Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Family Guy and American Dad

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    Pretty much any Francine-heavy episode is gold.
    Damn straight. It's a nice change to have a mum that's pretty much a whore (or at least was one) with attitude and whatnot rather than the same old same old nicey-nicey mums in almost every other cartoon out there (see: Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, etc).

Still yet to see the dad shake the cliché of idiot father, but then, I'm not sure if it would really work out.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

I didn't like American Dad at first, but it has grown on me over time. Family Guy I used to enjoy but it seems kinda meh lately. However, with any of these I can't just sit and watch them. They make excellent background 'noise'/'humour' while I am doing something else. Like reading a book. Or playing a game on the computer.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Back when I was a stupid high school kid I found Family Guy HILARRRRIIIOOOUUUSSS! But now that I'm all grown up I can't stand it. All it is is "RANDOM CULTURAL/MOVIE/INTERNET MEME/CELEBRITY REFERENCE != COMEDY!!!!!" It's like watching one of those "MOVIE" movies in animated tv series form. I haven't watched since the fourth season I think (right after it came back from being cancelled) but I've seen bits and pieces here and there.

American Dad is just flat out boring. It's Family Guy with more political "commentary" and less non-sequiters.

And The Cleveland Show...let's just not even talk about it.

I have to give Seth McFarlane kudos though. He found a formula to money making that can't really be beaten. Zero budget animation and zero budget writing with maximum return. He's giving Japan's animation industry a run for it's money!

The real shame is that there's actually people with plenty of talent working on these shows, and I feel like it's being wasted in favor of an easy paycheck. Not that I can blame any of them.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Damn straight. It's a nice change to have a mum that's pretty much a whore (or at least was one) with attitude and whatnot rather than the same old same old nicey-nicey mums in almost every other cartoon out there (see: Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, etc).

Still yet to see the dad shake the cliché of idiot father, but then, I'm not sure if it would really work out.
    That's one of the best parts about Francine-heavy episodes: when Francine is being a moron, Stan isn't usually a dumb-dad. They can both be dumb.

Also one of the reasons I love Modern Family so much.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

That's one of the best parts about Francine-heavy episodes: when Francine is being a moron, Stan isn't usually a dumb-dad. They can both be dumb.

Also one of the reasons I love Modern Family so much.
    Modern Family just amuses the hell out of me because every time I see Ed O'Neill I still can't seperate him in my mind from Al Bundy. :<3:
    I like Kung-Fu.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Modern Family is actually fairly entertaining. And not remotely as retarded as the shows in this thread (at least from the bit I watched with my step-sister who received the first season as a Christmas gift).

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I don't really like and of the MacFarlane shows, but having tried a few of the earlier American Dads and recently seeing two of the newer ones, they did seem to be funnier now. Maybe they've hit their stride.

I'll see what other people think. To me South Park has gotten become better, and more well written over the years. Each season has at least 3 episodes that make me laugh out loud pretty hard. That's saying something after being on air 13 seasons or however long it is.

Shows created by Matt Groening, Seth MacFarlane, or Seth Green... I always watch...
    Well, don't watch Robot Chicken ever since lost Comedy Central but have a DVD of a STAR WARS-related episode.
    I liked Beavis and Butthead as a kid, but now whenever I hear reference to them, I get angry that they ever existed. That's how much I despise them now. Don't ask how it happened. I don't know.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Family Guy is something I watch as a guilty pleasure. I know it's not brilliant (and I'd say pretty poor if you compare it to, say, The Simpsons when that was good), but it's entertaining. I don't think it pretends to be anything more than it is really and just goes for rather silly and sometimes quite crass jokes, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it. I don't go out of my way to watch it, but if it's on I'll watch it.

American Dad I watched a few episodes of but couldn't get into it. Don't know why really. As BoB said, the alien's voice is very annoying.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.