Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF8 Worth it?

Default FF8 Worth it?

I have never completed ff8 and I have wanted to for years. There is nothing that I dislike about the games only I lose interest at between half way and the end of disc 1.

Does the game get better after disc 1?

I first came in to FF series in 2001 with FF9. I have completed 7,9,10,10-2 and 13. It has really bugged me that 8 is missing from my completed games list, is it really worth another shot at completion?.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I say it is, but it all depends on the person. Every FF I've started with the exception of V, I've beaten it. The first disc is just a tip of the iceberg story wise, but difficulty wise it doesn't get moderately hard until you fight Cerberus.

Also congrats on IX in 01.

Disc 1 is only the beginning. Disc 2 is where goes down. (Battle between Gardens and then the assault on Galbadia!) Disc 3 takes a new turn as things finally calm down and get...funky. Disc 4 is the start of the most scary, awesome final dungeon in the game.

so yeah. play it till the end FFwarden.

i think the game is decent. its defenatly not the best in the series but i think its a decent play through

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I think we had a similar thread before where pretty much everyone agreed that everything gets better after the first disc!

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If your a fan of romantic storylines, plot twists that are so cleverly done you need to play the game more than once to see how the whole thing was right in front of you the whole time, anime (not too required), an interactive battle system, and was impressed with FFVII. I'd recomend the astounding FFVIII.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

Yeah... VII and VIII have been battling for game supremacy in my head for a long time, but where some of VII's most epic moments were early in the game, unfortunately VIII suffers from some severe pacing issues early on. Deling City Sewers. D-District prison. The world map run around because even on my 4th play through I forget to go directly to the train station on the way to Deling City.

Do yourself a favor, play through at LEAST the battle between the gardens before you give up on this one.

Well I'm convinced. I have wanted to complete it for years. Hopefully I can find the old memory card and start after the bit with the train sabotage.

This is actually pretty close to being my top favorite. The story is pretty damn good. I might agree with the pacing though.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

It definitely changes after the first disc. For some people it gets better, for some it gets worse. Definitely a weird one anyway. I liked it though! And the final dungeon and boss is just the coolest thing ever.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GhandiOwnsYou View Post
    Do yourself a favor, play through at LEAST the battle between the gardens before you give up on this one.

Yeah, that's a fair suggestion.

Yeah the battle between the Gardens was absolutely epic! Definitely one of my favorite moments in any game. To me the whole game is great. definitely one of my top favorites.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The first two discs are my favorite even if Disc 2 does have that one silly plot twist. The game takes a step into bizarro territory once you get to disc 3, and the plot has a really bad tendency to create plot elements that serve as a basis for one of the games many plot twists but then the story completely ignores it afterwards despite it never actually being resolved. Squall also loses his luster by Disc 3 and don't expect the cast to have anymore character development beyond Disc 1. Laguna is still awesome though.

Gameplay mostly comes down to how well you learn to exploit the Junction system and I do mean exploit. It's incredibly easy to break the game so don't expect too much challenge unless you can't figure out how the system works, or consciously don't use exploitative abilities like Mag 60% or Str 40% which grant huge damage bonuses to a character.

Beyond that, I feel the game is worth checking out, maybe not go out of your way but if you want to see the full gambit of the series this entry is not so bad as it's reputation would imply.

I think the first disc and most of the second disc is pretty good. It does get a little weird eventually though, but otherwise I think it has some really good moments that make it worth playing. By the way I really do love the last dungeon, it has a great atmosphere, soundtrack and really nice architecture.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Disc 1 is the peak of FFVIII. If you aren't grabbed by the mid-point of disc 1 then I'd give up. The later discs take you to some interesting locales but the story is just absurd. Not in a way that can be ignored either, I was actually getting quite irritated by it. If you take the package as a whole though, FFVIII is still quite a good game.