Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Boney King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien
    Reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk currently. It's my first Palahniuk book, and I'm loving it.
    Might I recommend picking up Choke and Haunted after you've finished Invisible Monsters? I'm not a big fan of Palahniuk anymore but I feel those are his two strongest novels. I didn't like Invisible Monsters all that much.
    Yesss, definitely picking up more of his books. I'll keep those recommendations in mind, thanks!

im reading crank i have no clue who the author is though... its some sort of epic poem best book ive ever read

yes, im wasting my teenage years playing final fantasy. no, that's a good thing.

Aside from the constant struggle with my school textbooks I'm trucking through the following:

Runelords: Brotherhood of the Wolf by David Farland
    The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians by Peter Heather
    The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty by G.J. Meyer
    Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson

With about three dozen books waiting in the wings to be read. I'll probably drop everything and consume Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss the second that I can get my hands on a copy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Aside from the constant struggle with my school textbooks I'm trucking through the following:

Runelords: Brotherhood of the Wolf by David Farland
    The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians by Peter Heather
    The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty by G.J. Meyer
    Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson

With about three dozen books waiting in the wings to be read. I'll probably drop everything and consume Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss the second that I can get my hands on a copy, though.
    Yay, nonfiction books!

I'm reading Nixonland by Rick Perlstein.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Been reading The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell. It's an awesome book for anyone aspiring to one day make games. It's actually given me quite a bit of food for thought about my own endeavours so far and I'm maybe 1/3rd of the way through.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unbreakable Rocco View Post
    Salvatore? As in R.A. Salvatore?

Yes, although I'm a dumbass. Goodkind has the excellent Confessor series (and the terrible television spin off). I like Salvatore's Demonwars saga. I can't believe I mixed those up.

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Been reading The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell. It's an awesome book for anyone aspiring to one day make games. It's actually given me quite a bit of food for thought about my own endeavours so far and I'm maybe 1/3rd of the way through.
    I'll have to check that out, I'm really interested in getting my 'gamer' degree at a tech school.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Salvatore? As in R.A. Salvatore?

Yes, although I'm a dumbass. Goodkind has the excellent Confessor series (and the terrible television spin off). I like Salvatore's Demonwars saga. I can't believe I mixed those up.
    I haven't had a chance to read the Demonwars yet but I've read most of the Legend of Drizzt series and really love those.

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I'm also reading Origin of Species, but it's so damn dry. It's dated, inaccurate, and dry. It's also interesting to see where he had moments of inspiration. So it's worth it. I just take it in occasional chunks.

Blog Entries

I'm reading Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who is one of my favorite authors.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Ironically enough, I'm reading The Last King which is about Mithridates and his defiance of Rome.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The Divine Comedy.

I haven't done any regular reading since high school, so it's slow going

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    The Divine Comedy.

I haven't done any regular reading since high school, so it's slow going
    I've wanted to read that, how is it?

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

I read quite often and I was wondering what you guys are currently reading. Also, feel free to talk about your favorite book/series.

I'm currently hacking my way through book seven, Reaper's Gale, of The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.
    It's an awesome series but two of the books have really been taxing to read because of shifts in character, but I still highly recommend it.
    I got the first couple of books for a friend of mine and now he swears by them (last year I got him Sword of Truth, which he now swears against).

Personally, I can't do the 1000-page-per-volume fantasy epics anymore.

At the moment I'm reading:

Jorge Luis Borges - Labyrinths (awesome - I love re-reading this)
    Iain M. Banks - Matter (this one is a slog. It'll be a miracle if I get half way through)
    plus general edumacational reading of my own and also the course texts for my students.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    The Divine Comedy.
    Awesome. If you're into poetic epics, try Milton's Paradise Lost (if you haven't already). Really, really great stuff.

Blog Entries

I'm glad someone else has heard of the Malazan series besides my uncle and older stepbrother. I'll be reading and laugh or exclaim surprise at something amazing (SPOILER)like the release of the Deragoth upon Poliel and won't even be able to talk about it because no one reads it. It's quite frustrating.