Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone else like me?

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    (with the exception of COD4 which defaulted to hardened and kicked my ass).
    It didn't default to Hardened, when you did the ship mockup you scored well enough for it to sugest hardened. It was meant to be challenging and not so easily done then again the mockup doesn't shoot back at you which makes a major difference later in game when you've got between 20 and 30 people firing god knows what in your direction and tossing grenades at you.
    Interesting. I got about 3/4 of the way through the game before giving up. It was brutal. Dunno why they recommended that difficulty considering I was in no way shape or form ready to handle some of the challenges near the end of the game. Good game though. Despite the commercial success of COD I'm happy IW don't make the game accessible to everyone.
    To have the game suggest doing it on hardened you had to score under like 23 seconds on the mockup to get Veteran as the suggested difficulty you had to score under 20 seconds (there is an achievement for this on 360). On MW2 it was under 30 seconds for the Veteran suggestion on the training mockup (and another achievement for this too). It's an interesting way of determining player skill and in theory, as you play up the levels you've learnt enough skills to be capable of surviving though you can always put it lower if you wish to. Likewise you can select veteran even without it suggesting it to you, it will however suggest that you will find it tough to complete the game and should do a lesser setting.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I'm alright at FPS. Not great, but alright.

But then I play online and kick ass. It's because they're 12yo. You should play online OP, you'd be awesome

Being 12yo is almost an advantage. The reflexes of someone that young are impressive.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    I rock at all rpg's, but when it comes to fps games, I am virtually useless in most of them except for call of duty games. I have spent a grand total of 3 hours playing cod games, but I've racked up over 200 kills online. I have no freakin idea why I am good at cod, but when it comes to games like halo, I suck.
    alot.
    times 6.
    also rainbow six
    Because COD requires no skill.
    It does when it's your first time using an xbox controller, and your playing online with a bunch of people who have had the game for months, and you accidentally switch out your machine gun for a sniper rifle and your friend decides not to tell you how to use the scope until you've mastered no scoping, then while you are trying to figure out how to get out of the scope he shoots you in the back of the head, and you have no idea how to navigte the map other than being lucky, and some jerk wont stop sending out attack dogs.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dragoon1028 View Post
    or am i just the kid whos parents bought him the longest games they could find to shut him up and who hasnt developed his motor skills yet??
    Yep, you're the only one

Its because RPGs require a brain, and patience. Shooter games require neither, they're more prone to memorization, and A.D.D.. Though I gotta say, I tend to blow at RPGs with "builds". Something that became extremely popular online. For some reason someone thought it'd be a bad idea to let people experiment with their characters, and pick a bunch of abilities that they liked and suited their play style. Instead you're supposed to read ahead towards all the abilities you should be working towards and do a bunch of crap that doesn't interest you in order to end up with suggested "build". I guess the ends justify the means, but that sorta blows on the way there. It'd be better if they balanced abilities in general, so no matter what kinda stuff you grab, you'd be comparable in the end either way. RPGs that lean towards builds are generally obsessed over by ADD-addled people with nothing better to do as well, just like the general shooter games. I generally go for games that aren't as close-minded in this regard

Articles
    Blog Entries

I am ADD, i suk at fps games, but can beat any rpg in INSERT TIMME HERE

Well "prone" doesn't really mean "required", and I was also pretty much just pulling that out of my ass xD 'Cause the two people I know who really super duper enjoy Halo and CoD are insanely impatient and obsessive and would play both for dozens of hours a week if life would let them. And I'd say Halo is just as much about stage memorization as CoD. Not sure about Reach. But my nephew seemed to know all the spawn points in the other Halo games and knew all the best places for camping and stuff so he always knew where to go for the best chances for kills. Maybe Reach made spawn points random parts of the stage, but still

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Well "prone" doesn't really mean "required", and I was also pretty much just pulling that out of my ass xD 'Cause the two people I know who really super duper enjoy Halo and CoD are insanely impatient and obsessive and would play both for dozens of hours a week if life would let them. And I'd say Halo is just as much about stage memorization as CoD. Not sure about Reach. But my nephew seemed to know all the spawn points in the other Halo games and knew all the best places for camping and stuff so he always knew where to go for the best chances for kills. Maybe Reach made spawn points random parts of the stage, but still
    Spawn points are still set but the ability to change armour ability inbetween lives and the various ways in which they work makes spawn killing a little more challenging than before but it can definitely be done, especially in games of Swat.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Most of them don't really interest me so I almost never play them. So of course I'm terrible at them on the rare occasion that I play with friends! Mostly I just do dumb like only shoot crates or not shoot anything ever, because if I try to play seriously I'll just make a fool of myself.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember the first time I played halo, I saw my reflection on a window, got scared and shot a rocket at it. It wasn't a breakable window

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Here, I wrote a guide on how to play Team Fortress 2.

1. Load the game and pick a server. And by server I mean any server running 2fort 24/7 instaspawn

2. Wait for the server to load. Takes a while; you might want to walk the dog or milk the cows while you wait.

3. Press 1

4. Press 1 again

5. Press 3

6. Find the little man in the yellow hardhat wearing the same color clothes as you. WARNING: Due to a bug that hasn't been fixed yet, the hardhat might not appear, or could be replaced with an entirely different hat altogether.

7. Press M1

8. Press X
    8.5. Press 5

9. Repeat steps 7-8.5 until you die

If you die, change teams, and then continue from step 3.

Hope this helps!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Yes, I used to play only role-playing games until I realized that I could perform well in other games.

I recently learned how to play a third-person shooter called S4 League to help familiarize myself with the first person shooter genre. Maybe you need to find a game with guns that you can enjoy and become more familiar with it? If you enjoy a game, you will discover how to play it properly on your own.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Actually, thanks heaven for you. It was definitely sad to see nowadays most gamers like us move on to and promote mindless shooters because, let's face it, there isn't much new stuff coming out there anymore from the big publishers.

I'm actually pretty average at shooters, but once I find one I like, I gradually learn the maps and general mechanics of the gameplay, then get a shooting mechanic down instinctively and do pretty good. Call of Duty I can get in the top 2-3 players kinda consistently and games like Killzone 2 and Bad Company 2 I would always get top player on.

Maybe you just haven't found a shooter out there that works for you. If all you've been exposed to is Call of Duty and Halo I wouldn't be surprised because those are the most popular, but in the minds of a lot of people who have been playing shooters for a long time, CoD is kind of average and Halo is pretty bad.

I'd highly recommend getting the platinum edition of the original half-life. You can cut your teeth on the the very good single player of a game that defined much of where gaming has gone, and has a pretty decent multiplayer component to it. Team Fortress classic is also included which is an excellent class based shooter that requires a lot of teamwork, but most of all, just an incredibly fun time. Counter-Strike is considered by many to be the BEST fps game ever, a lot of lobbies can be quite elitist but it's definitely an interesting game you can lose yourself for hundreds of hours in. The reason I recommend the platinum edition is because most computers nowadays can run it, and you can get it for fairly cheap via CD or off of Steam. Worst case scenario, you've lost a couple bucks.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    What's wrong with knowing the layout of a map? o_O That's just tactics, knowing the spawn points and spawn times of weapons can help a win along with straight skill.