Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Voice

Default Voice

Do you find it important that the characters have a real voice or do you prefer just the text balloons more ?

I was just wondering

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I prefer just having it in text! Gives another atmosphere to the games that I like better.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This may be the wrong place to be talking about this, as this game doesn't use VO, but while I have nothing against voice acting as a whole, I always thought RPGs work better when it's text, there's just something endearing about having a moving story on screen.

Blog Entries

Text. It helps with imagination

Articles
    Blog Entries

voice acting as long as it doesn't suck
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I like anything that makes the characters more lively. Text is nice, but the more a game relies on my suspension of disbelief, the harder it is for me to get into it. That said, if any pre-FFX titles were to be remade with voice acting, the entire script would need to be redone. Some enjoyable bits of dialogue would sound extremely retarded said out loud

Also, I can't smurfing stand it when a text box says something like "*sob* *sob*" Surely there's a better way to show that a character is sobbing? It just totally ruins a tragic and powerful moment when a character shouts SCREEEEAAAAAM. (But for comedy it is okay.)

Articles
    Blog Entries

why is this on the ff8 board anyway
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i do prefer voices over txtballoons bcaus it makes the characters more alive. and u hear the emotions better.

but ofcourse it always sucks when the voice actor screwes it up

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I like anything that makes the characters more lively. Text is nice, but the more a game relies on my suspension of disbelief, the harder it is for me to get into it. That said, if any pre-FFX titles were to be remade with voice acting, the entire script would need to be redone. Some enjoyable bits of dialogue would sound extremely retarded said out loud

Also, I can't smurfing stand it when a text box says something like "*sob* *sob*" Surely there's a better way to show that a character is sobbing? It just totally ruins a tragic and powerful moment when a character shouts SCREEEEAAAAAM. (But for comedy it is okay.)
    I'm kinda the opposite. I for some God Mistaken reason, found that adding voices to FFX made the characters flatter, and less real - I know it's strange, but I kind of find RPGs to be a kind of "story" you're in contol of, and it loses it in voices. Also certain failed scenes like the Laughing Scene in FFX would have been better received - nobody got that Tidus was only laughing as a joke! That's why it sounded so unconvincing - it would have been more clear in text.

I agree with you about when they say what they're doing though - I can't think what I'd do for sobbing, but if I wanted my text based characters to scream, I'd probably type "AHHHHH!" or something like that, maybe there's a way to phonetically type a sob, or perhaps I should just break appart the normal dialogue, to show it. Either way, there's a better way than just "sob".

Articles
    Blog Entries

I thought it was pretty damn obvious they were fake laughing because it sounded super fake. How do you suppose people would have gotten that from a text balloon?
    Last edited by kotora; 01-27-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Yes, this is one of the problems that I have with text boxes. It is very difficult to see the subtlety of emotion in a dialogue unless you fully understand the characters and the situation. Voice acting allows the characters to convey their emotions much better.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I prefer voice acting if the voice acting is actually good.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I agree. Poor voice acting can make a game memorable for the wrong reasons. For example, Resident Evil comes to mind with its camp voice acting. Have you ever heard any audio clips from the game before?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I agree. Poor voice acting can make a game memorable for the wrong reasons. For example, Resident Evil comes to mind with its camp voice acting. Have you ever heard any audio clips from the game before?
    STOP! Don't... Open...that door!

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    STOP! Don't... Open...that door!
    It's a memory that's better when forgotten. But a good point none the less.

I don't think any of the pre-X FF games would have worked with voices imo. Similarly, the newer voices wouldn't have worked without voice acting. I dunno why people complain about X's voice acting, I think it's better than XII and XIII.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.