View Poll Results: What's your thoughts on franchising the individual entries?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sequels are awesome! I love seeing all my faves again.

1 5.26%
  • I don't mind an occasional sequel/prequel. As long as I still get a new IP once in awhile.

9 47.37%
  • Smurfing sequels/prequels/and spin-offs are ruining the series! Give me FFXV already!

9 47.37%
  • Reaganomics!

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sequels, Prequels, and Franchises

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    And like Roogle said, it's going to be a sequel they should have the similar battle/class/whatever system or at least stay in the same genre. Going from a turn based RPG to a third person shooter is a big leap.

And since they do something different with each new proper numbered entry, and at this point they could become there own series.
    Yes, I feel like Square Enix tries to make its sequels stand out from their predecessors with only a few exceptions. My personal tastes for a sequel revolve around the close correlation between a sequel and its predecessor. Like I said before, one of my favorite pairs of games is Lunar: The Silver Star and Lunar: Eternal Blue because both games keep a consistent feel and gameplay mechanics.

If we look at some of the more recent Square Enix sequels like Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus, then we see a striking difference that turns fans of the original game away. If we look at specific instances like Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, then we see most people pleased with the gameplay at the very least as it is essentially the same game at its core.

My recommendation to game developers is that they try not to stray too far with the original material and appeal to the fans of the original game. For example, I wonder if a sequel in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII would have been better received if it took was very similar to Final Fantasy VII in gameplay? What if the story was about a new cast of characters, with some returning characters like Marlene and Denzel, in a world Twenty Minutes Into The Future? No, you might not be happy with the story, but you would at least be happy with the returning gameplay and updated graphics of a game that you loved at the very least.

Final Fantasy XIII has its share of fans, too. I hope it sticks closely to the original with some minor changes to address player complaints rather than try to reinvent the wheel while only recycling existing graphics and story elements.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A little devil's advocate or trolling (you choose)

What about the prospect that XIII-2 is coming out less than two years after the first one and the fact the game had several unanswered questions and constantly teased about extra content within the actual game through the analects. Does this not give the impression SE had the sequel planned from the beginning and purposely held back content to make this game rather than actually tell a complete story. What about other series that do so?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I would way rather them make a sequel to a game they intended to add on to then have sequels to self contained games.

Though I don't appreciate leaving a game inadequately developed to leave room for the sequel (for the record I attribute FF13's lack of extrapolation to ineptitude, not holding out), if it is written properly I don't see why we can't have planned sequels.

In the last decade FF titles (an admittedly small sample) seem to have gone away from the 'big world' concept they used to have. In the old titles before you go and fight the last boss you have basically mastered every area of the world, and are the most bad ass thing on the planet sans the last boss. Having the cast of FF4-9 face off against a new foe is a stupid concept, as you have been everywhere and know there isn't a hidden evil empire over the horizon, and even if there was you are strong enough to handle it. (I absolutely DESPISE having a sequel where your lv99 own everything party starts again at lv1.)

In a game like FF12 or 13 there is still a ton of unexplored world. It actualy makes sense that there could be threats out there greater than the party has experienced before. Especially in the case of FF13 where (SPOILER)they aren't l'Cie any more. So long as they give past party members the dignity and relative strength they deserve it could work quite well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If I'm not mistaken none of this was really going on before Square "merged" with Enix. I feel like ever since they dug themselves into a hole with "The Spirits Within," they've been trying to climb out of that by exploiting all of the existing IP at that time. Which is probably why they didn't have a Final Fantasy ready by the end of the first year of the PS3's cycle. I was defending them for a long time up until recently because I actually enjoyed the hell out of the remakes and spinoffs I was playing, but FFXIII changed all that. You can make quaint games all you like, but when that affects the main franchise, I got a problem. I know it's childish to complain that a pretty good game wasn't an amazing game, but something needs to change. Their best minds shouldn't be mining the games that already came out for everything they can.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If it's a good game and they don't ruin the original game, then I don't mind at all. This of course comes down almost entirely to opinion, so I can't really criticise any company for doing such a thing.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    If I'm not mistaken none of this was really going on before Square "merged" with Enix. I feel like ever since they dug themselves into a hole with "The Spirits Within," they've been trying to climb out of that by exploiting all of the existing IP at that time. Which is probably why they didn't have a Final Fantasy ready by the end of the first year of the PS3's cycle. I was defending them for a long time up until recently because I actually enjoyed the hell out of the remakes and spinoffs I was playing, but FFXIII changed all that. You can make quaint games all you like, but when that affects the main franchise, I got a problem. I know it's childish to complain that a pretty good game wasn't an amazing game, but something needs to change. Their best minds shouldn't be mining the games that already came out for everything they can.
    Why FFXIII? VII and X already did it. Just curious as to what you find so different about this particular number.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Why FFXIII? VII and X already did it. Just curious as to what you find so different about this particular number.
    I think you misunderstand what Bolivar meant. He's saying that while they were dumping resources into multiple sequels and spinoffs they were spending five years making what many would describe as a lackluster main series entry at best. I think as he sees it the sequels and spinoffs may have taken resources away from XIII. He's not saying he has a problem with XIII getting sequels, unless I'm completely misunderstanding him, which is possible since I've been awake for 10 minutes.

I'm not convinced myself. I'll still chalk up that train wreck to a largely directionless and poorly run development team to be honest. Maybe things would have been better if they trimmed the fat on many of their dev teams and maybe consolidated some of them so they have fewer teams made up of their best talent.

As to the topic itself, I don't have a problem with sequels really, though I feel most don't warrant it for all of the same reasons Velo mentioned. I also think that Square needs to take a step back and find out where their real problems lie right now. They're not struggling at the moment because they aren't milking their big franchises enough. They're struggling because somewhere along the way they either forgot how to make great games, or beat the drive to do it out of their really talented people. I find it sad that EA has had a better track record in supporting developers with a new idea or vision for a new IP over the last five years than other big companies like Square. My how things change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Here's something for you all to read.

Final Fantasy: Officially Burnt Out- Destructoid

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I agree that the naming doesn't make sense, but as for how they used to be released once every few years, on the contrary, they used to be released more frequently.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    No, there was FF Adventure, Mystic Quest, Tactics, Chocobo dungeon , Crystal Chronicles, FFX-2 (In development) before merger. Now you have more platforms than before, bigger market so it is not unreasonable for FF to expand their properties.

Apparently, you can't differentiate between obvious troll and substantial opinionated articles that is far from often deal with childhood memories.
    The fanbase for FF is huge and varied, it is extremely shortsighted and narrowminded to take what he feel about FF personally and project it on
    everyone else. That would be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

Well. I actually agree with this article. It's all opinion of course, but he has a point...Sure, the fanbase is huge, and that's exactly why Squenix keeps making sequels and prequels and spin-offs. Honestly I'm sick of it all and I stopped playing FF at X, well in the middle of X. Before that the games were all great. But I guess, like mentioned, when you have a cow you gotta milk it for all it's worth.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_doll View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

Well. I actually agree with this article. It's all opinion of course, but he has a point...Sure, the fanbase is huge, and that's exactly why Squenix keeps making sequels and prequels and spin-offs. Honestly I'm sick of it all and I stopped playing FF at X, well in the middle of X. Before that the games were all great. But I guess, like mentioned, when you have a cow you gotta milk it for all it's worth.
    I respect your opinion of FF, but it is obvious that people who have same opinion like you aren't actually interested in these games anymore because they want games that they found them to be pioneering games of this era. SQEX pioneered on high expectation. They no longer to release product that meets that expectation.

For instance take a look at Vivi22 comment on the subject, he seemed to think there was a mystique quality in Squaresoft games that is magically disappeared from FF series and he seemed to ask this question "Why can't Japanese studios do this and that like western studios?".

In other words : Japanese gaming is dead: chapter 334.

You will find the similar articles for JRPGs, Japanese survival horror, Square, Zelda, MGS, RE, Ridge Racer, Gran truismo, etc. all of these articles have common bottom line which is "why these games aren't that magical and gifts from heaven like they used to".

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    If there's one big moment where you could say they "sold out" it'd be FFII. Final Fantasy was to be their last game after all! They only made a second because the first got them monies. And boy am I glad they did. Those first few in the series weren't really my thing.

(Also, Crisis Core is pretty awesome if you both like FFVII and can ignore the existence of Genesis. He is by far my least favorite villain in the series, maybe even ever.)
    Crisis Core is fine as long as you can ignore every character it retconned in. Every character who was actually part of the original story was brilliant and excellent. Every single character it tried to add just wound up painful. And Genesis was the worst.

Oh, and JRPGs are only going away because their developers are idiots who aren't paying attention. There are still plenty of awesome JRPGs being churned out and getting incredibly positive reviews. The games are doing brilliantly, and the demand is there, the developers just don't seem to notice how well they are doing. Probably because they are all for handheld systems. Now, if you'll excuse me, my DS calls.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 02-07-2011 at 05:29 AM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post

Apparently, you can't differentiate between obvious troll and substantial opinionated articles that is far from often deal with childhood memories.
    The fanbase for FF is huge and varied, it is extremely shortsighted and narrowminded to take what he feel about FF personally and project it on
    everyone else. That would be silly.
    While I would agree he does not speak for everyone, the negativity around the franchise is not as minor either. Examples:
    Can SquareEnix Final Fantasy Rise Again? | The Bitbag

Has the Fantasy finally run out of gas? - PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, PC, PSone, SNES, NES opinion at Thunderbolt Games

Can Final Fantasy Still Save Square Enix?

All released within days of each other I might add. Maybe it's just SE's week to be the punching bag. Still, even on other gaming forums, I'm not seeing the old devotions to the series. So while it is very unlikely that people feel FF is scratching the bottom of the barrel, I do feel their is a general consensus that FF has been in decline for awhile (how long varies of course).

As for the short development time between games, it was about three years for most of the titles. Only VIII-X were released consecutively and personally I don't feel this strategy really worked for all the games benefits. VIII and X always felt incomplete and IX was completely overshadowed by the "sequel to VII" and "the first FF on the next generation platform" so I wouldn't mind going back to the 3 year waiting period. If SE could finally shelve out a game that deserved 5+ year development cycle (fingers cross on Versus XIII), I'm sure most people wouldn't mind the wait.

They're making ANOTHER remake of IV??!
    Seriously, I've had enough of that lot. Why don't they remake VI? It was just as epic as IV, if not more, and is easily as popular as the big names in the series like VII and X. Maybe it's just because I hated the DS remake of 4 (the horrific voice acting did nothing for me). Maybe it's because I've never enjoyed a single sequel or spin-off to any of the main games in the series. And maybe that's because...I'm a puppet?
    I personally wish Squeenix would stop with the sequels, prequels, spin-offs, etc etc etc. When I heard XIII-2 was coming out, I just hung my head.
    If they really want to continue on this path, why don't they stop re-re-re-hashing games they've already remade/ported more than twice (I, II, IV being the main culprits) and focus on re-making beloved yet ignored games like VI or IX?
    At this rate I'm ready to pack it away.
    Time...
    It will not wait...
    No matter how hard you hold on, it escapes you...

Currently playing through the main series...
    Playing: FFII
    Completed: FFI

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade
    There are still plenty of awesome JRPGs being churned out and getting incredibly positive reviews. The games are doing brilliantly, and the demand is there, the developers just don't seem to notice how well they are doing. Probably because they are all for handheld systems. Now, if you'll excuse me, my DS calls.
    Personally I find it a bit unfair to compare a DS JRPG to a 360/PS3 JRPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno
    I wouldn't mind going back to the 3 year waiting period.
    Do you mean three years between the start of work and end of work, or three years between releases of numbered Final Fantasy games? Because the earlier FF's actually more often than not had less time spent on them. Only VII, XII and XIII were released three years after an earlier FF. And XIII had four years of development, yet it's the one that has brought about such articles as are being linked to in this thread.