Thread: Oscar Nominations

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Default Oscar Nominations

Yes it's that time again for the annual circle jerk that is the Oscars. Here's the nominations (you can scroll down to see them all):

Oscar - Nominations Announcement Live Stream

Anyway few surprises (John Hawkes and Javier Bardem are probably the only two acting nominations that weren't widely predicted), Nolan snubbed for Best Director again. Best Film will be The Social Network or The King's Speech (I hate this ten nominees nonsense), Fincher to probably win Best Director, and Portman/Firth/Bale looking good for acting wins.

Hope Trent Reznor wins Best Score!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Nolan should have been credited with at least a nomination for best director. I don't even like Inception that much but it takes real talent to come up with an idea like that and dress it up as a summer blockbuster.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm shocked and baffled by the snub for Nolan.

He probably wouldn't have won the category (I think Fincher has a lock on it) but my god, to not even be nominated? I know that the Academy is a bunch of old farts who have SERIOUS bias against any whiff of being anti-hollywood, but I didn't think it would sway them enough to make such an obvious and insulting snub. Boooooooo. What does Nolan have to do to get nominated? Direct a holocaust movie about a kid with autism?

And Andrew Garfield's snub is insulting too, especially since his performance in The Social Network was sooooo much better than Jesse Eisenberg's. All Eisenberg did was talk fast in a monotone voice. Garfield really was the heart of the film.

I'm hoping that The King's Speech takes Best Picture over The Social Network. It seems like they're gaining momentum while the Social Network is starting to lose speed. But who knows. I'd be thrilled if there was a split vote between the two and somehow Toy Story 3 managed to come out on top.

Eisenberg is great, but Garfield has been unfairly overlooked. As for Nolan, as I said before, he's seen as a popcorn peddler, and is being snubbed for it (a bit like how the Academy tends to ignore comic actors until they do a serious role, unless they're Jim Carrey in which case tough luck).

The King's Speech won the Producers Guild Award which often correlates with the Best Film choice at the Oscars, so maybe it's not a walkover for Fincher's film. It and The Social Network are the only contenders really for Best Film (I'm not daft enough to think Black Swan will actually win) anyway. They could always split Best Film and Best Director. I'd prefer The Social Network to win, but I wouldn't mind The King's Speech winning, it's certainly better than Forrest Gump beating Shawshank/Pulp Fiction or Rocky beating Taxi Driver or A Beautiful Mind winning anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    or Rocky beating Taxi Driver.
    Hey now, Rocky is fantastic and well deserved that Oscar. One of the few times the Academy got something right.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not shocked at all by Nolan's snub. Time to get betting and predicting on these awards.

Also while Rocky was glorious Taxi Driver was Taxi Driver. No film really compared to it that year. On the other hand, I'm more interested in the short film category this year.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's pretty shocking since Nolan has been nominated for virtually every precursor award prior to the Academy Awards.

Especially the big three: Golden Globes, BAFTAS, and the Directors Guild of America

I don't think I've heard of a situation where a director has been nominated for all the major awards EXCEPT the Oscars. It's kind of bizarre. Every other director nominated for the Director's Guild got an Oscar nomination, except Nolan. If a guy can put out work like Memento, The Dark Knight, and Inception and never get a directing nomination, there's something seriously screwed up going on.

And I'm just not a big fan of the Coen brothers. The only movie they've done that I kinda liked was O Brother, Where Art Thou? I really disliked Burn After Reading, No Country for Old Men, and I heard that True Grit is boring.

I think Spielberg got a lot of Best Director nominations for The Color Purple, and then was passed over at the Oscars (to add insult to injury the film got 11 nominations in all).

And the Coen Brothers are great (especially Raising Arizona, Fargo and O Brother...), I'm so happy they're finally getting the attention they deserve.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The Coens suck. Their trailers are so misleading. I kind of wanted to see True Grit but I've been burned by them so many times that I'm not going to bother anymore.

No love for Nolan? Screw you Academy!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I hope John Powell wins best original score for How to Train Your Dragon. The other nominees in this year's score category are laughable when compared to his vivacious masterpiece.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross' score for The Social Network is a long way from laughable. In fact the Best Score category is pretty good on the whole this year.

Blog Entries

No Tron for original score? Thats a pity.

and I, also dislike Nolan's snub.

Not that I ever watch these award ceremonies anyway.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 01-28-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!