Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Top 11 Dumbest Spider-Man Moments

Default The Top 11 Dumbest Spider-Man Moments

YouTube - Nostalgia Critic - Top 11 Dumbest Spiderman Moments HQ

Doug Walker (a.k.a. The Nostalgia Critic) does a really good job at picking apart the Spider-Man Trilogy in this video. Many of the issues that plagued the original Spider-Man franchise are brought up and critiqued...He may sound like a nitpicker, or a "hater" to you, but that's just an excuse not to think about the valid (albeit very critical,) points that he was speaking of.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He pretty much summed up why I disliked Spiderman 2 despite all the critics loving it.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

The first two Spiderman films are great, even with the occasional bum note.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My favorite is the time when he denies having a brain tumor, then swings into the side of his nemesis, an armored truck, yelling "FAPPO!"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

At first I thought this thread was concerning the comics or overall. Maybe you should add in Movie to the title.
    Going back it's a little boring to watch those movies, for me at least. I can agree about the silliness. The screaming girl, the women singing the Spider-man theme song from the 60s. Dock Oc's hospital seen seemed more silly than serious. I also wondered why they put in known actors for the extra roles. I noticed the boy from Losing Isaiah, The girl from Antwone Fisher, I didn't know who that big guy was back then, but he ended up playing in extra segment in The Dark Knight. He was probably in a show or another movie before.

There was also a guy from Mad TV in there on the train too. I did sort of feel that the maintenance man thing was kind of silly and that Gwen Stacy shouldn't haven't been in any of the movies if she wasn't going to be in the first. It just seemed pointless for her to be in Spider-man threee and she was a throwaway character. Venom I was really disappointed with. For a while I had thought that Topher Grace was both Pete and Brock. I think they went out their way to go extra silly because they didn't acknowledge Venom's name, his mannerisms, his body type, they showed his human face more than his symbiote face, he hardly got any screen time, and they killed him off.

I remember someone saying when/after the 2nd film was in theatres that they were going to build up Venom's presence by having Pete get the symbiote suit and tear it off in the bell tower at the end, ending with the symbiote dripping on Brock's shoulder. I admit that I wasn't really feeling the Pete and Mary Jane relationship. Mary Jane was hot enough and it was done poorly to me. Pete's transformation with the clothes and hair and dance scene, that was dumb. I think everyone can agree with that.

I enjoyed the first two back then and semi liked the 3rd one just for the action, but I can't really watch those first two really. It's boring.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Yeah all of the Spider-Man movies are pretty lame. The last quarter or so of Spider-Man II (everything during and after the subway part), the movie which everyone raved over, made me want to stab myself in the eye. And I could've sworn I was the only person in the world who thought that the "AI" behind Doc Oc's tentacles was really, really dumb and forced.

The dance scene of Spider-Man III was definitely the worst part of the series, though. A very close second would be that horrifyingly terrible cooking scene between Mary Jane and Harry.

I disagree with him about William Dafoe as Green Goblin. The problem wasn't Dafoe, who was absolutely perfect for the role, but with the horribly cheesy writing and directing which made him seem just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    At first I thought this thread was concerning the comics or overall. Maybe you should add in Movie to the title.
    Why would I talk about Spider-Man comic books when I haven't even read them all? It's impossible to critique something if you haven't laid eyes on it and evaluated it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I disagree with him about William Dafoe as Green Goblin. The problem wasn't Dafoe, who was absolutely perfect for the role, but with the horribly cheesy writing and directing which made him seem just silly.

Did you pay close attention to what Doug Walker was saying? The man was blaming whoever the hell thought it was a good idea to make the Green Goblin look like a Power Ranger. Walker figured Dafoe turned in the performance that he did because of the stupid-ass suit.

[G13]Merged - G13[/G13]
    Last edited by G13; 02-14-2011 at 09:09 AM.

I seriously doubt the costume had an effect on the acting performance.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNintendoNerd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Why would I talk about Spider-Man comic books when I haven't even read them all? It's impossible to critique something if you haven't laid eyes on it and evaluated it for yourself.
    Yeah I know that. What made you think that I know about you personally?

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's safe to say the dialogue of the scripts ruined the movies. The actual storylines themselves weren't bad -- apart from the horrible sub-plot of Spiderman 3.

One Speed, One Gear, GO!! ScottyRedXIII's Avatar

As soon as i saw this thread i thought NOSTALGIA CRITIC. Not to sound like a bum boy fan but i agree with every thing he said. Except the part were he said he liked the 3rd movie, i god dam hated it, so much they could have sone with it, and how brilliantly dark it could have been and yet........ it was soo goofy and soo cheesy
    Twitter: @Scottyboy081292

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Yes it did. Because if you're Willem Dafoe how are you supposed to take your acting job seriously if you look like a smurfing reject from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers? If you can't see that Dafoe was doing an overacting job on purpose then quite frankly you need glasses. Because you're blind.

Yes it did. Because if you're Willem Dafoe how are you supposed to take your acting job seriously if you look like a smurfing reject from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers? If you can't see that Dafoe was doing an overacting job on purpose then quite frankly you need glasses. Because you're blind.
    If he was overacting on purpose, he probably would have done so whatever the outfit. But I'll obviously have to list 'the costume was rubbish' on my list of reasons for a below-par acting performance.

If he was overacting on purpose, he probably would have done so whatever the outfit. But I'll obviously have to list 'the costume was rubbish' on my list of reasons for a below-par acting performance.
    No, no, no, no. You don't get it do you? Dafoe couldn't take his job seriously because he was dressed like a smurfing Power Ranger or like a Power Ranger villian. So Willem purposely put out a hammy acting performance because a serious acting performance and a ridiculous costume don't always go hand and hand, do they?

But if that explanation is too difficult for you to grasp...Let me put it to you this way, if you're Willem Dafoe and Sam Raimi is making you wear a retarded looking Green Goblin costume, can you in all honesty look at yourself in the mirror while in costume and resist your inclination to overact? Because there's a thin line between overacting, underacting, and just plain acting but thankfully Dafoe comes nowhere near that line. He was just a cliched, overacting, mustache twirling, run of the mill, villain.

He was just a cliched, overacting, mustache twirling, run of the mill, villain.
    Erm, I'm pretty sure he was told to act that way. If he wasn't, they would have called cut and asked him to reshoot but tone it down. He's an actor, he's not going to act differently based on his costume.

Also, I've never been a fan of the Nostalga Critic...now there's an overactor.