Page 468 of 528 FirstFirst ... 368418448458462463464465466467468469470471472473474478488518 ... LastLast
Results 7,006 to 7,020 of 7907

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    What prophecy is that, Psy? I don't remember that one.
    You can see it mentioned here: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php..._of_High_Heart

As we know from her predictions to Arya and the BWB, she is pretty good at what she does!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I know it's too little too late at this point but a part of me has always wanted Little Finger to be a Snape type figure who has a redeeming death.

Sadly I think he's just a snake through and through.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The best part of this theorizing is talking about how GRRM throws fantasy tropes on their head, then basing all your predictions on the fantasy trope that prophecies are always 100% true. To pull from The Hound, "smurf prophecy". They're old stories that sound more like folk legends than divine forsight and there's no reason to trust them. So Cersie managed to outlive her kids. Maggy the frog is full of trout and a little brother isn't waiting around to stab her.

Articles

True, but you can't argue with Maggy the Frog's results so far! Or Jingle Bell or the Ghost of High Heart for that matter.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

maybe

maybe prophecy DOES matter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

In fact, if it really does, it'd be even better? Because if Rhaegar WAS AA, then the world is pretty smurfed.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hopefully Martin will live another 20 years so that he finishes the series and you guys can finally find out. As for the show, I think they are quite comfortable about using as many fantasy tropes as they need to wrap this thing up.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Fantasy tropes are fine. There is such a thing as too much subverting tropes becoming a trope in itself.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wait a minute... what if using only a few tropes to avoid the subverting trope then becomes the ultimate trope? Should you use more or less tropes at that point???

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Wait a minute... what if using only a few tropes to avoid the subverting trope then becomes the ultimate trope? Should you use more or less tropes at that point???
    Game of Tropes.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I'd say either is fine, if you moderately use tropes, your fan base will never know when something is a trope or a subverted trope.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

There was a fan poll taken at Con of Thrones. Out of 5 or 6 groups of fans straw polled, 90% of people in every group said we're straight up just not getting a dream of spring.

Instead of waiting with baited breath for the final 2 books, an overwhelming majority of fans are just on board with Game of Thrones season 8 being the only ending they're ever going to get.

It helps the defeatist attitude along that Martin said he doesn't want his work to be released posthumously.

I can appreciate and understand where Martin is coming from when he says a writer should be able to write at their own pace and write what they want to write, but at the same time I think the pressure should be on. He's working with showrunners who have run out of source material and he's spending a lot of time making all these lore books and side stories.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    There was a fan poll taken at Con of Thrones. Out of 5 or 6 groups of fans straw polled, 90% of people in every group said we're straight up just not getting a dream of spring.

Instead of waiting with baited breath for the final 2 books, an overwhelming majority of fans are just on board with Game of Thrones season 8 being the only ending they're ever going to get.

It helps the defeatist attitude along that Martin said he doesn't want his work to be released posthumously.

I can appreciate and understand where Martin is coming from when he says a writer should be able to write at their own pace and write what they want to write, but at the same time I think the pressure should be on. He's working with showrunners who have run out of source material and he's spending a lot of time making all these lore books and side stories.
    If he wasn't writing lore books and side stories so often, I don't think people would get so upset. And he travels a LOT. Granted, he's a famous author, but sometimes it seems excessive.

And he SHOULD get to dictate the pace he writes and if his work can be written by someone else posthumously. But at the same time, he doesn't get to be pissy when people say they think he'll die before he finishes it, or when D&D get to do big reveals he wanted to do first (re: Hodor).

I think it's probably we'll get The Winds of Winter, but not A Dream of Spring. And he's even mentioned before that he MIGHT need more than two more books to finish the story.

But when he's taking 7+ years between books, it's likely we won't see it.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The ghost of high heart is a bit of a different case, though. She wasn't having visions of the future, she had a greenseer telling her the future they saw. That's a little different than blood magic and storytime.

Articles

I think GRRM lost that loving feeling when it came to this story a long time ago, he hates feeling trapped by it and wants to do other things, and now he's just going through the motions.