Trailer.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Looks cool. Too bad I can't speak Japanese.

So is this a true sequel to KH2 or is it another side story?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'd like to say this game is supposed to be their Master Qualification Exam thingy. Aside from the God awful title, the game looks pretty solid.

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by LowCaloriePie View Post
    I'd like to say this game is supposed to be their Master Qualification Exam thingy. Aside from the God awful title, the game looks pretty solid.
    That's exactly what Yen Sid says in his brief line in the trailer. It is discussed in greater depth (SPOILER)in the secret ending to Re: Coded.

Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] takes place immediately after Kingdom Hearts 2. Nomura has called it the "prologue" to Kingdom Hearts 3. The title would seem to suggest that Sora and Riku are in some kind of dream during the game, which I suppose would explain why they're back to their younger appearances. At this point, it's probably a reasonable assumption that it is somehow part of their Master Qualification Exam.

Radiant Garden and Traverse Town are confirmed worlds, however no previously used Kingdom Hearts worlds will apparently appear in the title. Nomura has also confirmed that the bell tower from which Sora jumps in the trailer is from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the first of the confirmed Disney worlds to be making an appearance in the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

All new worlds? Awesome!

It's good to see them finally progressing the story after KH2, if only a little bit (since I don't expect much to happen if the game takes place in a dream).

I think the other side games really progress the over-arching story and are all adding up to a pretty big outcome for KH3.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I will never purchase anything with a title that ends in 3D

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I will never purchase anything with a title that ends in 3D
    Would you like some cries with that?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

FFXIV Character

Devore Jojishi (Sargatanas)

The combat system looks pretty cool, jumping off walls and swinging off poles would be pretty fun.

Damn it, yet another reason to buy a DS which I really can't afford. Why Nomura, why do you do this to me. Just bring them all out on the PS3 or PSP.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Interesting that the last 4 KH games are for handhelds, and 3 for DS... I want a PS3 Kingdom Hearts!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

You know Square isn't making smart decisions lately. Who knows when we'll get KHIII.

I've grown tired of all these spin offs. It's been Re:Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, Birth by Sleep, Re:coded, and now this. Let's not also forget the Japan only KHII Final Mix, Coded, and Birth by Sleep Final Mix. That gives us a total of 7 1/2 spinoffs.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 01-21-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Interesting that the last 4 KH games are for handhelds, and 3 for DS... I want a PS3 Kingdom Hearts!
    I think the reason for it is that the main Kingdom Hearts team that do the numbered titles have been busy with FFXIII Versus and the handheld ones have been done by a different team (with Nomura overseeing them as well).

I mean, these games really add to the overarching story of the series so they are definitely worth playing if you can play them. Especially Birth By Sleep. But I can understand wanting a larger title on a PS3 - I definitely am aching for it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

From what I read 352/8 Days and Re:coded add nothing.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

358/2 Days fleshes out the story of how Roxas came to be where we found him at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts II. It also introduced the Chamber of Repose and the Chamber of Awakening to North American audiences (previously only Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ had referred to them). It's a fair guess at this point that the search for the Chamber of Repose within Castle Oblivion will be a fairly important part of Kingdom Hearts III. Further, it introduced Xion, who, from what little I have heard about Re:coded may be important in some manner. I admittedly do not know much about Re:coded, so I cannot justify it.

While 358/2 Days was hardly as integral to the plot as was Birth by Sleep or Chain of Memories, I've begun to develop some faith that each of the titles does play a role in the continuity of the series. I was concerned with all the loose ends Kingdom Hearts II left untied, and so far each of the titles has done a remarkable job of explaining those loose ends and tying them up. I have faith that Kingdom Hearts III will be a satisfying conclusion to the series that will bring everything together.

I can understand the frustration that the series spans so many different platforms, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I enjoyed each and everyone one of them to bits so far. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days was by far my least favorite, but the last few hours of game play were so absolutely wonderful and tied in with the prologue of Kingdom Hearts II so well that I couldn't really say that I'd advise just skipping it.