Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Good games that you hate.

Man that avatar makes everything you say sound way more pompous lol Maybe that's what you were going for anyways. It seems fitting though. No offense

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    You should know, you're officially dead to me now Flying Arrow for hating on Xenogears and not liking giant robots.
    Giant robots are probably one of the few things that instantly kill my interest in anything. I consider myself a reasonably open-minded person but I really just cannot do giant robots. I didn't even like Transformers as a child (in fact I actively disliked it) and I garroted the last person who invited me to see those Michael Bay catastrophes.

And come on. I know Xenogears is a fan favourite, but it's not like I went and put Chrono Trigger on the list or anything. We can still bond over our mutual dislike for Final Fantasies X and XIII, can't we?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    You're still dead to me. Giant Robots Rock!
    YEAH!!!

We're cool. X and XIII sucked. I played 'em anyway. Honestly, my fav. things about Xenogears would be the story and the soundtrack. The game play was decent, but other RPGs have done it better. There just are hardly any that made me want to find out what happens next the way Xenogears did. It was AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kotora View Post
    And yet you're naming it in the thread for good games that you don't like. Doublethink?
    Probably because I'm one of the few people I have met that think it is a terrible game? Which.. I think that means it would be a good game that I think is horrible.

OH! I have one. Chrono Trigger. For the life of me I could just not get into that game. I'm not going to start bashing it and saying I hate it because its actually a bad game and people just don't realize it or something. It is a good game! I can admit that. And I want to love it. I do. It just never captures my interest. At all. I'm always either confused or bored by whatever plot is going on. I get lost a lot. And when I'm not lost, I struggle to care about whatever plight I'm trying to fix. And I'm honestly not sure why. Because this isn't something to do with my super picky gaming tastes that I've acquired these days. I played CT about the same time I played FF6. I wasn't all that late to the party. Though I've always struggled to enjoy games that have encounters on screen. I always end up rushing past them because I don't want to fight if I don't have to. And then I'm way under-leveled for bosses. So I have to grind until my brain goes numb. And the hero's not talking or engaging me. Which also always bothered me in old-school games. Not good, when coming off of FF4 and 6, where everyone talks. Not sure why it would have bothered me so much, since it was insanely common back then, but it still seemed like a massive step backwards by comparison. And for some reason I never really clicked with the battle system. Which is also a show-stopper for that kinda game. You have to be able to tolerate the battle system, because you have to get into battles. But I'm going to stop analyzing it. I'm just happy (or sad) to have a real candidate for the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    I hate shooters.
    I agree.
    I don't "hate" them, really, but they kind of bother me, i dunno. I can't stick to them. I also think, in a way, that they slightly scare me. ;~;

EDIT: Oh, as well as car/racing games. I just can't stand them. /:

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Vyk, you're joining Flying Arrow on my list of people who are dead to me on this forum.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So much Zelda hate.

Dragon Age: Origins is the only game that comes to mind atm. I heard so much good about this game but it didn't live up to its hype at all. And what's the deal with everyone being all "Oooo Allistair"? He's the tiest tank I've ever had the displeasure of having in a party! And nothing he says is even remotely interesting, just like all the other characters' dialogue. This game was just not fun at all for me.

I agree with Vyk. If there is any RPG that I think is more overrated-ier than Final Fantasy VII, it's Chrono Trigger.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Chelsea vs. Manchester United. >=(
    Liverpool vs. Manchester United. >=(
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

It's difficult to come up with anything fitting the title. Though people might peg me as cynical about everything, when it comes to games I actually try to find the good parts rather than the bad ones. I can usually find at least something redeemable about games that most people dislike.

I skimmed the thread and still haven't see anything that quite has me disgusted and even though in my blog I go over all of the things about Gears of War that I find underwhelming (mostly due to hype) I don't hate that game and actually have had a ton of fun playing it.

There are games that just don't grab me the same as everyone else though. Dragon Age is probably top among them. I've made several fail attempts to finish it. I really though my last one would follow through too. I'm extremely excited while playing it. I like the very gray-area decisions that have to be made. I love the dialogue, and character interactions. I just always find myself putting it down after a while. I'm not that compelled to continue. I respect the gameplay and sometimes enjoy the tight strategy that is required to win a nearly hopeless situation, but at some point everything feels like a chore. Getting new equipment and sorting through stuff seems like the biggest chore of all. As much as I feel empathy toward the story figure and I'm moved for much of it, it's just not enough to keep me wanting to come back.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty Justy View Post
    I agree with Vyk. If there is any RPG that I think is more overrated-ier than Final Fantasy VII, it's Chrono Trigger.

You're also on the list and you just reminded me of another overrated game I never cared for. Baldur's Gate. Its like playing with the most gnarm inducing LARP players this side of the Pacific.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

You're also on the list and you just reminded me of another overrated game I never cared for. Baldur's Gate. Its like playing with the most gnarm inducing LARP players this side of the Pacific.
    IMO, the sequel makes up for it

Parasite Eve for me. I'm still trying to make my way through the game... I really wanna like it. I mean, the atmosphere is superb. But I think it's the battle system that's killing me. I think I messed my game up since I made Aya's gun shoot five times in succession, which makes her stand in place and unable to sustain any damage whatsoever.(SPOILER) I'm back at NYPD and the adorable pooch Sheeva just turned into an Eldritch Abomination, which just makes me sad Can't get past, though. The battle area's are so smurfing small I can't do anything!

I really wanted to like this game. But it just doesn't seem to want me to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Man that avatar makes everything you say sound way more pompous lol Maybe that's what you were going for anyways. It seems fitting though. No offense
    OMG THIS!!!

Kotora I refuse to take your comments seriously and as a proud Bieber-H8er you will now forgo any relevance you've ever had in your life!!

/sarcasm

I am admittedly shocked at some of the games on this list. I can't believe someone mention Xenogears...that's like a crime against humanity lol! Bioshock, DA:O & Deux Ex?!?!? I mean your entitled to your own opinions, but wow. It's like Wolf's rant about Crisis Core, when me and (I would think alot of people) generally liked it. Infact, I'd say it's probably one of the best on the PSP. Fallout 3 and GTA are understandable. I find that longer games tend to have a really low completion rate among gamers, so people who don't witness the "dramatic revelations/ game changer" near the end of the game and never truly get to appreciate it! I had an argument with a friend who was proclaiming that inFamous and Deux Ex sucked. He never got to the end of inFamous so he never saw the craziness/ epicness that the ending opened up and he couldn't stand the graphics of Deux Ex so he stopped playing it before he realized how deep the game mechanics were. A good example of not fully playing a game is MILF's proclamation of not being able to get thru the intro of Okami, I hope to god he was being sarcastic cause that is a f**ked up way to judge a game.

Yeah, I know I couldn't have picked a worse contender to hate. But I don't really hate it, and I certainly don't just hate it for being over-rated. But like Yearg, its hard for me to say I hate a game. I can mostly just admit a game is just not for me. Which is what Chrono Trigger personifies for me. Its not a terrible game. And I truly wanted to like it. Its just not for me. Though I admit there really aren't a whole lot of RPGs out there like it, so for the people it did click with, what else are they supposed to love? If that kinda stuff gets them off, its gotta be that game or nothing. And apparently that gets a lot of people off, so of course its pretty widely loved. Just not by me :]

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

IMO, the sequel makes up for it

Parasite Eve for me. I'm still trying to make my way through the game... I really wanna like it. I mean, the atmosphere is superb. But I think it's the battle system that's killing me. I think I messed my game up since I made Aya's gun shoot five times in succession, which makes her stand in place and unable to sustain any damage whatsoever.(SPOILER) I'm back at NYPD and the adorable pooch Sheeva just turned into an Eldritch Abomination, which just makes me sad Can't get past, though. The battle area's are so smurfing small I can't do anything!

I really wanted to like this game. But it just doesn't seem to want me to.
    I want to hate you for this, but I loved the game when it was new. Even then the combat system was "clunky". I really thought it was innovative for an RPG, but definitely needed more developing. Then they scrapped it for the sequel.

Anyway, I bet if I tried it now (and I plan to, thank you ebay!) I would hate the combat too.