Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy 1 Best Team

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I've done it and it was fairly easy. I enjoyed it.

Hands down easiest playthrough is
    fighter - uses Masamune
    fighter - uses Xcalibur
    red mage - uses Sun Sword
    red mage - uses Defense

Expensive, but ridiculously easy. Even moderately equipped fighters and red mages will do better than anyone else early on. And late in the game you have the money, plus the best weapons/armor aren't bought. Attack Magic is near worthless in the NES version, unless you use the magic casting items. This gives you 4 characters with healing magic, 4 heavy physical attackers, and 2 with attack magic (that you should never use once you get the items that cast spells).
    Mage Staff does Fire 2
    Thor's Hammer does Lit 2
    Zeus Gauntlet does Lit 2 as well
    Black Shirt does Ice 2
    Light Axe does Harm 2
    White Shirt does Invs 2 (for defense!)
    Heal Staff/Helm for Heal

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Ok, I have a story to tell you guys. When I read this thread, it made me think

Fighter
    Red Mage
    White Mage
    Black Mage

But it took me a minute to remember why. Then I realized I had seen a piece of artwork in an old issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly depicting these four characters together, but I couldn't remember which issue it had been in. Google image searches were turning up mostly pictures of Lightning and whoever the hell the guy on the cover of FF14 is, or FF7 fan art.

So I stumbled on some magazine scans...I won't say where...and after hours of downloading and rifling through them, not knowing if the particular magazine issue I was looking for was even on the site I was at, I found...

chibilightwarriors.PNG
    This.

It turned out to be the April 1994 issue, so this would have been while Final Fantasy 6 was in the localization process, unless I'm mistaken. Indeed, the accompanying news story mentions that the journalist in question was at a Square expo of some sort where FF6 was on display.

Anyway, tl;dr version is, I saw this picture in EGM when I was a kid, and that's been my main party ever since. Not because it makes the game easier or harder, necessarily, just because of this picture. Is that weird?

Blog Entries

It's always been my party too, but I don't recall seeing it in EGM. When I was a kid I was looking at 1997 PSM magazines that mainly covered Final Fantasy VII, and it was the best thing ever, and I wish I were that young again.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never managed to complete this game, as I just ran out of motivation. I hated the Red Mages. My hatred of the Red Mage in my party was probably a major factor into why I got bored of the game. I just don't get why people like that bastard. xD

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

You remembered to keep them unequipped right?
    What do you take me for
    I played for years using nunchucks on black belts. In my defence, I was a child at the time

I've never tried to construct a best team. I just make sure I have a Red Mage and a Thief who can become a Ninja because I like them the best. I don't prefer to have a White Mage because until they get Holy, they're useless. I don't like really like Monks because I've already got a Warrior and Ninja, but the last time I played, I had a team of Fighter/Warrior, Thief/Ninja, Red Mage/Red Wizard, Monk/Master.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The best team for me is Fighter/Fighter/White Mage/Black Mage. Pretty much any F/?/WM/BM team will work, but Fighters are the beasts in the front row. Thieves are useless, and black belts have relatively poor defense for the front row. I also like the WM/BM combination because I like magic, and it adds some variety.

Wink My favorite team

fighter
    theif
    b belt
    r mage
    the party has every skill attack runing away w magic b magic defence

It's really hard to bet against:

Fighter
    Black Belt
    Red Mage
    White mage

Some of this has been said before, but: the party is balanced, has high damage output early and late in the game, has manageable expenses early, can make for workable arrangements at different stages of the game (depending on your equipment, HP, who you want to put in front or back etc), and in general is one of the most fun. You have a place to land for most of the game's best equipment barring the two Katanas (Sasukes) and some leftover armor, and should have no trouble dispatching of bosses at any point.

Which is better:

Fighter, Red Mage , white Mage, black Mage

Or

Fighter, black belt, white Mage, black mage

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I would say that the team consisting of Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, and Black Mage would be better as the productivity of the Red Mage class wanes as you near completion of the game.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I would say that the team consisting of Fighter, Black Belt, White Mage, and Black Mage would be better as the productivity of the Red Mage class wanes as you near completion of the game.
    which would be better then:

fighter, black belt, white mage and black mage

or

fighter, black belt, red mage and black mage

or

fighter, black belt, white mage, red mage

or

fighter, black belt, red mage, red mage

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

FI/RM/WM/BM would probably be technically better, but very expensive (if you're willing to spend money, why not go with FI/FI/WM/BM?). FI/BB would be a little easier on the wallet, even if BBs suck.

As to your second post, I tend to prefer the WM/BM combo, because I like the balance and having the full array of magic at my disposal. There's others who don't like BMs, but they are terrible people and you should not listen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    FI/RM/WM/BM would probably be technically better, but very expensive (if you're willing to spend money, why not go with FI/FI/WM/BM?). FI/BB would be a little easier on the wallet, even if BBs suck.

As to your second post, I tend to prefer the WM/BM combo, because I like the balance and having the full array of magic at my disposal. There's others who don't like BMs, but they are terrible people and you should not listen to them.
    why does BB suck? i mean i thought they deal more damage than any other character in the game.

from these three which the BEST

FI,RM,WM,BM

or

FI,BB,WM,BM

or

FI,FI,WM,BM