View Poll Results: Do you see a handheld future?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, looks like thats whats coming up

6 24.00%
  • No, I cannot see not playing a home console

13 52.00%
  • Only time will tell

6 24.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handhelds are the future?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I highly doubt there will be a console-less future, I honestly think that I in fact do not like playing portable games, I would always take the home console over it, but I have a lot of time traveling, and there's exclusives on handhelds, so there you go.

As far as handhelds being the main driver of sales and this industry as a whole, I can see that, because there's far more non-gamers who don't mind playing a quick game before a meeting, than there are gamers, who want substantial experiences as their outlet. I wouldn't be surprised if by some calculation, we're already there.

About Indie devs springing up while big studios are closing, that's not really a good thing for those smaller developers. The vast majority of them coming up now are kids who grew up playing SNES, Genesis, and Warcraft and wanted to make video games, now they're out of college with degrees and no job, so they join a professional organization, find a few friends, and form a "studio," and guess what the only viable platform is? iOS. The games are bad and so is the pay, they can barely afford to live, and either live off their wives (because let's face it, like engineering, males are the only ones who really want to do it) or better yet, their parents. We talk so much about the future, but look at the here and now, game development is an over-saturated employment field and handheld gaming is an over-saturated market.

I do feel like it may be able to bring about another golden age of RPG's or such, because I feel one of these studios who only has their product to go on is really going to put effort and creativity into a couple good games, and really make a name for itself, because all it can do is make good games. They don't have shareholders to answer to because they're a small LLC.

I like JACKAL's idea of a handheld that is a console, and I could see Sony doing it in the next 5-7 years. Playing Killzone 3 and looking at how far ahead the production values are, and knowing that the next generation games would have to spend enough money and time making a game look at least better than that, I can honestly say the next generation of home consoles is not coming, and whoever moves towards it first is going to crash. Instead we're going to keep seeing different things like Move and Kinect, and I think Jackal's ideal is going to be a part of that. I also think more phone are going to come out like the Xperia Play, where it has a d-pad and maybe 2-4 buttons. I could easily see the Play failing because it's Sony and they're just prone to fail with their pricey, futuristic hardware no one can afford or utilize fully, so I can see a different phone manufacturer doing it, maybe with windows 7 and some kind of Xbox Live functionality.

And lastly, yes, when we have contact lenses or brain implants that display virtual reality for us, reality is smurfed. But then again everyone in the 60's thought we would have flying cars 10 years ago, it's never the technology we predict that comes to fruition, only the stuff that has the right amount of practicality, novelty, and appears at the right time to be used by the right consumers.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    People say things like this all the damn time but frankly if someone could accurately predict the future they'd be making a fortune and there would be no mystery in life anymore.
    That line of thinking doesn't work considering the future could be an infinite amount of possible things. Just seeing an infant being named Chris fifty years in the future wouldn't net you money and you must also seem that the seer must be able to see anything at his/her will at anytime and realize when he or she is doing it. You are also forgetting the people who are afraid of success, don't care etc. Then you also have the side where it is hard to convince or prove to someone.

There's also the subject that maybe some of these wealthy people did have visions of the future and that's why they are wealthy in the first place. As for the topic I don't think handhelds will dominate here in the US.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 02-25-2011 at 01:54 PM.

The future of gaming as a whole? I doubt it, but acknowledge the possibility.

My personal gaming future? Absolutely. Handhelds already dominate most of that. Even putting aside the convenience, fewer and fewer games are being released on consoles that I want to play. I have more games for my DS than I do for my other systems combined, and I play them more frequently. Console RPGs seem to be getting worse and worse, while handheld ones keep getting better and better (and RPGs are far and away my favorite genre).

This is part of why I love the poor graphics of the DS. It gives developers an excuse to avoid making the shiniest graphics possible. And the result is that we get DQIX instead of FFXIII.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

But as handheld graphics increase it will just be the same problems all over again. It's juts a time lag due to the hardware.

Probably. I'm just hoping that the market for games that suck but that look pretty would have crashed by then.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.