Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus fiction vs reality: has your opinion changed?

FFXIV Character

Jenna Solis (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Britney and Lindsay were Disney idols as well though. They didn't have their show and they both tried ruining their lives. It must be something about Disney. I guess a real Disney princess is a slutty drug-addled teenager. Wow I've known a lot of Disney princesses xD
    Annette Funicello would probably disagree with that statement. >.>

Touche, so their new tag-line should be something like "This ain't yo momma's Disney" xD

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Default And now a lesson in subjectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    It's not that she's untalented; she does have talent, because if she really was untalented, Disney would have never casted her in the first place. For one, she writes most her own songs (outside of the Hannah Montana franchise, anyway), and in addition to that, she can dance and play both guitar and piano, so she definitely is talented; you may not like the talent that she has, but don't call her untalented. Whether you like her or not, she does have talent. But this is just stating the facts; this isn't an opinion, because I'm thinking through the eyes of the Disney executives who do the casting.
    I would argue that the songs she writes are juvenile and poorly written anyway. Did you see that interview after her "Party in the USA" song in which she couldn't name a single Jay-Z song? I thought that was supposed to be her ?

At any rate, I think it's far more likely that she was cast by Disney not because she had talent but because she was marketable. There are plenty of talented people out there, and if talent was the only thing that qualified you for a Disney TV show, there wouldn't be nearly as many starving artists. But go ahead and ignore my rampant cynicism, if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Britney and Lindsay were Disney idols as well though. They didn't have their show and they both tried ruining their lives. It must be something about Disney. I guess a real Disney princess is a slutty drug-addled teenager. Wow I've known a lot of Disney princesses xD

I've never followed Miley's fame, or her mis-steps, so I'm not sure what all trouble she's gotten into, other than some suggestive photos and a bong hit. Which like Ouch said, is pretty much any teenage girl, especially the popular ones. How much more popular can you get, other than famous? She's not quite as bad as the Olsen girls at least
    Well, the difference between the two is that Britney has gotten her life back together, while Lindsay hasn't (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    It's not that she's untalented; she does have talent, because if she really was untalented, Disney would have never casted her in the first place. For one, she writes most her own songs (outside of the Hannah Montana franchise, anyway), and in addition to that, she can dance and play both guitar and piano, so she definitely is talented; you may not like the talent that she has, but don't call her untalented. Whether you like her or not, she does have talent. But this is just stating the facts; this isn't an opinion, because I'm thinking through the eyes of the Disney executives who do the casting.
    I would argue that the songs she writes are juvenile and poorly written anyway. Did you see that interview after her "Party in the USA" song in which she couldn't name a single Jay-Z song? I thought that was supposed to be her ?

At any rate, I think it's far more likely that she was cast by Disney not because she had talent but because she was marketable. There are plenty of talented people out there, and if talent was the only thing that qualified you for a Disney TV show, there wouldn't be nearly as many starving artists. But go ahead and ignore my rampant cynicism, if you like.
    I do agree that she should have named another artist instead of Jay-Z, since she has never listened to any of his songs, but I guess she named him because she wanted the line to sound adequate.

Nonetheless, you're right, and I do agree with you in that regard. Production companies do want actors/artists that are marketable, but still, don't say that she's untalented just because you don't like the kind of talent that she has.
    Is that your final answer?

I would argue that the songs she writes are juvenile and poorly written anyway. Did you see that interview after her "Party in the USA" song in which she couldn't name a single Jay-Z song?
    I'd like to point out that anyone on these forums could write a song like party in the USA without any training whatsoever. Seriously. It's been a long time since I have heard it, so perhaps I am mistaken, but if memory serves, there are no chords in that song. I mean, what the smurf? Who in their right mind thinks "I'm gonna write a song without any harmony. There will just be a clapping and a drum beat and 'singing'"

Furthermore, have you ever heard her sing? I've heard her try to sing, but actual singing? She seems to lack that ability unless auto tune comes to her aid.

That said, party in the USA is the only song of hers that I actually know, so I could have a biased view. However, the sheer popularity that song has achieved speaks volumes about what she is capable of. Don't you think if she were a better songwriter she'd have more popular songs than this one?

First of all, how can you be so sure of that, Nikotine? Have you ever tried to write a song?

Second, I don't recall ever hearing Miley use auto-tune yet, but even if she did, no talented singer uses auto-tune all the time. They might use it to add some sort of audiovisual special effects, but that's about it. I'm sure you can tell when a singer is using auto-tune and when they're just using their regular voice, because when one is using auto-tune, you can hear some sort of special effect in their voice.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Default I lol'd.

First of all, how can you be so sure of that, Nikotine? Have you ever tried to write a song?
    See post title.

Second, I don't recall ever hearing Miley use auto-tune yet, but even if she did, no talented singer uses auto-tune all the time. They might use it to add some sort of audiovisual special effects, but that's about it. I'm sure you can tell when a singer is using auto-tune and when they're just using their regular voice, because when one is using auto-tune, you can hear some sort of special effect in their voice.
    You're confusing the use and abuse of auto-tune. When used in moderation, as it was originally used for music, auto-tune does just that: it automatically corrects the vocalist's voice so that they're singing in tune. Auto-tune, and other similar effects, are often the reason why a vocalist will sound much cleaner and clearer in a recording and be damnably awful live. The abuse of auto-tune as a distinctly and intentionally recognizable audio effect didn't really pick up until T-Pain started abusing it for his first solo album.

Also, for reference, I do genuinely think that Miley Cyrus lacks talent. If "Party in the USA" is the extent of her song-writing ability, I'm not even remotely impressed. Beyond that, I do not believe that she has a pleasant voice, and I have seen little to suggest that she has much in the way of musical skill beyond prancing around on a stage.
    Last edited by Ouch!; 03-10-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: She's not even that hot. Major let down all around.

Is it me or is Miley Cyrus kind of a female Justin Beiber that 4chan doesnt target because the teens on there wanted to screw her?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth View Post
    Is it me or is Miley Cyrus kind of a female Justin Beiber that 4chan doesnt target because the teens on there wanted to screw her?
    Except Justin Beiber is cooler because he's finally started making fun of himself and flipping off the paparazzi. His music sucks, but at least he's good for some amusement.
    Last edited by Ouch!; 03-10-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: What's a Beiber?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Justin Bieber is smurfing awesome. Haters gonna hate, but there's a reason why he can get all the teenage pussy he wants while them internet basement dwellers aren't getting any.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Yes I have. In fact, I am doing just that right this moment!

The reason I say this is because I once watched a youtube clip of her singing party in the USA live and it was so bad I laughed the entire way through. It literally sounded like screeching.

However I admit that while auto-tune pretty much seals your fate as a crappy singer, it's totally okay for a composer to use. If I were to ever write a song that involved my own voice I would have no choice but to use auto-tune as I can't sing at all. So if she really writes her own songs and if she has written songs with an actual chord progression I can't knock her for using auto-tune as a composer. It's so far away from my style of music, though, that I would rather not subject myself to the rest of her oeuvre just to see if she does, indeed, use chords or not.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Autotune is fine when it's just used to correct pitches for studio recordings. It becomes retarded when it's used to overcorrect so much the voices end up sounding fake and mechanical, like in Glee.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Auto-tune can be used for adding special effects in certain songs, but most of the time, artists most likely use their regular voice in the studio recording.

Going back to the song-writing issue...

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine View Post
    I would argue that the songs she writes are juvenile and poorly written anyway. Did you see that interview after her "Party in the USA" song in which she couldn't name a single Jay-Z song?
    I'd like to point out that anyone on these forums could write a song like party in the USA without any training whatsoever. Seriously. It's been a long time since I have heard it, so perhaps I am mistaken, but if memory serves, there are no chords in that song. I mean, what the smurf? Who in their right mind thinks "I'm gonna write a song without any harmony. There will just be a clapping and a drum beat and 'singing'"

Furthermore, have you ever heard her sing? I've heard her try to sing, but actual singing? She seems to lack that ability unless auto tune comes to her aid.

That said, party in the USA is the only song of hers that I actually know, so I could have a biased view. However, the sheer popularity that song has achieved speaks volumes about what she is capable of. Don't you think if she were a better songwriter she'd have more popular songs than this one?
    Party in the U.S.A. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it states that Miley did not actually write this particular song. I think that Jay-Z might be one of Kesha's influences, since she wrote another song on the EP entitled The Time of Our Lives (but not "Party in the USA"), but I guess that they just wanted the lyric to sound like it made sense. In fact, the only song that she actually wrote on this EP was "Before the Storm," which is a duet with ex-boyfriend Nick Jonas (of the Jonas Brothers). Nonetheless, she did write many of the songs on her Breakout and Can't be Tamed albums.

Articles
    Blog Entries

no Supermillionaire

auto-tune is only used for special effects at times by certain artists and dips like T-Pain. In most studio recordings, auto-tune is used for pitch correction. When you're recording a studio album you may want to correct all the little pitch errors that a singer can afford to make in a live show.

I don't think they use auto-tune in acoustic recordings, though.