Page 222 of 528 FirstFirst ... 122172202212216217218219220221222223224225226227228232242272322 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 7907

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Alright, just watched the episode. I don't see the problem with that scene.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)

I THOUGHT BRAN WAS A SWEET LITTLE LESBIAN CHICK FAN WITH GLASSES AND THEN I DID A DOUBLE TAKE

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    My friend and I found it odd. But nothing to discuss over and over again...

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Every episode I find myself falling further in love with Sansa. God Sophie Turner is beautiful.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by Shaibana; 04-24-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't think the scene is terrible for the context of the show but it's not surprising that many are upset that the show is becoming less of an adaptation and more like fanfiction. The stories they want to tell just aren't as interesting or nuanced as the source material, as Kalevala explained so well on the previous page.

Anyone who expected a completely faithful adaptation when this was announced doesn't know a lot about book-to-movie or book-to-television adaptations.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I don't think the scene is terrible for the context of the show but it's not surprising that many are upset that the show is becoming less of an adaptation and more like fanfiction. The stories they want to tell just aren't as interesting or nuanced as the source material, as Kalevala explained so well on the previous page.
    and that is why i first watch the show, and read the books after it

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ not gonna lie, a part of me envies you!

Anyone who expected a completely faithful adaptation when this was announced doesn't know a lot about book-to-movie or book-to-television adaptations.
    I know you're smart enough to understand what a really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking. that is. No one has critiqued the show for not being "completely faithful."

Except a significant amount of the critiques of that one particular scene, perhaps not on this site, have lead with a complaint that it isn't how it was in the book. As are most complaints about how the story lines in the show are progressing. Plenty of people are critiquing the show for not being completely faithful or knocking it for deviating even slightly for the source material. Just as it is receiving praise for deviating from the books.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

My complaint is not necessarily that it wasn't like it was in the book, it's that the scene in the show was really weird and bizarre. When you compare it to the book scene - which was much better - you wonder why they made the choices they did.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

In the book, (SPOILER)wasn't this scene the first time Cersei and Jaime were reunited after being apart for a long time? I think the book scene makes more sense in that context; they're happy to see each other again. In the show, they've been together for a while, and had a lot of time to get over being happy to see each other. Cersei has been through a lot of stuff on her own, like that whole Stannis battle, losing her son to Margaery, losing a lot of her influence thanks to her father taking over, being married off to Loras, watching her son die. All this while Jaime is off being captured and having his hand chopped off. Then he shows up all gross and dirty missing an arm, unable to fight any longer. He failed to be there for her when she needed him, and he also failed to protect Joffrey even when he returned. It makes sense that she might not be his biggest fan in the show.

Meanwhile Jaime has lost pretty much everything. Cersei is all he has left, and she was turning away from him. Considering how despicable both characters are and what they've been through, the scene in the show made sense to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Basically, I think people are still harking back to a nicer, kinder Jaime when we were seeing that lovable comedy duo of 'The Adventures of Brienne and Jaime'.

Oh, and also, I've finally made my GoT set! I hope it's decent. I really can't do sets very well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    In the book, (SPOILER)wasn't this scene the first time Cersei and Jaime were reunited after being apart for a long time? I think the book scene makes more sense in that context; they're happy to see each other again. In the show, they've been together for a while, and had a lot of time to get over being happy to see each other. Cersei has been through a lot of stuff on her own, like that whole Stannis battle, losing her son to Margaery, losing a lot of her influence thanks to her father taking over, being married off to Loras, watching her son die. All this while Jaime is off being captured and having his hand chopped off. Then he shows up all gross and dirty missing an arm, unable to fight any longer. He failed to be there for her when she needed him, and he also failed to protect Joffrey even when he returned. It makes sense that she might not be his biggest fan in the show.

Meanwhile Jaime has lost pretty much everything. Cersei is all he has left, and she was turning away from him. Considering how despicable both characters are and what they've been through, the scene in the show made sense to me.
    George R.R. Martin actually said the same thing about it in a comment for an unrelated blog post. I felt the same way and I honestly do agree with Bunny that the fan blanket reaction to any deviation is arbitrary. I actually think A LOT of the book deviations have been pretty good but as a whole, they have been pretty hit or miss. This one just happened to be a miss. A very creepy, cringe-worthy miss. Maybe that was the point, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    My complaint is not necessarily that it wasn't like it was in the book, it's that the scene in the show was really weird and bizarre. When you compare it to the book scene - which was much better - you wonder why they made the choices they did.
    This sums up my position as well. I don't want anyone to think I'm just being a spoiled fan. It isn't that I didn't like the deviation. I would have had issues with it even if it were the source material.