Thread: Tactics Ogre

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Are the level of monsters in random encounters based on the highest level in your party?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Not necessarily. Random encounters scale to the average level of your active party with a minimum variable dependent on the map. Tynemouth Hill, for example, has a minimum level of 2.

Story encounters, too, can scale to the average level of your active party depending on your actions.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So I am finding Archers and ranged attacks in general to be pretty overpowered in this game. Ranged attacks are generally pretty good in these types of games, but at least there was charge times in FFT that limited the effectiveness of range attacks until you got access to the broken sword skills and mathematics.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Yes, Archers and Arycelle, the unique character representative of the Archer class, are extremely powerful. The only thing that hampers their great power is the fact that 1-H Bows and 1-H Crossbows stop at Level 23. Canopus and Arycelle are very easily among the top most powerful units in the game.

Blog Entries

I used to have both FFT and Ogre Tactic s and much preferred FFT. I don't really remember why as I was in 7th grade but I do remember not really getting that into OT.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Archers can be a little overpowered but their damage is severely hampered by the armored units, and against dragons they're just about useless.

man I didn't know about soloing random battles, but i feel like bringing that low a level with your party would be able to net them at least 1 level a battle, i think i might do that b/c i'm about to go to the Hanging Gardens at the end, but I heard there's a lot of dragons there so I might try to build up a dragoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Well I actually think FFT looks a little better, maybe it's the full 3D environments, or maybe it's that TO looks more like FFTAdvance. Also I thought War of the Lions was retranslated as well, like this was? I actually went to a panel with Alexander O. Smith and his localization partner at PAX East the weekend before last, it was awesome. I was nervous when I got to ask them a question, but they wouldn't confirm or deny that more Ogre Battle games are coming!!!
    Final Fantasy Tactics looks a little better when it comes to the sprites and certain retained animations. I meant that Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is basically just a port of the original game with an updated translation, whereas Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is completely revamped in almost every single way aside from the basic graphics.

Do not be nervous about asking questions like that. You can follow him on Twitter and ask him questions any time: Alexander O. Smith on Twitter

I am a little curious about what he looks like, though. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him at all.
    haha it's a lot different though in person after an awesome, lengthy panel presentation. Plus you can get a lot more than 140 characters back in person, they spent a long time with everyone's question(s) (most of us asked two) and were in general very, very cool.

He's bald and lanky in the FFXII dev interviews but he's gained some weight and grown a beard.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Yes, early on, Archers will be stopped by heavily armored units like Golems and Dragons, but once you build up their Bows or Crossbows skill to a certain point, they start doing heavy damage on even the strongest units. It becomes a little ridiculous how powerful the ranged units become. Canopus and Arycelle, for example, can take out a dragon between them using properly leveled skills in bows or crossbows. Archers eventually learn Double Shot which allows them to make two consecutive attack actions, too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Beat the game, last week, loved it. Played only a couple of the side quests/optional areas, and it took me 65 hours. TONS of content to go. Really satisfied with this game and the ending I got, I heard the others were kind of crazy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

The game easily created over two hundreds hours of content by expanding on sidequests from the original game alongside the addition of The World Tarot. I think that this is how a remake should be done.