Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting lost

The Joker's Pilot Setzer the Gambler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Setzer the Gambler View Post
    For some reason, 10, 12 and 13 seems to lack some freedom that the other FF had... I wonder why.
    It's cause they don't have a world map! I miss the world map.
    You are completely right!!!
    Man...
    Well, there is a map in FF10, but it's not... it's not the same feeling.

"If I could have turned back time,
    Maybe we could have had champagne or wine..."
    -Setzer, Dreams of Darryl fanfiction-

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I hate World Maps because I want to walk all over the towns and pretend Squall is a giant monster but every time I try I just go inside

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'd definitely side with the people who enjoyed exploring on this one because I would place myself in that category. Initially I was a bit miffed by the lack of a world map as I felt that FFX didn't make the loss worthwhile, but FFXII did it perfectly, in my view. The world was very immersive and I greatly enjoyed wandering around locations, scouting out all of the map and bumped into new enemies. The fact that enemies wandered around on screen in front of you, rather than random encounters, was good fun too.

As to whether or not it slowed down the plot, I don't remember thinking as much at the time, though I'll admit I've only done the one playthrough of FFXII and that was when it came out (4 years ago!). I generally found that the plot kept my interest throughout, though I'd definitely class it as 'interesting' rather than 'exciting.'

The treasure system was an absolute nightmare though. I'd much rather they'd just kept to set loots from each one.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The only times I disliked exploring is when you were wandering around and a cure gambit made an elemental or an entity decide it wanted to destroy you.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Maybe a detailed world like the Ivalice in Final Fantasy XII would be better approached as a mission type of game rather than a game with a seemingly linear plot.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Maybe a detailed world like the Ivalice in Final Fantasy XII would be better approached as a mission type of game rather than a game with a seemingly linear plot.
    Yes, especially if they could make it all one piece.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Setzer the Gambler View Post
    To be honest, it reminded me a bit of FF10... For some reason, 10, 12 and 13 seems to lack some freedom that the other FF had... I wonder why.
    I'm sorry, is this meant to be a joke? you think XII lacked freedom? I'm not trying to be condescending I really think your mistaking XII for some other game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, Murd, I was exactly the same when I played it through. I struggled to remember what was going on in the storyline when I did get back into it, too, and I think I actually ended up starting over.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

You're not the only one who struggled with this---i've heard many a gamer comment on similiar irritations.

I myself seem to be an exception to most things regarding FFXII(and even FFX, for that matter). I've never lost interest in the plot, even when the game requires me to go through several different enviornments and fight a variety of fiends(and be chased by the occasional elemental). I like the freedom of exploration that this game offers. I love the fact that you have to work for your plot essential information, and that in order to achieve full game completion you have to dedicate time, patience, and strategy to the game. And I love the fact that each time I play this game I find something new and interesting about the story(something I haven't found in a game since Shenmue). The plot is subtle, as are the characters. For some people, subtly such as this is not very effective in capturing their interest. Personally, I don't like to have everything spelled out for me---I like to get frusterated at difficult bosses, I like to have to pay close attention to the character dialogue, and I even liked being randomly assaulted by elementals.

Once again, I seem to be the exception. And while I don't share your qualms about this game, I can understand how the way the story and world of Ivalice has been set up can be difficult and frusterating to people who don't have my specific oddities and quirks.