Page 54 of 528 FirstFirst ... 43444484950515253545556575859606474104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I'm (too) slowly coming to the realization that Bolivar has a controversial opinion about damn near everything.

The only people who were upset by the second season have completely unrealistic expectations for adaptations from one format to another. The series, as a whole, remains one of the best book to film (movie or television) adaptations ever. It's hardly perfect, but adaptations never are. For what it is, the show is phenomenal.

Also, Dany's storyline is the worst part of the books. It's plodding, dull, and is only ever redeemed by one awesome scene at the end of each book. Otherwise, Dany spends an awful lot of time doing or saying a lot of stupid things. I will never understand why one cool chapter per book seems to make everyone forget how god awful the majority of the other ones are.
    I'm sorry, but if you modestly survey fan reaction, it really isn't all that controversial, nor is it the adaptation that has disappointed so many.

(SPOILER)And I understand Dany is the most polarizing character in the book but I'm surprised you actually think she's stupid. A lot of her story is her outwitting the seemingly more powerful people around her to the point she's become a true Targaryen conqueror in fact and name. I personally didn't find it boring since it's the foreign contrast to Westeros and where we get to learn more about Rhaegar Targaryen who is not only one of the most fascinating characters in the story, probably Jon Snow's father, and the epicenter of all the story's mysteries, but everything written about him is building up to this unbearably-anticipated plot twist (which ironically for this discussion is somethingalso completely abandoned by the show.)

Added a spoiler tag because, although very vague, I think it might bother non-readers. And I know a lot of non-readers who plug their ears and don't want to know the popular fan theory about Jon's parentage. -Shlup

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, the Targaryens are heavily inbred. So calling her stupid is not entirely far-fetched.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you modestly survey fan reaction, it really isn't all that controversial, nor is it the adaptation that has disappointed so many.
    Everyone I know is happy with it, and I rarely see any complaints in the subreddit. You're welcome to have unreachable expectations though.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    You're literally the only person I know that has mentioned anything like this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    Everyone I know is happy with it, and I rarely see any complaints in the subreddit. You're welcome to have unreachable expectations though.
    Hm? I actually thought the first season was as good as an adaptation could've been. I guess I'm just looking at more ASOIAF-focused communities than the rest of you..

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Regarding Dany's intelligence:When, except for her purchase of the Unsullied, has Dany ever won anything by virtue of deception or intellect? She spends a great deal more time stubbornly defending the less fortunate at her own expense and making decisions based on emotional outbursts. Each book she appears in so far features a story arch in which she spends several chapters passively letting others plot and scheme around her, until she screws up and gets stuck in a bind, and then somehow manages to fix that mistake because DRAGONS.

Until A Dance with Dragons, I had begun to believe that the justification for Dany's one-track-mindedness had been because she, like her father before her, was mad, and the only reason the reader didn't know it was because she had not featured in any chapter except those from her own point of view. Then we got some POV chapters from characters who have interacted with her, and none of them suggested anything of the sort.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Regarding Dany's intelligence:When, except for her purchase of the Unsullied, has Dany ever won anything by virtue of deception or intellect? She spends a great deal more time stubbornly defending the less fortunate at her own expense and making decisions based on emotional outbursts. Each book she appears in so far features a story arch in which she spends several chapters passively letting others plot and scheme around her, until she screws up and gets stuck in a bind, and then somehow manages to fix that mistake because DRAGONS.

Until A Dance with Dragons, I had begun to believe that the justification for Dany's one-track-mindedness had been because she, like her father before her, was mad, and the only reason the reader didn't know it was because she had not featured in any chapter except those from her own point of view. Then we got some POV chapters from characters who have interacted with her, and none of them suggested anything of the sort.
    Dany's an entitled little brat. And often her pride of "helping people" outweighs actually helping people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

I'm not entirely sure where all this is coming from, but Dany is still basically a child. Not all of the kids can grow up like Arya.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    I'm not entirely sure where all this is coming from, but Dany is still basically a child. Not all of the kids can grow up like Arya.
    First off, Arya makes some stupid decisions. I wouldn't really call her grown up and mature, rather than just being thrust into some tough situations.

Secondly, Dany is a terrible character.

Articles
    Blog Entries

(SPOILER)When she treated with the sellsword captains to discern which could turn the battle in her favor, then caught the Yunkish enemy unawares (much like Robb did at the forks). Then she utilized her sellswords' experience again by having them infiltrate Meereen and capture the city in a ridiculously short amount of time. I think it was noted how fast she pulled it off and how relatively little looting/rioting there was in its wake. She's actually been a pretty good strategist in A Storm of Swords. Going back to AGoT, she also won over the Khalasar and was accepted as one of their own (of course she didn't understand that most would leave once Drogo did). In A Clash of Kings she was also able to bring everyone out of the Red Waste by utilizing her bloodriders in the way most likely to bring about success. I know A Dance with Dragons makes it kind of tough to get through her sitting around and waiting, but I think marrying Hizdahr might've actually been the best move if it wasn't for the Drogon incident. I really don't think he's the Harpy.

I actually think you might be right about your second point, though. IMO she's being built up as the series antagonist because almost everything she's done has lead to the death and suffering of a huge amount of people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    First off, Arya makes some stupid decisions. I wouldn't really call her grown up and mature, rather than just being thrust into some tough situations.

Of course she does, she starts the series when she's like 9.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yes, I know all of this.

I'm saying, that Arya is often treated like she's perfect and makes no mistakes, and that's not the case. Even in the later books.

Blog Entries

Yes, I know all of this.

I'm saying, that Arya is often treated like she's perfect and makes no mistakes, and that's not the case. Even in the later books.
    Everyone in the series makes mistakes. o_O She's at least less stupid than Dany, who is older.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

LAY OFF ARYA SHES THE BEST

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator
    Last edited by Lonely Paper Star; 02-23-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.