Page 485 of 528 FirstFirst ... 385435465475479480481482483484485486487488489490491495505 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,275 of 7907

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I can believe there'd be friction between the sisters sure, but waving daggers around and doing the "lol I'ma keel you" routine is smurfing ridiculous.
    There's friction then there's full-on, no eyewitnesses threatening and intimidation.

Honestly the whole Winterfell arc's been badly written, and feels like this season's Dorne. Wasted potential. The main thing it needed was more scenes, more dialogue, more time. It feels like it's missing a few scenes to really clarify what's going on.

Also, notice how Sam didn't cite Gilly when he laid out his discoveries to Bran. How rude!

The Winterfell sequence this season once again felt like they had the end point of "Littlefinger dead, Starks united" and then tried to reverse engineer it. It is quite the strange end for a character who thrived in the shadows and playing people off one another.

I recently went back to watch Season One again and MAN, is Littlefinger creepy from the start. The way he is all over Cat Stark and yet somehow, she TRUSTS him!

There is no such thing as too much Bronn, but he (and Davos to some extent) have become the one-liner machines the writers use whenever they want to break up all the big monologuing that other characters engage in. Still, I am happy he wasn't burnt or drowned this season and look forward to him getting that castle and high born wife.

One other lingering question I have:

What the heck happened to Varys? He went from being this master of information and now... just sort of hangs out in the back ground. I get that the story needs to streamline itself, but so many characters are being sidelined that it feels almost like we forgot the personalities and backstories that came before it.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    The Winterfell sequence this season once again felt like they had the end point of "Littlefinger dead, Starks united" and then tried to reverse engineer it. It is quite the strange end for a character who thrived in the shadows and playing people off one another.
    A lot of the plot points this season seem to revolve around reverse engineering. Like with Dany 'needing' to lose a dragon. Well what better way than to achieve that than teleportation! And so on. It's kinda lazy. It also means Tyrion is forced to look like an absolute idiot, like with Dany losing her forces and the situation at Casterly Rock (that got resolved suspiciously without any fanfare).

Also agreed with Varys. He's really out of focus now. Again, this is probably because this season's focus on big set-pieces as opposed to subtle intrigue. This also explains why Littlefinger had to die. The show's moving towards mythology and war, and there simply isn't enough time to include heavy politics. Littlefinger doesn't factor into White Walkers and doomy prophecies. They just exist in separate spheres.

Completely agree on Tyrion. He's gone from being the most clever character to the one who is always screwing up? I don't buy that for a minute.

Take care all.

I just wanna put this on the record: the White Walkers are the worst part of Game of Thrones and their prominence now has - not ruined, but certainly diminished - the show as a whole.

They were fine when they were this kind of 'distant threat;' everyone except the Night's Watch could get on with their subtle maneuverings to place themselves on the Iron Throne. But at some point that 'distant threat' has to become an 'immediate threat,' at which point everyone has to drop all the interesting trout they're doing and march north to fight them. I think it's safe to say that the least interesting part of the last 7 seasons have been the zombie movie bits.

And now, unfortunately, it's mostly the zombie movie.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I just wanna put this on the record: the White Walkers are the worst part of Game of Thrones and their prominence now has - not ruined, but certainly diminished - the show as a whole.

They were fine when they were this kind of 'distant threat;' everyone except the Night's Watch could get on with their subtle maneuverings to place themselves on the Iron Throne. But at some point that 'distant threat' has to become an 'immediate threat,' at which point everyone has to drop all the interesting trout they're doing and march north to fight them. I think it's safe to say that the least interesting part of the last 7 seasons have been the zombie movie bits.

All true. Having said that though, they did have to become a more immediate threat eventually. But it's still a shame, I preferred the intrigue and character development. The show just had more time to... settle, as opposed to the hasty storylines we're getting now (i.e Winterfell).

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

All true. Having said that though, they did have to become a more immediate threat eventually.
    I just wish they'd never been there in the first place and the only threat from 'beyond the wall' was in fact the Wildlings.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I don't think the Wildlings would be a good stand in. Their whole motivation for coming south is to escape from the White Walkers. They're not motivated by conquest and violence in the main, although some certainly are, but out of a need for survival.

I also think Hardhome was one of the greatest episodes the show has produced, and the existential horror of the White Walkers and their works created some truly powerful moments (the scene at the gate and the scene on the boat at the end both instantly spring to mind) that couldn't have been replicated with a different foe.

With that said, I agree that it has been one of the weakest aspects of the show, with it being at its strongest when the political intrigue and plotting is taking place, interspersed with unexpected violence.

There's a George RR Martin quote that is often wheeled out when discussing the White Walkers/Others.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRRM
    Much as I admire Tolkien, and I do admire Tolkien — he’s been a huge influence on me, and his Lord of the Rings is the mountain that leans over every other fantasy written since and shaped all of modern fantasy — there are things about it, the whole concept of the Dark Lord, and good guys battling bad guys, Good versus Evil, while brilliantly handled in Tolkien, in the hands of many Tolkien successors, it has become kind of a cartoon. We don’t need any more Dark Lords, we don’t need any more, ‘Here are the good guys, they’re in white, there are the bad guys, they’re in black. And also, they’re really ugly, the bad guys.
    This quote is often used to wave away criticism of the White Walkers and the many enthusiastic theorymakers have tried to add genuine motivations to them that aren't "smurf you let's just kill everyone" as a result.

The problem that I have is that they're leaving this payoff entirely too late and with such little foreshadowing with it to become rewarding. If your best evidence that the White Walkers are more than just murderous arseholes is a vague quote from the author, the writers have done a pretty bad job. The Sixth Sense would've been trout if there hadn't been all those glaring but easily missed hints throughout that, well, y'know. As it stands, they could pull the Shyamalan twist that "omg humanity were the real monsters all along" and I won't really give a smurf and still want Jon, Dany et al to smash them asap so we can get back to the real business of who wins the Game of Thrones.

The best we have so far is that flashback Bran had and Children of the Forest saying they made them to stop men invading their lands. Okay, the manufactured super soldier gone rogue trope. Meh. FFVII did that one a lot better!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Remember this?

I wonder what relevance (if any) that will have eventually. It's always stuck in my mind when I ponder any motivations or chances for them to be 'not completely evil guys' that could pop up.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This season had a lot of good moments, and I'm willing to wave away situations where people probably should have died (ie Jaime) in exchange for the hope that they will have monumental scenes and potentially greater deaths in season 8.

I'm aware that's not how people like to watch this show. They want the real deal, right now reality of what should have happened. But the season's over. So let's find a silver lining.

Given the length of the final two seasons, I'm kind of treating them as a Part 1 and Part 2 to the overarching "Great War" story. Of course, not everyone will look at it that way. But it helps if I think of this season as set up, where the chess board is being placed for a good end game. We've gotten rid of the pawns, the enemies are in a position to check, and it'll be a furious battle to see who can get checkmate first.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    To be fair, that was more Baelish making sloppy mistakes than anything, and also Baelish not being used to dealing with a person like Ara. But more than anything? The one thing he couldn't get past wasn't Sansa or Arya. It was Bran. He literally saw all the things happen. Baelish is all okay when he's dealing with the aristocracy but he has never really been in the kind of situation he found himself in at Winterfell. As soon as Bran threw out the "Chaos is a ladder" line there was nothing Baelish could do for all his wits.

But seriously, that was all Bran. Bran is the ultimate trump card at any court session. He can verify anything.
    Seems like such an easy out, though. There has to be parameters to what he can do/know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    There is no such thing as too much Bronn, but he (and Davos to some extent) have become the one-liner machines the writers use whenever they want to break up all the big monologuing that other characters engage in. Still, I am happy he wasn't burnt or drowned this season and look forward to him getting that castle and high born wife.
    Not saying I disagree; I love both Bronn and Davos. But that's kina like saying Olenna Tyrell should be the one sleeping with Jon Snow because Diane Rigg is a better actress than Emilia Clarke.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Definitely an easy out, and there are some light parameters - he has to know what he's looking for (as evidenced by not thinking to watch Jon Snow's parents marriage etc).

I think honestly it's entirely reasonable that a person such as Bran would go back to find out who attempted his murder as a child, and what he got up to after that. I don't know that it would make sense he'd know about the Chaos Is A Ladder moment, but knowing it was Petyr who gave a blade to someone to kill him? That's reasonable.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hah! i love that! nice move

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I hope we get a look at the alternate endings via deleted scenes on bluray.