Thread: Within Temptation sells out, I have no hope for humanity

Default Within Temptation sells out, I have no hope for humanity

YouTube - Within Temptation - Where Is The Edge ? (album version) + Lyrics
    Within Temptation has a new single out to their album which is going out in about two months.
    Honestly, I don't like the commerical vibe the band is personally giving me. The music video to this song looks like some sort of cheesy movie advertisement. Reminds of me of that ad they did for a video game...The Howling...
    new video
    YouTube - Within Temptation - Where Is The Edge (Official Music Video)
    Howling
    YouTube - Within Temptation - The Howling
    Only this video is awesome, actually...
    The ablum art is totally different...

Each song on “The Unforgiving” was written along O'Connell’s narrative, each based around the protagonists of the comic as well as each having their own individual style. Robert Westerholt described the album's sound as being a departure from Within Temptation's previous material.
    The first single was "Faster", which had its worldwide radio premiere on 96.3 Rock Radio on January 21 2011.
    On July 26, 2010, the band announced that they would be embarking on a European tour at the beginning of 2011 in support of their new release, however, due to Sharon den Adel's third pregnancy, the tour dates have been moved to Autumn 2011.
    The Unforgiving is the fifth studio album by Dutch symphonic metal/rock band Within Temptation, released by Roadrunner Records on March 25, 2011. The concept of the album will be based on a comic book series, written by Steven O’Connell (BloodRayne & Dark 48), and illustrated by Romano Molenaar (Witchblade, Darkness and X-Men).
    *sighs* Commericality is the devil to me, this was my favorite band. I'm ok with them growing, changing. But they had such clean and pure, strong music. They had pure themes, almost religous and they were so awesome. Now they're all about becoming commerical for the bigger buck?
    No, this being open minded blind fold people have tried to create is a load of crap. I'm not going to water down, tame my opinion. They have sold out, yes I word it that way. They have sold out!
    I'm not going to let billion dollar corperations who only care about money disarm my opinions about my favorite band. A change in writting, anything, would have been acceptable, anything but this...The soul of the band has been raped by predators, blood thristy, money hungry predators and now it will be sucked dry, shamed, it's innocence entirely taken away!
    Open minded my ass, it's a social construct that's it's obvious in nature to be open minded, consider both sides...when it takes way what's obvious right in front of our faces! It's a blind fold! They have sold out!It's common knowledge that I'm being oh so closed minded, when in reality, major consumers don't act on personal opinions, persons insights, all they see is MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!!!! People like us in reality are the only ones with a real damned opinion! Don't let major corperations who sell things out take that way from you!
    This is the last straw!

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe you're totally overreacting to this. Seriously the album is more akin to a soundtrack written by a specific artist from the post you've given and the sound of the actual songs than an actual entry in to their catalogue. Much like how AC/DC are the sole band used in the entirity of the Iron Man 2 movie. Except AC/DC didn't write the songs speciffically for the movie the producers simply chose the songs from the vast back catalogue to suit.

As for the music video for the Howling, you gotta think the song wasn't written purely for the game it was a song that was chosen for the game much as 30 Seconds To Mars' This Is War was chosen for Dragon Age Origins or Faunts M4 Part 2 was chosen for Mass Effect hell even like how recently songs by artists such as Fifty Cent have made it in to games like Call of Duty. The games developer selected a song they thought fitted the idea of the game and requested that they make a music video to accompany it along with it's actual use.

On the other hand these songs have been written based around a clear story written for the story so to speak. Therefore it is safe to assume the videos (probably made for a total budget of around $10,000 each really) would probably play out like a made for tv movie more than a hollywood blockbuster. The Howlings dev team probably had a budget in the millions for the game and then considering how little special effects or actual real footage is used spent about $5000 on the video (excluding rights payment and the band's fee for appearing)

As for their sound being raped, their innocence being gone, I own everything Within Temptation have ever released, I own remixes of their stuff even and cover versions. I'm going to say this now, this album's sole released song is no more commercial in terms of sound than anything else from their last album. Sure lyrically, the religious overtones are gone and most of the apocalyptic/medieval tones too. Then again the song was written speciffically to accompany a comic. You can't expect them to do the same things they normally would when writing songs to a brief.

Stop being so over-reactive, take a damn chill pill and either don't buy the album because you're not interested in a soundtrack to a comic book series or don't buy it because you don't like the lyrics on this particular album...because it was written as a soundtrack to a comic strip but drop this whole commerciality is wrong and evil and they sold out crap. Frankly any artist today who can boast of a global following, a multimillion $ fortune and a record deal on any major label (which is all but guaranteed to be neccessity considering the recession wiped out 80% of smaller labels that were around prior to the recession's start) are now what are strictly considered a commerical enterprise, they all sold out the minute they went from playing bar room gigs at $10 a ticket to stadiums and festivals at anywhere between $30 and $140 a ticket.
    Last edited by Iceglow; 01-25-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Everything IceGlow just said reminds me of Coheed and Cambria. Who I'm not a huge fan of, but every fan I have known of them seems to agree that they're still pretty underground. I don't get how being like them could be anything close to selling out. And honestly I've enjoyed the evolution of their sound. I really didn't much care for them when they were more metal and stuff. Only their previous two or three albums really made me into a fan. (And they're actually probably my favorite band right now). I haven't heard any of their new stuff. But I have my doubts that I'd suddenly jump ship with them. And I'm really not sure any band from Finland is going to sell out the way we're used to in other western countries. Hell I can hardly imagine a gothic band being accepted enough in other western areas of the world to even be able to sell out in the way you're accusing them of

Edit: Just listened to that music video and I really don't think that sound is selling out at all. And if it is, its a terrible attempt at it. That's not a mainstream or pop-culture sound at all. So I don't think there's anything to worry about. If they wanted to sell out they'd have to sound a lot different than that. "What Have You Done Now" sound more like selling out (even though it was awesome, it had a closer to mainstream rock sound)
    Last edited by Vyk; 01-25-2011 at 05:57 PM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Anyone who uses the term 'selling out' is just asking to be ignored.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Not a bad song but is this meant to be insulting to me?

I love Tool <3

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Not a bad song but is this meant to be insulting to me?
    No, but in retrospect I see how there's probably no other way to take that. I'm sorry! What I meant was, pretty much all musicians are sell outs. It can be a really expensive hobby, and when you do it full time you give up other methods of making money. And what cooler way to make money than this? What I'm saying is, a band you like is thriving! Be happy!