Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Useless characters

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    One complaint I've always had about this otherwise awesome game is that some of the characters get overshadowed by the rest of the cast as the game progresses. It seems like for most of the game the story is all about Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Steiner, and characters like Freya, Quina, and Amarant are only relevant when you first get them. Especially Freya and Amarant.

Even in a game with a huge cast like FFVI I felt that the characters all got fair treatment. This was probably because each one had at least one side quest that helped them develop. Yet I don't remember any end game quests that center around Freya and Amarant. Quina at least had the frog quest. Maybe there were some others and I forgot them. It has been a while.

It's a shame, because I really would have liked to get to know some of the less relevant characters more.
    Exactly my thoughts.
    Quina is probably the most useless character in the FF universe. She's also (at least in my opinion) the one whose reason to join your party sucks the most of them all.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Blasphemy! Quina is one of the best characters ever! S/he may not have had the personality and development of many other FF characters but s/he is an innovative character who provides comic relief and a variety of useful abilities in battle.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Sorry, but I didn't find him/her amusing except during the wedding with Vivi. And, though I definitely agree that his/her abilities are awesome, plot-wise he/she is useless. The one and only moment where she/he had the spot was in the marsh near Lindblum where you're looking for a way to the other continent. Might as well have made him/her an NPC.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Is quina the same gourmand from the start of the game?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

yes

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

HOLY CRAP! Then Quina is a famous chef!
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Blasphemy! Quina is one of the best characters ever! S/he may not have had the personality and development of many other FF characters but s/he is an innovative character who provides comic relief and a variety of useful abilities in battle.
    This. This x100!

YOU HAVE PROBLEM?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I found Quina pretty funny at times but certainly he/she is not really developed. This didn't annoy me though as I feel Quina's presence never detracted from the story.

Amarant is surprisingly well developed imo given how little he has to say. I find that a lot of his quotes throughout the game are quite meaningful and help give a good insight into how his character changes.
    Amarant: "Foolish."

Fire Guard: "What?"

Amarant: "Picking fights with strangers in a place like this... I used
    to know someone like that. He was a loser... He refused to
    find beneficial ways to use his power. Instead, he'd seek out
    people to fight..."

Freya: "Amarant..."

Fire Guard: "What...are you talking about?"

Freya: "We'll show you what he means!"

Fire Guard: "Interesting...but you'll regret this!"
    For example, the above self-referential quote shows how Amarant matures throughout the game.

I also like:
    Amarant: "I'm beginning to understand why he won and I lost... I lost
    against his way of thinking..."

Freya is one character I'd like to have seen more developed towards the end of the game. But I think that was very difficult to achieve with the plot driving everything forward so fast.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteStorm View Post
    Quina is probably the most useless character in the FF universe.
    Penelo from FFXII. At least Quina had a discernible character. Penelo could be replaced by a magical cardboard cut-out of her that retains her ability to fight and nobody would notice.

I think Amarant was developed in the game, but as he was so quiet and had so few lines, it wasn't something thrown in your face. I do think Freya was pushed aside early on. Eiko's development as a character was also a bit weak after you met her. And Quina has been mentioned. I'd also like to have seen more Beatrix and Fratley, because they are awesome.

Quina is the only useful character.

Quote Originally Posted by gyrus View Post
    Quina is the only useful character.
    I'm going to argue that Eiko is better. White Wind, Mighty Guard, and a big fork that had a GINORMOUS dmg range (sometimes next to no dmg, sometimes bunches) are pretty much all Quina had. The only thing I used her for in the game other than a 4th party member during certain parts of the game where youd normally only have 3 is for the frog game (DONT EAT THE GOLD ONES).

Carbuncle is better than Mighty Guard, Eiko can heal the whole team no problem, she has Pheonix and Holy, and she actually does stuff in the story.
    Last edited by Kyros; 06-19-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Carbuncle is better than Mighty Guard
    Don't know about all that and there's more too her that Del mentioned. Also what's the reason for not eating the gold ones? Does the game penalize you for it? I agree that Eiko is an all around better character because being a White Mage summoner she is more focused.

The gold frogs speed up the frog mating by super lots.

I'd say that in any game, there are always a core group of characters that the story revolves around with the others being relegated to extra characters after recruitment. How useless or pointless those extra characters are depends on each persons personal taste and interests.

I personally found Quina humorous, the way he kept jumping in rivers and trying everything, and how he just disappears from the party and they don't even really notice.

Amarant was good too. Silent but insightful and has a moral code in that he detested lani for taking a hostage.

Articles
    Blog Entries

VI, IX, and XIII always had the best casts for me. Everyone felt relevant, if not necessary. All the characters were likable, fleshed-out, and generally useful.