Page 27 of 528 FirstFirst ... 71721222324252627282930313233374777127527 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

GoT isn't GoT without slappage.

I actually felt bad for theon. The show is doing a good job of that even though I know he's a super douche.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't understand what is wrong with you, Del. I thought this episode was lovely. I've never been even slightly bored during any episode.

They're doing a really good job of making Theon more sympathetic than in the books.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm not bored, I just want more. It's that you can basically summarize what has happened in each storyline after three episodes in about two sentences.

I'm used to this in TV, so it's no big deal. Nothing happened in Lost for about 3 whole years.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm torn between wishing they'd cover fewer storylines per episode (and thus spend more time on each one) and being happy to see a little bit of each storyline. I like all of the storylines--even Theon's, which I didn't much care for in the books.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Arya is as great as ever and Tyrion is perfectly masterful.

I know I pretty much only ever post stuff along those lines in this thread but come on, what's a guy to do?

I have absolutely no problem with how they are doing the show. They are doing a marvelous job with presenting the characters individual stores with how they are in the book. Would I like for them to spend more time with each character? Yes, but that's not how it was in the book either. Every time you read a new character's chapter, you just want to continue that one. Until you get to the next chapter and it is a different character, then you just want more of that character's story. This show does that with absolutely perfection.

And there are only three story lines in the books. The North (Jon Snow, Sam, etc), Across the Narrow Sea (Dany), and General Westero (Every Other Character). They have done a really good job presenting this structure through the last three episodes and I can only assume that they will continue doing so with the rest of the season. I have zero complaints about how this show is being run and filmed so far and I can't wait for them to get to the major parts of the book.

I think the biggest problem people are having with this season is how different it is from the first one. A lot happened in the first book primarily because they were introducing all of the characters and those characters then split up. With Clash of Kings everything is entirely political - either everything happens on the surface (the wars and battles) or everything happens in private (a perfect example of Tyrion's tricking Littlefinger, Varys and Pycelle. This book is so drastically different from how things were occurring in the first book that people are going to have their complaints. The third book will showcase this even more, I think, and people will be slightly disappointed (or massively disappointed after certain developments) but oh well, that doesn't really matter that much.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The difference is with the books is that you can skip to that character's next chapter if you want to read more about them, or skim the parts that you can tell are just more 'war preparations' or 'wandering the desert aimlessly' or 'hanging out at the incest man's house'. But that will always be an advantage of books.

I think you nailed it by saying that Game of Thrones starts off with the characters more or less together, and then everyone splinters off. In this season, everyone is already splintered and so far the main characters haven't really interacted much. Last season Tyrion's story interacted with Jon's, then with Catelyn's, Ned's interacted with Arya's, etc. That caused stuff to happen. So far there is a lot of buildup but not much happens until the final scene of each episode.

I just hope the Night's Watch has finally left that guy's house and that Daenerys finally stops wandering through the desert in the next episode.

Also the loss of Sean Bean has left a gaping hole in this cast about the size of his big head. I know all the main characters are important but he really commanded every scene he was in and something always happened when he was around.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Dany is, arguably, the main character of GoT now and she wasn't even in that episode. Not that I am complaining. Her story bores me to tears. I liked that episode. Swords, titties, political plotting. By the numbers GoT

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Don't forget gay making out.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I'm very happy with Margaery's casting from what I've seen so far. They did a good job with Brienne looks-wise, but her acting seems a little awkward. Then again, her character is supposed to be all awkwardness so maybe it's just that. Loras seems okay. I imagined him smaller and fairer, but that's just details. If there's one actor I'm disappointed with, it's Jon. I'm always excited to read about him in the books but every time I see him looking sullen (does he have another look?) in the show I sigh discontentedly on the inside.

At first I was disappointed at how much they compressed Arya's storyline, but after considering it more I think the show is probably better off this way, as long as they take the time to develop some more hatred in Arya for Polliver & Co.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    I'm torn between wishing they'd cover fewer storylines per episode (and thus spend more time on each one) and being happy to see a little bit of each storyline. I like all of the storylines--even Theon's, which I didn't much care for in the books.
    This is it exactly.

It's like, YAY! We get to see bits of nearly everyone! ARGH! Incremental story progression!

The strength in Game of Thrones is the characters and the acting. I don't think the pacing is all that good. It started off super slow the first season too. But that's just how it goes with a lot of cable shows. Look at Breaking Bad, look at Mad Men. All slow burning shows focused on character. And then you get to the 2nd half of the season and all hell breaks loose and it's like WHOA BLOWING YOUR MIND.

The thing that's hard is that the first season did such a good job of getting you invested in the main characters that you want to get screen time with them and see their stories progress. So at this point, I really could not give a trout about Gay Wannabe King or Older Uglier Wannabe King with crazy witch lady. I really love Daenerys but her storyline is boring the hell outta me. I want more dragons! Rawr! Rather than, huuuungry. Duuuusty.

I was really happy to see Anne Boleyn in the last episode. Always trying to get pregnant.

I haven't seen the last 2 episodes, however, somebody mentioned feeling sorry for Theon. Reading the books I felt sorry for him, even though he is a superdouche. He just smurfed up. He's just trying so hard to prove himself, but winds up failing at life. Like the underdog who never stops being the underdog no matter how hard he tries.
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    This is it exactly.

It's like, YAY! We get to see bits of nearly everyone! ARGH! Incremental story progression!

The strength in Game of Thrones is the characters and the acting. I don't think the pacing is all that good. It started off super slow the first season too. But that's just how it goes with a lot of cable shows. Look at Breaking Bad, look at Mad Men. All slow burning shows focused on character. And then you get to the 2nd half of the season and all hell breaks loose and it's like WHOA BLOWING YOUR MIND.

The thing that's hard is that the first season did such a good job of getting you invested in the main characters that you want to get screen time with them and see their stories progress. So at this point, I really could not give a trout about Gay Wannabe King or Older Uglier Wannabe King with crazy witch lady. I really love Daenerys but her storyline is boring the hell outta me. I want more dragons! Rawr! Rather than, huuuungry. Duuuusty.
    I love Renly and Brienne--not so much Stannis. But I guess that's kind of the point. xD I just love character-driven stories, so I can deal with the impossible pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I was really happy to see Anne Boleyn in the last episode. Always trying to get pregnant.
    Seriously. xD Loved her in Tudors, and she's great in this. Despite wishing we had more time with, say, Arya, I like seeing more of Margery's character.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTifa View Post
    I haven't seen the last 2 episodes, however, somebody mentioned feeling sorry for Theon. Reading the books I felt sorry for him, even though he is a superdouche. He just smurfed up. He's just trying so hard to prove himself, but winds up failing at life. Like the underdog who never stops being the underdog no matter how hard he tries.
    I feel the same way, just how the show is doing it it's much easier to feel that way. Of course, book spoilerwe haven't got to the part where he kills Bran and Rickon yet.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't stop my at what a boneheaded idiot Balon is. I can certainly understand his thirst for revenge against the Starks but the way he's acting you'd think he's completely incapable of human interaction that doesn't involve killing.

FISHERMAN
    Ah, Lord Greyjoy, good to see you. Can I interest you in some of my fish? It's a fine catch today!
    BALON
    Hmph. Looks alright I suppose, for a wetnurse like you to catch.
    FISHERMAN
    As you say, M'lord.
    BALON
    I'll take this one.
    FISHERMAN
    Of course M'lord. That will be ten coppers.
    BALON grabs the FISHERMAN by the shirt, hauls him over the counter, and throws him to the floor. BALON draws a knife and holds it to the FISHERMAN'S throat.
    BALON
    What are my words?
    FISHERMAN
    My lord?
    BALON
    We do not sow. I will not pay the gold price for this, but the iron one.
    BALON stabs the FISHERMAN through the throat, killing him in seconds.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You are clearly not iron born, built of salt and sea. What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger. WE DO NOT SOW, MILF.