White Mage

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Still, I've never had a BB under-perform from a Fighter beyond the very last stretch (literally the last dungeon) of the game so you can see where I'm skeptical.
    So I have heard from many sources. I think I just got a bad one.
    To be fair, I only played to the earth crystal before giving up.
    You should give them more love. By the Water Crystal, my BB was out-damaging my Knight but around the Wind Crystal they start evening out and the then the knight overtakes him. Most people don't like BB cause they either don't know about the Bare-handed element, or they feel they are too boring cause you really don't have to do anything with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeymz View Post
    So is this team good

Fighter
    BlackBelt
    Red Mage
    White Mage
    That's a pretty good party, gives you a nice balance of offense and defense as well as two healers and buffers. As I mentioned, keep the BB unarmed, don't ever give him weapons and about level 10 and onward he'll start doing as much damage as the knight. This will free up your money to purchase the Knight equips and mage spells with a bit less grinding.

when is the best level to promote my character?

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

As soon as possible.

I mean like is it better to promote them in lower levels??? Maybe it will increase the stats a bit right???

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's what I mean too. The lowest level you can manage to get the crown the better.

I used to love BB; they do the most damage but they do die rather quickly (lower HP than Ft, and much lower [and buggy] defense).

I think the easiest run I had was Ft/Ft/WM/WM. The Fighters can absorb damage like none-other and the WM can keep them alive. The lack of Fir2/Lit2 early on is a bit painful, and the lack of Fast or a BB does slow down the damage, but you get items that cast those later on.

Replacing a WM with a RM gives you access to black magic and more melee damage, so that's an option too. RM are money hogs early on though, so YMMV

My favorite looking character is the BM, but they become worthless towards the end of the game as anything but machines for buffing your melee characters. Sure Nuke is a great spell, but unless you overlevel you get to cast it once or twice in the final dungeon, which is kind of underwhelming.

All the hating on BB aside, 4BB is the most straightforward party. Just don't get the rat-tail, as BB get worse after turning into masters and don't forget to look at the status screen after each level up (see black-belt armor bug). You will use more heal potions than other classes, but you can afford them since they are so cheap to equip (Masking-tape + A button is your friend).

If you want to get a good feel for each classes strengths and weaknesses, play through with all 4 of that class. It's not obvious until you try it, but 4WM is *much* easier than 4BM, and 4RM is great until you get about 3 orbs lit at which point it becomes mediocre.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by aidenn View Post
    Replacing a WM with a RM gives you access to black magic and more melee damage, so that's an option too. RM are money hogs early on though, so YMMV
    The extra magic and physical attacks of the RM are nice, but what I found really makes them shine is the fact they can cast Haste. Hasting two fighters for boss fights increases your damage output immensely, more than anything a single character would be doing.

The extra magic and physical attacks of the RM are nice, but what I found really makes them shine is the fact they can cast Haste. Hasting two fighters for boss fights increases your damage output immensely, more than anything a single character would be doing.[/QUOTE]
    Very true, I mentioned the lack of Fast (as haste called in the NES version) is a big downside to no black magic. However, when you have 2 fighters, there are only a few battles where fast is really useful (though most of them are in the temple at the end). I used to list Lif2 as an asset for WM over RM, but now I typically beat the game at too low a level for level 9 spells to make a difference, so RM may be better. I am biased against RM since they are so expensive early on.

Battling Seizure Robot Daventhalas's Avatar

I always rolled through the game at low levels with the Ftx2, RW and WW combo. And I never run from a battle, even if it does mean that I'll be slain in one hit.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fast does help the fighters get more hits which equals more damage, but to be perfectly honest you're going to kill the bosses within three rounds anyway without haste so it doesn't help all that much anyway.

My first(and still my easiest to beat the game with) is Fighter-Fighter-Black and White mage. Ive played most of them. My favorite.
    Forward, the Light Brigade!'
    Was there a man dismay'd?
    Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
      Some one had blunder'd:
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:
    Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon in front of them
      Volley'd and thunder'd;
    Storm'd at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
      Rode the six hundred.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

playing again on the iOS version and using:

Fighter
    Thief
    Black Belt
    White Mage

And I'm just steamrolling everything...won't be able to even touch the bonus bosses without Temper/Haste stacking though.

This is an interesting combo:

Fighter
    Fighter
    Fighter
    Red Mage

I haven't tried it myself before, but I'm fairly sure it would make the game really easy.

Blog Entries

you would be grinding for such a long amount of time to get money for equipment and whatever spells you need