Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus fiction vs reality: has your opinion changed?

Default Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus fiction vs reality: has your opinion changed?

In a recent bombshell interview with GQ magazine, Billy Ray Cyrus, the father of Hannah Montana star Miley Cyrus, says that he regrets doing the show and blames it for his problems with both his daughter and his ex-wife Tish today, stating:

"I'll tell you right now - the damn show destroyed my family... I'd erase it all in a second if I could..."
    Billy Ray Cyrus Blames 'Hannah Montana' for Family Problems | PopEater.com

Mr. Hannah Montana's Achy Broken Heart: Celebrities: GQ

He tells GQ that he blames the making of the show for wrecking his 17-year marriage to Tish Cyrus, as well as Miley's antics, which I have to agree are rather sleazy. From the Vanity Fair half-nude photo to the raunchy dance numbers to the bong smoking shortly after her 18th birthday, he states that the show has caused Miley to let fame to go to her head. Of course, Billy Ray has also admitted to smoking pot in the past, and hopes that Miley won't make the same mistakes that he did.

Miley has stated a number of times that she is not the next Britney Spears, but her antics suggest otherwise. In my opinion, to say that she will end up like Britney Spears is one thing; to end up like Lindsay Lohan is a completely different story. The difference between Britney and Lindsay is that Britney has since gotten her act together and her life back on track, while Lindsay still gets into legal troubles today. With that said, in terms of the antics that Britney did during her darkest days, including getting wasted at bars and clubs, shaving her head bald, vandalizing a car with an umbrella, and driving with her baby on her lap, in that aspect, she is not a good role model. However, in terms of realizing that she has made those mistakes, learned from those mistakes, taken responsibility for those mistakes, and sought redemption for those mistakes, she is a good role model, and I hope that if Miley does fall into the same trap, she'll be able to escape from it and rebound from there to where Britney is today. She has recently released her newest single, "Hold it Against Me," from her forthcoming new album named Femme Fatale, which will be released later this year. The bottom line is, as the title of one of Hannah Montana's singles states, nobody's perfect; some stars will fall into a trap, but what's more important is if you can escape from that trap. It's always better if you don't fall into that trap at all to begin with, but if you do, I hope that at least you can escape from it and rebound from it to a much better place later on.

Now, when it comes to doing the show, I don't think that Billy Ray regrets doing the show in itself, but rather that the Disney executives pushed the popularity as far as they did. It is the most popular Disney Channel show of all time, releasing not only CDs, but also a whole bunch of other merchandise as well, a feat that no other show has accomplished (yet). Various other Disney Channel shows before her have achieved some popularity, but their franchises were never pushed as far as the level that Hannah Montana was pushed to. In turn, various other Disney Channel actors and singers have also achieved popularity, but were not pushed to the same level that Miley Cyrus was. For example, look at the previous Disney queen, Hilary Duff, the star of Lizzie McGuire. She and her show achieved great popularity, but wasn't pushed to the same level that Miley and Hannah were. Where is she now? She's married, and is living a nice, happy life while being a successful entrepreneur with her fashion line and perfumes, and is also a philanthropist. So it's not that Billy Ray would regret making the show at all, but rather pushing the popularity to the level that it has.

As for the show itself, let's treat Miley Cyrus, and her fictional counterpart, Miley Stewart, as two seperate entities. Normally, I would wrap this in spoiler tags, but since the majority of you are probably not interested in the show, I won't filter it. Within the fictional story of the show, in the series finale, entitled "Wherever I Go," Miley was torn between joining a movie to shoot in Europe or going to college with her best friend, Lilly; in the end, she decided to go to college with Lilly. I would imagine that with the popularity of the show, that some of the show's younger fans would like to see a special movie in about five years time, in 2016 (the tenth anniversary of the launch of Hannah Montana), presumably titled Hannah Montana Returns, to catch up with Miley Stewart and the rest of the characters to see where they would be then. Like I have previously stated from time to time, I have never watched the show, and I only like the music from the show, because my little cousin got me into it, and I believe that the music from this and other Disney Channel TV shows are better than some of the stuff on the radio at present. Please do not ridicule me for liking this kind of music.

Now, for those of you who have stated that you hate Hannah Montana, what exactly did you hate about it? If it's because you found it annoying, then what exactly was it about the show that annoyed you? The reason why I'm asking this is because a lot of you apparently seem to hate it when younger children like this kind of entertainment. Or perhaps some of you used to like the show in the beginning, but hate it now. However, no matter what, keep this in mind: did Miley ever do anything in her show to actually offend you? Did she ever do anything personal against you? Most likely not, so there's no need to hate her as a person. I've seen people who hate her go so far as to wish DEATH on her, and I don't get why. Now, while there is nothing offensive about the content of the show, some of Miley's non-Hannah material and antics are a bit offensive, but in my opinion, it's far less offensive than some of the other artists out there that I hate, whose lyrics are either extremely explicit and vulgar, or talk about getting wasted in bars and clubs, and whose on-stage antics are far more shocking, and their outfits far more atrocious.

With all of that said, please answer the following questions:
    1: Do you agree with Billy Ray Cyrus stating that the making of the Hannah Montana franchise destroyed his family?
    2: A: Even if you hate Miley Cyrus' regular, non-Hannah material and antics, do you still like the show? B: If you used to like the show, do you hate it now? If so, why exactly? C: If you hated the show from the beginning, what exactly about it made you hate it? Please specify your reasons. Thank you.
    Last edited by SuperMillionaire; 03-01-2011 at 10:40 PM.
    Is that your final answer?

Articles
    Blog Entries

What I'm interested in is why you care so much about that show that you'd write such a huge wall of text about it.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

tl;dr

Hannah Montana was a terrible show and Miley Cyrus is a terrible singer, and Billy Ray Cyrus deserves pain for that terrible song he's famous for.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I wasn't aware that anyone here really hated Hannah Montana. I thought it was more of a "I'm not a twelve-year-old girl, so I'm not really interested," kind of thing.

All that said, I think you're giving Biley Ray Cyrus too much credit. My best bet is that he's saying all this stuff for the attention.

As for Miley Cyrus? I think she's got a pretty awful voice and is a talentless hack. She hasn't done anything to make me dislike her on a personal level (every time I hear about her doing something "offensive" or horrible it sounds a lot more like she's just being a normal teenage girl who just has too many people interested in her life).

To be perfectly honest, for being a famous child actor/musician, she seems to be remarkably normal to me.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Feels like i'm watching the Celebrity Channel in here.

Anyway, there's simply nothing to like about her, or her show. She's just some teenager. Only teenagers really care about her. And you, I guess, SuperMillionaire.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I wasn't aware that anyone here really hated Hannah Montana. I thought it was more of a "I'm not a twelve-year-old girl, so I'm not really interested," kind of thing.
    All that said, I think you're giving Biley Ray Cyrus too much credit. My best bet is that he's saying all this stuff for the attention.
    As for Miley Cyrus? I think she's got a pretty awful voice and is a talentless hack.
    These are all true. Hannah Montana would be worthy of my hate, however, because I have a brother eleven years younger than me, so I've been subjected to the music it spawned. And it was awful.

Even still, yeah, I don't so much hate it as don't care about it. Much in the same way as every other kids show that's came out since I was 15 or so.
    Last edited by DMKA; 03-01-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't see why he blames the show for her "antics," which seems like pretty normal teenage behavior to me.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    As for the show itself, let's treat Miley Cyrus, and her fictional counterpart, Miley Stewart, as two seperate entities.
    THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

What the smurf is this .

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

My opinion of Hannah Montana before:
    Not my kind of show. Catchy music with slightly irritating lyrics. Miley herself is just any other Disney Channel pop star.

My opinion of it now:
    Unchanged for the most part. Miley is possibly even more of a normal teenager than I previously thought.

FFXIV Character

Jenna Solis (Sargatanas)

My daughter was never interested in her or her music so I know next to nothing about her. I didn't even know she was getting out of hand like Britney and Lindsey did. So I have really no opinion about her or her talent (or lack thereof, as the case may be).

Quote Originally Posted by kotora View Post
    What I'm interested in is why you care so much about that show that you'd write such a huge wall of text about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    As for Miley Cyrus? I think she's got a pretty awful voice and is a talentless hack.
    These are all true. Hannah Montana would be worthy of my hate, however, because I have a brother eleven years younger than me, so I've been subjected to the music it spawned. And it was awful.

Even still, yeah, I don't so much hate it as don't care about it. Much in the same way as every other kids show that's came out since I was 15 or so.
    It's not that she's untalented; she does have talent, because if she really was untalented, Disney would have never casted her in the first place. For one, she writes most her own songs (outside of the Hannah Montana franchise, anyway), and in addition to that, she can dance and play both guitar and piano, so she definitely is talented; you may not like the talent that she has, but don't call her untalented. Whether you like her or not, she does have talent. But this is just stating the facts; this isn't an opinion, because I'm thinking through the eyes of the Disney executives who do the casting.
    Is that your final answer?

has no one else realized that everyone who was famous when they were young grows up to be crack head, pot head, meth head or a drunk? and miley wasnt like everyother disney star. at least she got famous with her singing as soon as she started the show. every other disney star started singing two years after their show was on, like hilary duff. just face the facts that every teenage success is doomed to an eternal hell of being followed by the paparazzi and talked about on inside edition or entertainment tonight

Britney and Lindsay were Disney idols as well though. They didn't have their show and they both tried ruining their lives. It must be something about Disney. I guess a real Disney princess is a slutty drug-addled teenager. Wow I've known a lot of Disney princesses xD

I've never followed Miley's fame, or her mis-steps, so I'm not sure what all trouble she's gotten into, other than some suggestive photos and a bong hit. Which like Ouch said, is pretty much any teenage girl, especially the popular ones. How much more popular can you get, other than famous? She's not quite as bad as the Olsen girls at least