Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy 1 Best Team

Articles
    Blog Entries

The first or third.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I can see why people like F/F/RM/WM but I find I miss the Black Mage. I can see why it's technically a superior party, but I find I have more fun with F/RM/BM/WM. I think 8-Bit Theatre conditioned me to feel like I was committing some form of betrayal if I didn't use a BM.

The most pimpin' (and therefore best) team, however, is obviously RM/RM/RM/RM.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I consider FI/FI/WM/BM to be the best overall party. FI/BB/WM/BM is substantially cheaper once the BB uses his fists, as long as you're content hauling the BB's carcass around when he starts dying all the time in the second position. FI/RM/WM/BM will cost even more than FI/FI with not much benefit, considering you'll be equipping the RM with both attack gear and magic -- especially when you'll just be attacking normally with the RM most of the time.

EDIT: Actually, I should have clarified what version I am talking about. My opinions is exclusively for the NES version of FFI. In later versions, FI/TH/WM/BM may strike a better balance, but the Thief is useless in the original.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    ..., but the Thief is useless in the original.
    So is the Black Mage, but that doesn't seem to be deterring you.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

My vote goes to:

• Black Mage
    • N/A
    • N/A
    • N/A

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    My vote goes to:

• Black Mage
    • N/A
    • N/A
    • N/A

>>> ..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I consider FI/FI/WM/BM to be the best overall party. FI/BB/WM/BM is substantially cheaper once the BB uses his fists, as long as you're content hauling the BB's carcass around when he starts dying all the time in the second position. FI/RM/WM/BM will cost even more than FI/FI with not much benefit, considering you'll be equipping the RM with both attack gear and magic -- especially when you'll just be attacking normally with the RM most of the time.

EDIT: Actually, I should have clarified what version I am talking about. My opinions is exclusively for the NES version of FFI. In later versions, FI/TH/WM/BM may strike a better balance, but the Thief is useless in the original.
    i am currently playing final fantasy dawn of soul for GBA. i was wondering which team is the best for LLCC (low leve class change) and still the best team out there in end game

Quote Originally Posted by *Laurelindo* View Post
    This is an interesting combo:

Fighter
    Fighter
    Fighter
    Red Mage

I haven't tried it myself before, but I'm fairly sure it would make the game really easy.
    This is probably the easiest party too, in my opinion. Even with most of the Fighters using hand-me-down gear, you'll be taking so little damage (even with cheap equipment) that you can afford to delay the upgrades 'til you have more money.

The only reason to take a Thief is if you want to equip the Katana... which pretty much only makes them an option as a 4th melee character if you're building a beatdown party.

Black Belt is ok. I don't feel strongly about them. They are cheap, but cost time in protection and healing.

Mages are only occasionally useful until you start getting crystals... then they are mostly just for looks, FAST, WARP and EXIT. They're also just as expensive as Fighters, or worse.

In short, the more fighters the better.

If I had to build the best party out of 4 different classes, I'd pick
    Fighter <-- best class by far
    Black Belt <-- best alternative to Fighter
    Red Mage/White Mage <-- casts EXIT/FAST
    Thief <-- second best alternative to Fighter, casts FAST

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeymz View Post
    from these three which the BEST

FI,RM,WM,BM

or

FI,BB,WM,BM

or

FI,FI,WM,BM
    I prefer the second or the third teams. I really find the Red Mage to be mediocre as you get later into the game.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

best team for LLCC (low level class change) in final fantasy dawn of souls GBA

Fighter/Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage

or

Fighter/Fighter/Red Mage/Red Mage

Offensive magic is really not required with a properly prepared and equipped party, which includes using the peninsula of power to level up. Equipment is no big deal and neither is cash after leveling up here.

Red Mages because they can heal, use exit (red wizards) , and use haste/Fast magic and TMPR magic to buff fighters during boss fights. They also have decent enough defense and can use decent equipment and have decent attack.

White mages can't cast haste... for the way I play I don't need the top tier white magic to save my butt, because I'm not going to die anyways. I'm going to cast FAST and TMPR on my fighters and they will make short work of any boss.

Black mages.. interesting but largely useless for what a majority of the game is spent doing, fighting battles in the relatively high random encounter rates.

You could also go Fighter/Fighter/Black Belt/Red Mage to make things less boring if you wanted... black belts are very useful for grinding mid-game when properly levelled... their damage output is fairly high.

Fighter/Fighter/Fighter/White Mage would also be easy, but without access to TMPR and FAST the boss battles would actually be harder than a 2 fighter, 2 Red Mage setup. Did I mention the top level healing of white wizards is over-rated and not really needed, and you only get a few casts anyways? Stick with 2 red mages.. more usefulness, more damage, more carnage, more fun. The best of black and white magic together with decent attack and dual buffing.
    Last edited by dissident; 05-02-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

^ I like you.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

I changed my mind a bit.. I now believe the best party if you are going to level your party to level 30ish or higher and power level early using the peninsula of power for pure fun factor is the following

Fighter
    Fighter
    Black Belt
    White Mage

The black belt just pummels through bosses though it definitely takes more damage from area of effect spells in the final dungeon. I found the white mage to be more useful than I had originally thought.. it's good insurance.. just have it casting with the heal wand.

Alternately, I haven't tried this setup yet but I'd imagine

Fighter
    Fighter
    Thief
    White Mage

would also work, and give you the FAST/HASTE spell (after class change) along with thieves having a better defense than Monks. It doesn't matter how early you get the class change with this one... the earlier the better. And finally there's

Fighter
    Fighter
    Fighter
    White Mage

Boring, but effective. Won't beat chaos as quickly as having a high level black belt or thief that can cast FAST in the party though.

All these are variations on a theme... in this game a black mage just doesn't really fit into my builds because of the random encounter rate combined with the low number of spell charges. All these would work, as would the red mage setup in the above post... but I found just taking the white mage and having it use the heal wand constantly just works better given the random encounter rates... and the high level healing spells aren't so underrated either.

It's worth noting that I've been playing the Origins version for PS, not the NES version...
    Last edited by dissident; 05-15-2013 at 05:02 PM.

I know that Blackbelts deals more damage overall but the fleeing po

wer is just way too good.

what do you guys think of this team

Fighter, RM, BB, WM

for LLCC ( low level Class Change) class change around level 10-11

is this good?