Thread: So, about the plot. Major -spoilers-, all the way to the end. Beware and such.

Default So, about the plot. Major -spoilers-, all the way to the end. Beware and such.

I hesitate to make this at all. It is not made out of hatred, though feel free to hate me or the game or both because intense hate posts are funny. I genuinely make this so someone explains the end to me.

I just beat it yesterday. Frankly, I don't understand much of what happened later on. I have only played this game beginning to end once, but...

Well, I understand ol' Bart wanted them to be stronger. He says he does this and gives us presents and fights us sometimes for the LOL so they can destroy Orphan. Fal'Cie can't do it, but Pulse l'Cie can. Like, Cocoon is full of silly hippies and were crafted to die for some Maker to return and be awesome, or something. He wants one of them to become Ragranok, destroy Orphan, and condemn Cocoon to destruction as sacrifices. At least, that's how I caught it all.

When they return in the last act and come face to face with Orphan, they seem to be giving another speech about choice, there's some talk about saving the world, and then they stab the crap out of him.

Weren't they told this was bad many times? When they kill the shiny ugly face, the whole Death Star falls towards Pulse on a huge crash course. They all hold hands while falling through the air and look rather distressed when Fang and Vanille separate. Those two decide to scissor into Ragnarok and use it to create a pretty pillar that saves everyone. What was the plan B had Vanille and Fang not done this? What exactly were Lightning and her sidekicks doing that saved anyone?

Fal'Cie control is presented as less than desirable in the long run. That's great, but they still just knowingly killed the battery that keeps their home afloat, didn't they? Perhaps they were in such a lose-lose situation and all their talk about destiny made them decide they should all face consequences of their own volition instead of be controlled so much? The citizens wouldn't listen to them or change their minds anyway, so just kill Orphan because smurf it all? Or, well, there was also some talk about future visions of laughing and smoking pot as a big group. Maybe they had felt tricked so many times they thought he was messing with them about everything and anything.

I don't know, the overall goals of everyone is confusing to me. I feel as if I am missing something.

One more! At a certain point, it looks like Fang was going to kill Vanille before being stopped by the others. Vanille made it clear to me she would not chew up Cocoon and never wavers from this as far as I can tell, so what's up with that. Unless I highly misinterpreted what was happening.

I'm left with this:

1. I only played it once, forgot a lot, and didn't put it together correctly.
    2. The plot is easy and I am merely too dumb to understand it.
    3. The story is just illogical and doesn't make sense.
    4. It was all a Moogle's dream.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 02-08-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I'm more concerned how Fang and Vanille, once becoming Ragnarok, the embodiment of hatred and rage, somehow manage to retain control of their own mind and save everyone.

Deus ex machina anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I'm more concerned how Fang and Vanille, once becoming Ragnarok, the embodiment of hatred and rage, somehow manage to retain control of their own mind and save everyone.

Deus ex machina anyone?
    The power of love and friendship, Ouch!

Either that or it was a side effect of having two people transform into Ragnarok instead of just one. Two minds could control the rage and hatred, while one could not.

But probably it's just the love and friendship stuff.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the most part it is a Deus Ex Machina caused by the power of love and friendship but I'm pretty sure XIII-2 will retcon it and say it was the Maker's or some other diety's intervention.

Personally, I liked my version of the ending better...

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I'm sure there's enough room for everyone to rough it out on Pulse. It seems much larger than Cocoon. I'm sure out of all of that plant life some of it is edible. Though I suppose whatever wiped out the previous humans on Pulse could be a problem. Also yeah. Final Fantasy. Love and friendship.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post

Deus ex machina anyone?
    You've never played a post 8-bit JRPG/watched anime, have you?
    I like Kung-Fu.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Your attempt at humor is uninspiring.

Consistently utilization of the same deus ex machina does not validate its use; in fact, I might go so far as to say that its status as a cliché only hinders it further.