Page 503 of 528 FirstFirst ... 3403453483493497498499500501502503504505506507508509513523 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,545 of 7907

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    There's no proof any of the prophecies are valid anyway. Game of Thrones started out pretty low fantasy. Yes, it's strayed from that in the last couple seasons but it would be pretty fitting if the prophecies turned out to be wrong. Sure, most of Cersei's prophecy haa already come true, but what if the rest of it just doesn't? So what? There's no guarantee that prophecies have to be true.
    Prophecies are just glorified spoilers ^^

I generally agree with this and dislike when stories hinge around "that which has been foretold". People using prophecies for their own ends - great, I love it. Having said that, if you make a big deal about a prophecy and then it just doesn't happen, without any clear reason why, it doesn't feel like a clever red herring, it just feels lazy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm not totally convinced the battle with the dead is completely over. There's still time for trout to go down, and I really hope it does. If this is all we get, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

It's just sad, because I was SO smurfing hype for this episode, but I don't really care much about next week's episode. We'll see if they can bring it back for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Game of Thrones started out pretty low fantasy.
    Literally the first scene in both the books and the show is a group of the night's watch getting murdered by undead. I guess if you consider undead low fantasy

Anyway, considering the entire series had the vibe of "petty political stuff distracts most of mankind from the real threat", I'll just consider the remaining three episodes the epilogue, even though Cersei with her complete lack of foresight will end up killing more main characters than the undead army that had the patience to wait 8000 years but got annihilated in one night because Arya is undetectable out in the open, moments after being very detectable in a library.

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    Literally the first scene in both the books and the show is a group of the night's watch getting murdered by undead. I guess if you consider undead low fantasy

Anyway, considering the entire series had the vibe of "petty political stuff distracts most of mankind from the real threat", I'll just consider the remaining three episodes the epilogue, even though Cersei with her complete lack of foresight will end up killing more main characters than the undead army that had the patience to wait 8000 years but got annihilated in one night because Arya is undetectable out in the open, moments after being very detectable in a library.
    I've always thought of it as "irritating supernatural threat distracts important characters from the political intrigue"

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

I've always thought of it as "irritating supernatural threat distracts important characters from the political intrigue"
    Is it really that intriguing anymore when the big baddie just blows all of her opposition sky-high in an explosion that levels a large chunk of the city and all the remaining people are just "k, guess we'll follow her even though she just did that"?

Is it really that intriguing anymore when the big baddie just blows all of her opposition sky-high in an explosion that levels a large chunk of the city and all the remaining people are just "k, guess we'll follow her even though she just did that"?
    No, which is probably why I'm not all that excited about new Game of Thrones anymore

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Yes, we discovered in this episode, for the first time, she is capable of killing lots of wights on a battlefield.
    Except that one time she sparred with Brienne, one of the well established best fighters in the show, and looked like she was playing with her.

Playing. With one of the best fighters in the world. And pushing her harder in their little "sparring" match than most would in an actual 1 on 1 fight.

And then in this episode she fights some plentiful and tireless, but largely not that bright, corpses using a weapon she designed to suit her style of fighting perfectly. It is not a surprise that she could fight that well.

EDIT: And how in the smurf could I even forget that the girl was a tough fighter when she couldn't even smurfing see?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    I'll give this picture of the main cast a little scribbly each week.

All things considered, that was a surprisingly low body count (of major characters)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm going to rewatch here in a minute when my dinner arrives. I didn't cry last night, but I keep seeing pictures of Jorah as he's dying, and I think I'm going to get emotional now. I always really liked him.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Y'know, now I've had 10 minutes or so to digest and get over the spectacle of it all, that was actually a pretty disappointing conclusion to the undead arc.

I really hope the remaining episodes have some curve balls in them from beyond the wall and aren't just Cersei somehow outsmarting everyone (and probably killing more people than an undead army in the process) until her eventual demise, because unsatisfying wouldn't even begin to cover that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So I think the best way to look at Game Of Thrones now is through two lenses: The Show as spectacle and The Show as story.

The spectacle of The Long Night was magnificent. The entire sequence with the Dothraki gave me literal chills, seeing the lighting of the swords all along the line conjured up memories of the beacons being lit in Return of The King. Then seeing them snuffed out so quickly was chilling for entirely other reasons. Though there are many complaints I've seen about how hard it was to follow the action due to lack of light, I actually prefer this more realistic version as it puts the viewer in the actual POV of what conditions would be like. Things would be near impossible to see and when the dead swarm started, it was just chaos. Plus, the important things were certainly lit well enough. It's still head scratching about how they use Ghost and the dragons but that's a bit about the budget and also seems like a choice to pivot toward the humans rather than the fantasy.

I thought the show did a masterful job of giving us just enough of a check-in with various characters to keep us guessing who would die though it pulled its punches a bit, especially with all the characters in the courtyard who seemed to be on the brink for the entire episode only to survive. This either means the show is just getting a bit sentimental at its end OR it's a false lull before the rug gets pulled most likely in Episode 5, also directed by Miguel Sapochnik. I'm guessing that's the battle for King's Landing episode.

Having Arya ultimately defeat The Night's King was clearly meant to be a shock and it was for me. I had sort of figured she might do the deed, like most, when the "Blue eyes" got extra mention from Melisandre but I had definitely forgotten about her in that last moment, which was the point. Her story arc fit into the ending and was clearly also meant as a misdirect though how it ties into the lore of the show, that's left for a lot of debate.

Overall, what Game of Thrones continues to do better than any TV show I've ever seen is scale and epic spectacle. It pulls off set pieces better than most movies.

NOW, the story, that is where things are very tricky. I think clearly, as soon as Jon Snow came back, the internal logic of the show has been thrown off its axis. Suddenly, not all bad choices meant you suffered consequences forever and the ideas the show was playing with, from the time travel to the Night's King to the lord of light seemed to be put into hyperdrive because there was just so much to cover and only so many episodes left. It was around this point where I decided to really just enjoy the show moreso for its ability to tell its version of the story and not try to figure out how all the internal pieces should fit together. The reality is they won't unless GRRM completes the story himself in the books, which can dig deeper into the myths and legends and perhaps give us everything actually happening with Bran, the direwolves and all the other loose ends.

These last three episodes will be unpredictable, since it seems thats what the show is angling for now and hopefully it finds some grace notes along the way that stick with us. Ending any TV series is a really tough task, especially when you start with a tight blueprint and then are sort of riffing by the end. They have a finish line in sight, and while we'd prefer the slow grind of the world building we love, they now need to just sprint to get there.

It'll be about moments now. The Hound Versus The Mountain. The Lannisters Versus Each Other. Perhaps Dany Versus Jon. The moments might not all add up as we think they should, but they will be glorious to behold.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pretty surprised that people thought Arya killing the Night King was unexpected. I thought her and Jon were the two most likely candidates. As soon as Bran gave her the Valyrian steel dagger you knew it was gonna play a big part. Plus, her assassin training made her possibly a more likely candidate than Jon. As much as Jon got reasonably close, it was unlikely NK was gonna be killed by brute force/direct combat.

Despite other methods of ending NK, I also think it was always going to be Valyrian steel to strike the final blow. That narrows the group of potential killers considerably. Brienne has Oathbreaker, Sam gave Heartsbane to Jorah, Jon obviously has Longclaw and I think Jamie ended up with Joffrey's Widow's Wail, didn't he? They were all present at The Battle of Winterfell and there's a case for all of them... but I had Arya at the top of that small list with her skillset.

Edit: So only myself and one other guy here at work thought Arya would kill NK so I'm currently leading the GoT Death Pool

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Traveling in GoT explained

https://imgur.com/gallery/lL2Gyf0

Also I have no issues with Arya killing the Night King, I'm just more disappointed at how he died - and that him and the wights basically did nothing for the entire battle. Ok the Night King did some rather questionable things tactics wise, but the wights just seemed to be there to be his parade procession. After all these years of them being made it to be the big "threat" the way in which their leader was felled felt rather anti-climatic (I guess) to me. /shrug