Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parental Figures that Game

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

When I was five my dad came home with a brand new NES and The Legend of Zelda. He played it after work a lot until he beat it and then he helped me beat it. I got to the point where I could beat it all by myself at five. He also randomly played the first Super Mario bros. and Top Gun. Then years later I was surprised to see that he liked playing the first Diablo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    My dad plays wii golf games (tiger woods' something-or-other golf) and he keeps playing those Might and Magic games - at least the newer ones, anyway.

his brother (older) considers video games a waste of time and told me so - he understands it can be a nice use of free time but to always play it is silly.

Unrelated to the actual topic - I think video games should be a good time-sink - I have several hours per day I spend just drooling and so I use video games to fill those gaps.
    Dude, my dad played Might and Magic too. He just beat VI for the third time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Until my stepbrother came along, I was pretty much the sole gamer in my family.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

My dad loves FPS games and regularly shops on Steam. It strikes me as humorous.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Is your Mom a teacher?
    ..No, but I'm really curious as to what gave you that impression!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

The original Zelda was a staple for various family members. My step-mother went on to play a lot of the GB games over the years. Other than that, only one of my uncles really gamed. He owned a game store in a town north of Toronto (a Microplay) for a few years and even had a short local radio segment entitled 'The Game Guru' where he'd answer various questions about games on air. My manchild-like interest in games is due in no small part to the fact that as a kid I played so many games as a result of this store (I had an SNES, a Genesis, AND a 3DO). Moreover, my interest in RPGs is also a direct result of being fascinated by all the Nintendo, Sega, and Sony RPGs he had in his collection.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Is your Mom a teacher?
    ..No, but I'm really curious as to what gave you that impression!
    I had an English teacher who said she had played Spyro so I just wanted to see if maybe that was the same person. I just realized now that she also mentioned that she had played Fallout 3 so...

FFXIV Character

Jenna Solis (Sargatanas)

I am a parent who loves RPGs (and yes, I have announced that I must go to the store to buy a new game...the last one being FFXII).

Also, my parents (my mother will be 69 this year and my father 70) like to get together with my aunt and uncle and play such games as Mario Party on the Wii.

You are never too old to play...

My father plays (and actually taught me how to play when I was little) the Metal Gear Solid games. Other than that and a little bit of Super Mario on the virtual console, he generally stays away from videogames.

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

My dad was into games, but he quit them cold turkey when I tripped the power cord just as he was about to beat Sonic the Hedgehog 2. A couple of years later he got the Genesis out again and as a six-year-old I was old enough to play it myself so I gave it a shot! My parents got into them again briefly when they bought a Playstation for me and my brother. We never played anything together, but I have a fond memory of my dad playing the dinosaur level in Tomb Raider for the first time while we were all in the living room watching him. He killed the first few little raptors that ran out at him with a little bit of difficulty, and then my uncle said "hahaha good thing there aren't any big dinosaurs or you'd really be in trouble" and then of course a giant T-Rex ran out and my little brother and I were like "noooo run Daddy!" Eventually he killed it, but it took pretty much all of his ammo. And my uncle, having never played this game before, said "man if another one chased after you that would be so messed up" at which point Lara was eaten and my uncle was forbidden from speaking. It was that moment that got me into the Tomb Raider series!

My dad gave up gaming again forever when he purchased a James Bond game and got so frustrated with it he threw the controller.

Blog Entries

I've been playing video games with my dad fro around 20+ years.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Dad played Zelda on the NES and SNES. As well as Mario and Donkey Kong. When we got a PS1 though he started drifting. He played a bit of Croc/Crash Bandicoot.

However, when we first got Age of Empires II he got hooked to that. In fact even up to last year I could catch him playing the game for hours at a time from time to time. Dunno, if he has been up to it recently though.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

One of my students caught me buying Bioshock 2 as a gift for my wife yesterday. I hope he doesn't spoil it before I give it to her. Even though both my wife and I talk about gaming occasionally, I think the kids thought we were bluffing.

This morning it seemed to be a big deal and several kids brought it up in the hall before class. I just hope we make it through the rest of the day without anyone letting slip what I was buying.