Page 469 of 528 FirstFirst ... 369419449459463464465466467468469470471472473474475479489519 ... LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,035 of 7907

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think you're right, and that's fair. I think more than anything, he hates having to stick something like a schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I was talking about this with Freya the other day. Unlike a writer like Brandon Sanderson who holds himself accountable with deadlines and cranks out books, Martin treats writing like "hey i'm just a guy fortunate enough to do a hobby full time" instead of a job with a deadline.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh hay that's me

Yeah Sanderson is a writing machine. He does treat it like it's a job. And Yeah Martin doesn't and that's why I think we just don't get anything. Heck Stephen King also treats it more like a job. He cranks out a book every year. Then you also have writers like Rothfuss who wrote the entire third book of the kingkiller chronicle and decided.. naaah. And is starting it over from scratch, he's at 6 years now between the last one and the next one.

Some writers wait for the muse to hit them, others make the muse come to them by working at catching her.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wait, what. Tell me more about this Rothfuss.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

He has two big books part of a series called The Kingkiller Chronicles, First one is The Name of the Wind, the second is The Wise Man's Fear. First book came out in 2007, second in 2011. People really like the series but are angry he wont do more (See the GRRM thing except Rothfuss isn't as old, just slow). Keeps writing shorts. One of his shorts was edited GASP by GRRM. (Also a short was in an anthology with Sanderson)

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's clear that writers like Martin and Rothfuss are more interested in creating worlds than crafting a complete narrative. Tolkien was like that too. It's fine if that's what they want to do but it is a bummer to those who get into their series without the beforehand knowledge that this story may not actually have an ending. At least editor pressure (I believe) caused Tolkien to make Lord of the Rings a more contained story.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm cool with all of that but the idea of saying "nah mate I don't want any editor to release my knowledge of the ending post-humous" is just arrogance. Let us know what was gonna happen, even if it's just in a bunch of notes.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

It's a shame because I think the show (while still entertaining) has suffered since running out of book. It would have been great to have had the books completed before the show aired, or at least before it finished. Then they could have just tweaked and removed what was necessary to translate it to TV, which is what I understand they did in the earlier series.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I'm cool with all of that but the idea of saying "nah mate I don't want any editor to release my knowledge of the ending post-humous" is just arrogance. Let us know what was gonna happen, even if it's just in a bunch of notes.
    Well, it is his work so as long as he is alive he can say anything he wants about it. Thing is, dead men can't own copyrights. So it will be up to whoever he bequeaths that to.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Well, it is his work so as long as he is alive he can say anything he wants about it. Thing is, dead men can't own copyrights. So it will be up to whoever he bequeaths that to.
    Mostly likely his wife, who would also most likely respect his wishes.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I actually didn't even know he was married. And Martin's actually only 68, so he could conceivably be writing these things well into his 80s. He may finish it yet!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Saw this, laughed

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default [SPOILER THREAD] Game of Thrones leaked episode discussion - unmarked spoilers abound

EDIT: This thread can as of right now (uh... 4:27pm on 17th August UK time) contain unmarked Game of Thrones spoilers to your heart's desire

So apparently the next episode has already been leaked. I am so fed up with that crap. All it does is mean I have to spend a full week trying to avoid spoilers. How do leakers think this is helping the fans? It was going to be out anyway. Now all that happens is that people might spoil stuff for those who are opting to wait. Leak stuff that is otherwise never going to get released all you like, but leaking an episode early is just stupid and as far as I'm concerned helps nobody.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Apparently it was a mistake and HBO inadvertently broadcast it in Spain. You're right about spoilers though, and that's precisely why I'm going to watch the leak the second I get home. It makes no difference to me whether I watch it today or watch it at the proper time, so as far as I'm concerned I may as well do it today and then I don't have to worry about dodging spoilers. I know there's always the "But then I have to wait longer for the next episode" reason that some give, but that doesn't really bother me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Torrent downloads never seem as good quality as the TV shows no matter how many GB they are, at least for me. If HBO themselves leaked it, they should just air it early for everyone. But for me, I'm kinda hoping to delay until Monday because I want to watch it with Sarah, who won't be here until Saturday.

Also if I watch it early I'll just want to talk about it in the #got channel I frequent and I won't be able to