeared in the trailer, is skilled with guns, and he alone can be switched to a third person aiming mode for precise aim.

The Versus development staff seem to be going for an eventful gameplay experience. Nomura highlighted the game's real time event system, where some wild things will happen as you're moving about. This was seen in the trailer as a giant behemoth beast attacked when Noctis approached a bridge, and as ships crashed to the ground around Noctis and crew. The game transitions to these events seamlessly, a system that's taking some time to develop, said Nomura.

Other intriguing features mentioned by Nomura are a day/night cycle system for the game's world map (in the trailer, the world map parts are the nature areas towards the end), and the ability to ride cars, air ships and chocobos. You can also steal military use vehicles, although Noctis is such a good guy that he won't steal from common folk. Noctis can also kill off enemies to steal their mechs and other mechanized war machines. All these features can be seen in the trailer.

The trailer also shows some vague story and character details if you can read the subtitles. In the Dengeki story, Nomura cleared up a few incorrect assumptions people have made regarding these areas.

Towards the middle of the trailer, an old man in a throne, confirmed to be Noctis' father, says something along the lines of "You cannot be king." He's saying this not to Noctis, as many had assumed, but to someone whose identity Nomura would not disclose.

More significantly, the end of the trailer shows an armored lady in an apparent confrontation with Noctis. Many assumed this was heroine Stella. But it's not. Nomura says the lady is a dragon knight and an enemy.

Our next update on Final Fantasy Versus XIII will come at E3 or beyond, Nomura told Dengeki, so you're going to have to make the most of the new trailer when it hits later this week.
    Last edited by nirojan; 01-25-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Blog Entries

I have to say, I'm cautiously looking forward to this, quite a bit. It's heartening to hear that they're taking the time to do it right rather than forcing it out of the door ASAP. So they should - no rush! (Well the PS3 has reached that time of starting to feel dated but there's no sign of a PS4 around the corner and anything they do for the PC is a disaster, so... go for it )

Maybe I've been a bit harshly cynical with these guys after all if they're not going to just churn another spin-off out as quickly as possible to make the fastest money etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nirojan View Post
    Nomura highlighted the game's real time event system, where some wild things will happen as you're moving about.
    Active Time Event! Press Select

Much more seamless by the sound of it

the ability to ride cars, air ships and chocobos.
    Very promising. Hopefully no "cheating" like fixed point-to-point airships or treating them as like a hover-car within a limited area.

You can also steal military use vehicles, although Noctis is such a good guy that he won't steal from common folk.
    I'm warming to the main character already, which is interesting, even the best FFs rarely managed that.

TRAILER IN HD:
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII Video Game, Japanese Gameplay Reveal Trailer HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

Did some analysis of the trailer, now that we have a clearer version:
    -The ETC toll booth's are actually a real toll system used in Japan around the Tokyo metropolitan
    -Noctis's hairstyle changes slightly during his encounter with Stella
    -City scape is actually really well done (studying architecture, reason why I noticed this) all infrastructures are accounted for.
    -Some things in the battle menu include Magic, Item, summon, EX arts
    -During combat names disappear and face cuts of what the character is doing at the moment appear.
    -Health bar, MP bar, MP number and EX bar are present
    -MP gradually builds up with melee attacks and when you use a spell/special it uses up a MP number

*Some of the other character names:
    Ignis (the guy with the glasses) weapon:katana type
    Gladiolus (the big guy with the scar) weapon:buster sword-type
    Prompto (blondie) weapon:gun type
    Last edited by nirojan; 01-27-2011 at 11:59 PM.

What is this feeling I'm experiencing? Anticipation for an FF game? Haven't felt that in a looooooong time.

Not looking like the thing for me. All I could think of was a list of RPG's or Action games I would rather play, which funnily enough was how I felt when trying to play that strangely-popular-and-not-good Kingdom Hearts series. Also, I personally never find the stories of Nomura's games to be anything to really write home about for whatever reason, so that's not gonna hook me either. Looks pretty though, but whatever.

Hope it's good though. I'm sure I'll get to watch my friend play through it, and if it looks decent enough I may give it a spin eventually.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Blog Entries

Nice trailer.

It's probably just Nomura's limited diversity in character design, but Stella is still totally Sarah. Cue theories about her being some sort of female Jesus sent to both worlds by that same creator they both have.

P.s. Is that a Buster Sword I see before me?
    Last edited by Cloudane; 01-28-2011 at 09:46 AM.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

It all does look promising. I liked the bits where they were out in the wildst most, though. Maybe because it's a break from all the night scenery we've constantly been seeing since this game was revealed back in 2006. Gameplay I'm cautious about. It looks interesting, with its mix of so many styles all rolled into one, but, though I have no experience with it myself, enough people have complained about Final Fantasy games taking on a new style of gameplay (Dirge of Cerberus, for example). Having never played Kingdom Hearts, and never planning to, I'm not sure what to expect. I just hope the game itself can live up to its trailers, something XIII could not do.

I repeat: it looks promising. But what value does that have if the game itself can't live up to its promise? I'm not anti-Nomura like some people are, so I'm fully willing to give this game a chance. It seems to deserve it, judging from the trailers, but won't know for sure until there's a demo or until the first reviews roll in.

I'm crossing my fingers.

PS: This game should have treasure chests. Classic ones. Like in IX. I miss opening treasure chests.

This game is looking to be SE's best title in years. The more I read/see of this game, the more I'm liking it. Prompto's probably gonna be my favourite character (I always like long range fighters and from his first appearence in the trailers, I liked him straight away) but all the characters look interesting. And *gasp* there doesn't seem to be a cliched annoying girl character (like Rikku, Selphie or Vanille). Still early days but I'm hopeful. I'm looking forward to this game, I can't wait!

PS: I too want treasure chests in the game like IX has.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Alright people, mystery character quiz time! Please note that I haven't analyzed every single millisecond of this trailer and these are some options off the top of my head. Enjoy and discuss!

Screen shot 2011-01-29 at 11.06.49 AM.png

Is this:

A) The villain.
    B) The same person as in the second picture.
    C) Evil ruler/king/emperor and such.
    D) Noctis' dad.
    E) Other, please state below.

Screen shot 2011-01-29 at 11.06.36 AM.png

Is this:

A) Noctis' dad.
    B) Noctis, but old.
    C) Noctis' uncle, relative, etc.
    D) Other, please state below.

Screen shot 2011-01-29 at 11.06.03 AM.png

Is this:

A) Noctis' dad.
    B) Noctis, but old.
    C) The same person as in the previous picture.
    D) Other, please state below.

Just for kicks, I'd like a game where the events span out over a character's lifetime instead of the usual weeks/months. So just for fun, I'll say the person in the last picture is Noctis, but old.

The second picture has been confirmed to be Noctis' father. And I assume the last one is too. And if I had to guess I'd say the first picture is Noctis' uncle or some other relative who wants the throne. I know, it's a bit cliched, but there's a part when Noctis' dad says "you'll never be King" and I belive Nomura said that he isn't speaking to Noctis, so it may be him. He is pointing a gun at him so it is plausible.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot View Post
    The second picture has been confirmed to be Noctis' father. And I assume the last one is too. And if I had to guess I'd say the first picture is Noctis' uncle or some other relative who wants the throne. I know, it's a bit cliched, but there's a part when Noctis' dad says "you'll never be King" and I belive Nomura said that he isn't speaking to Noctis, so it may be him. He is pointing a gun at him so it is plausible.
    Not to sure about the uncle part, but I definitely think this is who Noct's father is referring to with the whole "you cannot have the throne" bit. If you remember the 2006 TGS trailer, where Noctis enters a room and there's a mage figure and both of them enter a standoff, I think that's him. And your right about the second and last picture. The last picture is just the CGI rendering of Noct's dad.

Reminds me of The Lion King if the first pic is of another relative who wants to be king. Isn't The Lion King based on Hamlet or something? And didn't the first Versus XIII trailer have a Shakespeare quote in it? Coincidence? That could be part of the plot right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Reminds me of The Lion King if the first pic is of another relative who wants to be king. Isn't The Lion King based on Hamlet or something? And didn't the first Versus XIII trailer have a Shakespeare quote in it? Coincidence? That could be part of the plot right there.
    Lol, let's please not go back to the Shakespearean thing again. I remember when the international trailer came out and everyone jumped the gun saying it was "Romeo & Juliet" and "Hamlet", etc. It was just a stupid quote, doesn't prove anything.