Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XII is Star Wars

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Final Fantasy XII is Star Wars

Oh yes, it's another one of those threads. Prepare to have your minds blown as I take a deeper look into Final Fantasy XII.

We'll start off on the more obvious similarities.

Vaan is obviously Luke. A sandy-haired youth who dreams of leaving the desert to become a pilot/sky pirate? Come on, that's just ridiculously too similar! Also, they're both quite possibly the most annoying little bastards in their respective stories. Don't get me wrong, I love SW and I respect the Skywalker name, but Luke was such a bitch in A New Hope. And Vaan's voice just bothers the hell out of me.

I never used Penelo, I thought she had absolutely nothing to do with anything going on in the game. It could be my own personal beef with her character that I dub her C-3PO, but I don't care. R2-D2 is too good for her because he was actually useful, openin' doors and all the time.

Ashe and Leia, who saw that comin'? They're both feisty former princesses who have a chip on their shoulders from the government that threatens the world/galaxy. Personally, I wouldn't mind skipping ahead to that scene in Return of the Jedi where Ashe is wearing that slave bikini. Can I get a high five... Can I... moving on.

Balthier Solo! So many similarities between these two it's just ridiculous. Both are outlaws, Balthier a sky pirate and Han a smuggler. Both have a furry sidekick (see below). Both were once part of the enemy military. That's right, my inner nerd is showing! Balthier was once a Judge, as I'm sure all of you who played this game are aware, but did you know that Han Solo was once a lieutenant in the military of the First Galactic Empire!?

You did? Well ...

Enter furry sidekick. Yet another coincidental background in this tale! Both Fran and Chewbacca hail from forest environments. Their homes are identical. Huts built into hollowed out trees and wooden bridges connecting them all. They also both ride bitch in the ships. What up wit dat? And both have strange dialects. Chewy sounds like a door creaking on its hinges and Fran's accent is... well you have a tough time making out what she's saying because all your attention is on her revealing outfit.

The wise old (in one case) war veteran. Both are loyal to the side of good and feel the need to protect their companions, though only one died for them.

As much as it pains me to say this, Ba'Gamnan and Boba Fett are one and the same. A bounty hunter chasing down the smuggler/sky pirate? Seriously, how much more similar can we make Han and Balthier?

It only gets dumber from here on out.

You would think that Vayne Solidor and Gabranth would be our candidates for Vader and Sidious, seeing as how they have direct ties with the Empire and make the most sense. Vader and Sidious' relationship is more complex than that. Much like these two XII characters:

Doctor Cidolfus Demen Bunansa is our Darth Vader and Venat is Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious. You might be thinking why. They don't fit the bill. Where's the scary helmet?

Vader and Palpatine's relationship is a lot like Cid and Venat's. Vader was lured to the Dark Side with promises of ultimate power, and Cid, being a scientist, got some powerful information from the Occuria. Venat, however, was just using Cid as a puppet to get what he wanted, a lot like how Palpatine was using Vader.

Also, Cid and Vader were cut down by their own children (Vader not so much, but that severed hand and labored breathing certainly wasn't in his favor to begin with). Not so much “Hey look, these are dead on rip-offs”, but just interesting similarities.

And yet more similarities that have no pictures 'cause I'm lazy.

Archadian Empire – Galactic Empire

Party – Rebel Alliance

Urutan-Yensa – Tusken Raiders

Garif – Ewoks – A tribe of furry people who don't realize we have technology

Viera – Wookiees

Judges – Glorified Stormtroopers

And the pièce de résistance, the smurfing Death Star. Oh it's there, you just need to look really hard.

You're not looking hard enough.

Star Wars!

I once asked this Eric guy if I should watch Star Wars and what it was about. He told me that if I had played Final Fantasy XII, I've seen Star Wars.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

htf do you remember that?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW! My mind is blown. Squenix are just rip offs.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I watched A New Hope with the woman last night. I was like HEY THAT GUY IS BIGGS AND HIS BUDDY IS WEDGE THEY'RE RECURRING CHARACTERS IN FINAL FANTASY and she just I'm watching Star Wars already, lay off the nerdy dude.

My woman calls me dude

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Star Wars is Flash Gordon!

Blog Entries

hahaha It fits so well!

The Viera = Wookie thing is too much.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Remon View Post
    The Viera = Wookie thing is too much.
    I can't tell what side of the "too much" fence you're sitting on.

They are the same culturally. Wood-dwellers! Play through to Eruyt village and then go to Kashyyyk on KotOR. Same freaking setup, yo! Plus, Wookiees and Viera are dead sexy. I love me some walking carpet action.

Anyways... observe!

Kashyyk...

And Eruyt...

Bloody hell! There are no good images of Eruyt. I'll make my own!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Oh god press yes I always press no accidentally because I'm punching through the dialogue and I have to hear it FIVE HOOTING TIMES

Blog Entries

The hair just makes them that different.

Ha ha,
    Hate to admit it, but you're right.
    But then again, FF (least latest ones, 7,8,10) seemed to like references to Star Wars (I believe Briggs and what's his other name have been in the ff since 5).
    What I hate is the elaborate maze built on FF12.
    What I liked most about FF was the open space with little dungeons (mazes?).
    FF12 is just a rat maze.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh man, Biggs and Wedge are on a completely different level. This is bigger than XII guys. This is series wide! We have to warn the public!

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

smurf it. It's a risky maneuver but I'm going for it! Biggs and Wedge are in XII!

Biggs Darklighter

Luke's Childhood friend. He takes off for "the academy" at the beginning of A New Hope (in a deleted and very hard to acquire scene).

Wedge Antilles

You remember that asshole that questioned Luke's ability to shoot a wamp rat in a T-16 back home? Yeah, that's him. You can bet your sweet tuckus he went home and cried his eyes out 'cause he wasn't Admiral Ackbars favorite pupil anymore. No one can do that, not even a computer. Shut up!

Gibbs and Deweg (anagrams of Biggs and Wedge)

Ever the comic relief for FF, Gibbs and Deweg are the Archadian soldiers that block your path to the Mosphoran Highwaste in Nalbina, stating that it is too dangerous for travelers at this time. There are many cutscenes with these two, talking about the sand settling in places where "sand shouldn't be" and other soldierly complaints until one of them reveals they hate the stink of Chocobos or some . I don't quite remember.

Also, this has been brought to my attention:

Quote Originally Posted by Remon View Post
    The hair just makes them that different.

Do you remember this picture?

Well there's something else you may have overlooked.

I know I certainly did.

I'll show you.

They both use bows! Granted, Chewy's is a bowcaster, but it's a bow nonetheless.

And the hair thing? Psh! I think it's enough that both sidekicks to the handsome rogues are animalisitc. Where Chewy has a full body beard going on Fran has bunny ears, a tail, and claws on each of her appendages. I think where the hair falls short everything else makes up for it.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This is also relevant.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eric dude, youre aa freak but I love it so. Plus Basch is like 40 which compared to our party is pretty smurfing old. Also Obi Wan Kenobi is a war vet or did we just forget the clone wars?