Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Villains (Non FF/DQ/KH)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

ZOMG! Greatest Villains (Non FF/DQ/KH)

Who do you feel are the best villains in the Squenix library? This spanning both Squaresoft and Enix's past titles as well.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I personally loved Lavos. Less poorly written dialogge and emotional baggage, more like a force of nature.

Though I confess I don't have an extensive experience with a lot of SE's other catalog.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't either so my only choices are Lavos and Dollmaster.

Sho Minamimoto from The World Ends With You was brilliant. So entertaining and sinister.

I remember Thantos from Secret of Mana fondly, don't remember why though, I need to replay that game sometime.

And a final world of praise for the almighty one himself, (SPOILER)Booster, from Mario RPG

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dear god, this is making me sad to see how few people (except NeoCracker) have actually played a decent chunk of Square/enix's non main flagship games. No wonder Front Mission games rarely get released out here...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lessee... There's a couple antagonists from Xenogears that have really decent personalities, like Ramsus and Krelian, but the general terror Miang always invoked in me is pretty incomparable. Lavos is nice and all, but it was the Time Devourer that evoked all the emotion: (SPOILER)sucking up the entire universe out of pure despair, and it's Schala, dammit! Eve from "Parasite Eve" is looking promising, but I've only just started the game, so...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    And a final world of praise for the almighty one himself, (SPOILER)Booster, from Mario RPG
    Oh geez I forgot about that Super Mario RPG. So I guess my third choice is Smithy.

I don't believe there are any video game villains that do anything for me besides Kuja.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Booster for shizzle. His theme song rocked too.

Also Lynx from Chrono Cross, though Miguel was my favorite boss from that game.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Dear god this is making me sad to se how few people (except NeoCracker) have actually played a decent chunk of Square/enix's non main flagship games. No wonder Front Mission games rarely get released out here...
    Don't get your hopes up to much, I never played Front Mission.

Though since Square and Enix are currently merged, can we count old enix games like Ogre Battle? If so, props need to be given to Gares for his persistence.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Booster for shizzle. His theme song rocked too.

Also Lynx from Chrono Cross, though Miguel was my favorite boss from that game.
    God damn Miguel, that guy was hard as hell. Though not so much if you have a trap for Nova, or whatever the big scary all hitting white spell of his is.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Azala (if I remember her name right) from the B.C Age of Crono Trigger always peaked my interest with her speech about how humans only won the evolutionary race because of outside interference.

The Axem Rangers from Mario RPG. They mades me laughs back in the day.

I can't remember her name but the girly with the german accent from Front Mission 4. I loved that game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll name a few...

Krelian (Xenogears) - Awesome armchair villain who also dabbles in genetic engineering and scientific experiments on non willing human subjects hat may put Hojo to shame in just the sheer scale and different ways to make monsters out of men. His whole goal wipes out most of humanity and nearly ended the universe by trying to make contact with god. The crap he did to Ramsus alone makes him a glorious bastard among glorious bastards.

krelian.jpg

Id (Xenogears) - For those who want some mindless action, look no further than Id, whom every scene he appears in the game is both horrifying and awesome. Granted he's actually kinda easy when you get to fight him but in terms of cutscene powers the guy is a monster, and a total sociopath out to destroy everything.

Grahf (Xenogears) - I'm not a fan boy...Yes you are... but damn if Xenogears didn't have some of the best villains in a JRPG. Grahf is basically a mix of both Krelian and Id with a healthy dose of Darth Vader with DBZ powers just to give him flavor. His goal was to take over the main characters body so he could use both their awesome powers to kill god. I still know people with full body shivers if I utter his catch phrase "Do you want the power?".

Thanatos
    (Secret Of Mana) I have a thing for ancient evils possessing bodies of young men don't I? He was pretty awesome in SoM and really stood out among the Empire. He has an awesome final boss fight and a wicked boss battle theme... [WARNING SoM SPOILERS]

Sydney Losstarot
    (Vagrant Story) - Sure he's not really the main villain but he's definetly one of the best antagonists I've seen in a game. His mind screw on Ashley, his nasty summon powers and his awesome illusions made him a pretty unsettling figure to be charging after. This scene may have some MAJOR VAGRANT STORY SPOILERS, but it was the scene that just shows how badass this guy was.

Lavos (Chrono Trigger) - I usually don't go for "Forces of Nature" type villain, but the way Lavos works in Chrono Trigger's story and the mythos the games history is just spectacular. I take that back, it's because of Lavos that I don't care for Forces of Nature villains cause none have come remotely close to how awesome Lavos was. Not only the destroyer of three civilizations in the CT timeline, but even responsible for Human evolution and their ascent to being the dominant species all for the sake of his own evolution. Lavos never speaks and most of it's actions can simply be thought of either being against a highly evolved intellect beyond human comprehension or one of a baser being like a parasite. He's also the only boss who gets his own ending if he beats you...

I'll probably think of more but these are some of my top choices thus far.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I guess I'm always so excited to see Id show up that I don't even think of him as a villain anymore.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

After WK's post, I'm beginning to see how similar Deus is to Lavos. Probably not a coincidence, considering some of the people worked on both games.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Everything in EVO. I liked the fact that there were 4D villains in Star Ocean TTEOT but the villains individually did nothing for me. I don't even remember any of them except the angels/demons because they are bastards in battle (I'm weak)

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    After WK's post, I'm beginning to see how similar Deus is to Lavos. Probably not a coincidence, considering some of the people worked on both games.
    It's not surprising, Xenogears was originally going to be a Chrono Trigger sequel but was changed to an independent project early on. Despite that, several of the core members who worked on Trigger and later Cross made Xenogears as well. That's why we also have the "Three Wise Men from a floating city".