Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These Abilities are Useless

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default These Abilities are Useless

I think just about every FF probably has at least one of these. There's a new ability you get and you might try it once and never use it again. Looking back I think some of these could've been worked to have been useful or at least more useful than they were.

Some of you might've used Card in VIII or Thievery in IX, but have you ever relied upon Mad Rush in FFVIII?
    The Summons in XII?
    Charge! in IX?

I think some people would've used Charge if it had worked differently. In the game it makes all of your near death party members attack at once. It would've been better if it allowed all allies to attack at once if they had full ATB bars. Also with IX I think that might've been when the breaks were first introduced. I never felt compelled to use them in that game. The couple of times that I did use them it missed. Then there's the really useless Thunder Slash that never hits. It does work properly for AI Beatrix though.

Also on my first playthrough of IV I got the summon Goblin. As soon as I used it I wondered why such a weak summon is in the game.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 01-20-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Used card a few times...... it was ok I guess

ad rush was excellent if were amazing

Summons in 12 were ok

and havent used the rest
    I would love to be happy, but unfortunately I'm too busy being awesome and kicking your ass at everything

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

many of these seemingly useless abilities are very useful in certain game challenges

They are mostly useless because the game normally is easy enough to cruise through with just pressing X
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Almost every Enemy Skill in VII and every Summon in XII.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I feel that many players think of status effect spells as being useless in a number of the earlier games in the Final Fantasy series. As I play through a Final Fantasy game, I will occasionally experiment with status effects and the results are sometimes surprising!
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries

Does anyone use Gil Toss? :/

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

HP <-> MP Switch?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

What's HP MP Switch? Which FF had it?

Quote Originally Posted by Remon View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot about that. I never used it in IX and I didn't use it in X until the end of the game when I wasn't going to use my money anyway.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

In my first play through FFVI I hardly used the Attack command. Just Magic and character special abilities. Why would Edgar ever attack when AutoCrossbow hits all and is free?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

HP <-> MP Switch is a Materia in FF7 that switches the value of your HP and your MP. So if you had 9999 HP and 999 MP you now have 999 HP and 9999 MP.

Prior to FF4 DS I found that most of the 'build up your attack power for a turn and attack for double damage next turn' moves to just be stupid. In FF4 DS where a lot of bosses counter attacked it made sense, but in a lot of times where it appears there isn't really a point.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I feel that many players think of status effect spells as being useless in a number of the earlier games in the Final Fantasy series. As I play through a Final Fantasy game, I will occasionally experiment with status effects and the results are sometimes surprising!
    This, and I agree. I'm often surprised how often status spells work and on what.

In V and VI I did, in V it's a pretty brutal ability that seriously messes up Neo-ExDeath. If you seriously don't want to build a powerful party or even use the Omega set-up, then Gil Toss is the best way to take down the final boss.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    HP <-> MP Switch?
    From what I've read, it's for the ability to quad cast KotR. Why you would ever need to do that, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    In my first play through FFVI I hardly used the Attack command. Just Magic and character special abilities. Why would Edgar ever attack when AutoCrossbow hits all and is free?
    Cause Edgar can be built into a boss killing machine by giving him the Dragoonboots, and Dragon Horn with one of his spears. Course I guess you're not using attack still... Even with the usual weapon/relic combos, the best ones still use variations of the attack command. To be honest, there really is no reason to use attack commands once you get past a certain point of the game unless you purposely don't use the Figaro Bros. Gau, and Cyan.

Break abilites are actually pretty useful in IX, at least in the early parts of the game. I usually liked employing them while Vivi used focus and Zidane was stealing, cause it makes the round you actually attack have a higher chance of being the enemies final round. As for Thunder Slash, I've read that was a glitch. The team accidentally switched the hit chances of Thunder Slash with one of the other sword moves in Steiner's move set. No one caught it apparently, sort of like how the only thing that blind status effects in VI is Strago's ability to learn Lores, it actually doesn't affect your hit%.

Quistis and Kimarhi's Blue Magic. Seriously, after a very early point in the game, they are useless and even the few abilities that might have been useful can actually be recreated in a more user friendly way (attaching the ability to weapons usually) so why would you use them beyond "eh, they happen to activate their limit break"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    HP <-> MP Switch?
    From what I've read, it's for the ability to quad cast KotR. Why you would ever need to do that, I don't know.
    This is still a lingering rumor about Final Fantasy VII. There is no way to use KOTR with Quadra Magic. You can strap on HP/MP switch and still never be able to cast it 4 times. I've tried.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    This, and I agree. I'm often surprised how often status spells work and on what.
    I really had incentive to use them until X. When a character specializes in status dealing then I think it's more likely for you to try using them. I don't think there's a status ailment I use on the regular in FF games except for maybe poison and even then it's rare. I recall the first American review of XII stating that the reviewer got tired of casting Silence on the mage type enemies and finally decided to use the gambit system. Even having reading that before I got the game I never thought of using Silence through both my playthroughs.

In V and VI I did, in V it's a pretty brutal ability that seriously messes up Neo-ExDeath. If you seriously don't want to build a powerful party or even use the Omega set-up, then Gil Toss is the best way to take down the final boss.
    I forgot there was even a gil toss in VI. Setzer had it?

Break abilites are actually pretty useful in IX, at least in the early parts of the game. I usually liked employing them while Vivi used focus and Zidane was stealing, cause it makes the round you actually attack have a higher chance of being the enemies final round. As for Thunder Slash, I've read that was a glitch. The team accidentally switched the hit chances of Thunder Slash with one of the other sword moves in Steiner's move set. No one caught it apparently, sort of like how the only thing that blind status effects in VI is Strago's ability to learn Lores, it actually doesn't affect your hit%.
    Wait a minute is doesn't? I don't really remember my playthrough of VI despite it being the last one I played I think.

Quistis and Kimarhi's Blue Magic. Seriously, after a very early point in the game, they are useless and even the few abilities that might have been useful can actually be recreated in a more user friendly way (attaching the ability to weapons usually) so why would you use them beyond "eh, they happen to activate their limit break"
    I agree with Kimarhi's blue magic not being that useful. Most people from what I heard don't even really use him anyway. For Quistis I often use her degenerator and Micro Missile magics. Her micro missiles often do 9999 damage and degenerator instantly kills enemies. I used that to gain experience faster and to acquire rare items faster.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    This is still a lingering rumor about Final Fantasy VII. There is no way to use KOTR with Quadra Magic. You can strap on HP/MP switch and still never be able to cast it 4 times. I've tried.
    Is there a specific reason why you cannot cast Knights of the Round consecutively with Quadra Magic despite having more than enough MP to do so? HP and MP Switch may have been more effective if spells had consumed more MP.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    Is there a specific reason why you cannot cast Knights of the Round consecutively with Quadra Magic despite having more than enough MP to do so? HP and MP Switch may have been more effective if spells had consumed more MP.
    From what I heard the developers didn't link KOTR and QM compatible cause of 2 reasons. 1. It costs too much MP, and 2. It is overpowered and would make the game too easy. I did read on some FF-wiki page that the makers simply over looked it. The most you can do is w-summon it and mime from there.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.