Page 520 of 528 FirstFirst ... 20420470500510514515516517518519520521522523524525526 ... LastLast
Results 7,786 to 7,800 of 7907

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Nah, we see Euron through Asha, Victarion and now Aeron. Aeron's sample Winds chapter is horrible. And yes, that's exactly what Victarion is and I love him for it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh. Hey. Brother raped my wife. Let's kill her, the dumb bitch!

I know the fact that it's heavily implied that Euron repeatedly raped Aeron as a kid makes him scary to me. But like I said--I remember little else about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Psy, why have we never discussed Tyrion, the time-traveling fetus? (I am reminded of this because I just got to the chapter where Daenerys tries to give Viserys clothes and [at least to the reader] feels the baby move for the first time.)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also, I'm reminded of how much I actually really like book Daenerys a lot. I'd say based on the POV from the first book, she's the most miscast. I understand why they aged up all of the characters, but I think her innocence and sweetness was lost in translation when they (rightfully, by the way) chose to go with a young woman instead of a girl barely in her teens. I'm interested to see how she and Sansa interract in the books, since they're only a couple of years apart in age, instead of several. I still hold Clare Bowen would have been the best Daenerys, disregarding age. There's a real vulnerability in here that Emilia Clarke lacked, even in season 1, which is hands down her best season. Only s7 EC/Dany is comparably as good.

I hate to say it, but Peter Dinklage was the second worst miscast. I understand that there aren't many working actors with dwarfism, and he's AMAZING. Not hating him at all. Obviously book Tyrion is far uglier and much more monstrous looking (let's be real--even in the show Tyrion is called handsome on at least one occasion by Margaery, and I think again later too). And it's my understand GRRM is really unhappy now with how he portrayed Tyrion's appearance. But it's really not that. Peter Dinklage is just too smurfing sympathetic. You're supposed to like book!Tyrion, but also understand that, even early on, there's a hint of something not very nice in him (see: him getting extremely angry that Catelyn outsmarted him, simply because it hurt his pride, not because it put him in danger).

Sean Bean was the perfect Ned.
    Michelle Fairley is not my favorite casting choice, but I think she did a really good job. I just think there were probably better choices for Catelyn.
    Sophie Turner was a solid choice for early season Sansa.
    Maisie Turner was a solid choice for Arya.
    Isaac Hempstead-Wright was the perfect choice for early season Bran.
    Kit Harrington was chosen for looks, but is an acceptable choice.

Anyways, this whole post is basically getting to the point that the actors who I see while reading are Robert, Viserys, Varys, Drogo, Hodor, Lewin. Most of the main characters actors I don't really see. So rereading the books feels completely different (not just because of story differences) and it's actually very enjoyable because of that. Especially in cases where I didn't care for the actors (see: Emilia Clarke, sort of Kit Harrington).

tl;dr book!Dany is such a great smurfing character

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Psy, why have we never discussed Tyrion, the time-traveling fetus? (I am reminded of this because I just got to the chapter where Daenerys tries to give Viserys clothes and [at least to the reader] feels the baby move for the first time.)
    the what now? is rhaego tyrion?

Also, I'm reminded of how much I actually really like book Daenerys a lot. I'd say based on the POV from the first book, she's the most miscast. I understand why they aged up all of the characters, but I think her innocence and sweetness was lost in translation when they (rightfully, by the way) chose to go with a young woman instead of a girl barely in her teens. I'm interested to see how she and Sansa interract in the books, since they're only a couple of years apart in age, instead of several. I still hold Clare Bowen would have been the best Daenerys, disregarding age. There's a real vulnerability in here that Emilia Clarke lacked, even in season 1, which is hands down her best season. Only s7 EC/Dany is comparably as good.
    You're right, there's definitely an innocent dreamer of a little girl at the start. It's almost a coming-of-age story as she learns about and adapts to the Dothraki culture, the caged bird (sorry Sansa) finally able to spread its wings for the first time. And then she's confronted with the brutal reality of what the Dothraki actually are and what the relative luxury she is continuing to live in actually means for people.

I agree that I don't really get that from Emilia Clarke's Daenerys but then I'm being unfair because I'd need to rewatch season 1. In my head I just hear her stern angry voice whenever I picture her.
    I hate to say it, but Peter Dinklage was the second worst miscast. I understand that there aren't many working actors with dwarfism, and he's AMAZING. Not hating him at all. Obviously book Tyrion is far uglier and much more monstrous looking (let's be real--even in the show Tyrion is called handsome on at least one occasion by Margaery, and I think again later too). And it's my understand GRRM is really unhappy now with how he portrayed Tyrion's appearance. But it's really not that. Peter Dinklage is just too smurfing sympathetic. You're supposed to like book!Tyrion, but also understand that, even early on, there's a hint of something not very nice in him (see: him getting extremely angry that Catelyn outsmarted him, simply because it hurt his pride, not because it put him in danger).
    My only real issue with Dinklage was the awful accent he attempted! The softer, more sympathetic Tyrion was the work of the writers, presumably because he was a fan favourite and the writers love to pander to the fans. That and you can't really cut his nose off.

I don't quite agree with your assessment of early Tyrion. He comes across as being a kind and carefree fellow who just wants to be loved and empathises with cripples, bastards and broken things. His support (through truth as much as anything) to Jon, going out of his way to help Bran when he knew he'd receive less than a warm welcome at Winterfell and when he saved Catelyn from the clansmen all show a real kindness and empathy. His one flaw is his desire for retribution and vengeance on anyone who slights him.

It's easy to overlook that - for the time being - which is kind of the point. Don't we all support his desire to turn the Vale of Arryn into a smoking ruin after his false imprisonment and horrible treatment, both in the terrifying mindsmurf that is the Sky Cells - side note, I had forgotten how horrible they sound! ugh - and being brutally beaten by a man three times the size of him? The one little dark touch is when he sees the fate of Masha Heddle and clearly feels she deserves it when she actually had nothing whatsoever to do with Catelyn capturing him.

From memory, though, he is a vile and hateful person in ADWD and that vengeful streak is dialed up to 11. I guess it's like the Viserys journey that we never got to go on and again it's another tragedy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Was really hoping to get the 'All Lucky Sevens!' post in this thread but Jinx beat me to it...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Oh, boy. Do I have a theory for you. https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comm...reseen_theory/

tyrion
    I said a hint of something not as nice, but I still stand by saying that book!Tyrion isn't nearly as warm and kind as Peter Dinklage's portrayal (which is interesting, because everything I've read about him from everyone is that he's a total smurfing asshole irl). The book paints more of a portrait of him as something closer to Littlefinger. He's cunning, not just clever, and his triumphs don't feel like "Aha!" of a hero with his hands on his hips and his chest out, and more like a smirk and rubbing his hands together.

But, again, I'd say he's one of my favorite book characters (or is at least right now in early days). I'd say first book chapters Tyrion > Dany > Catelyn = Arya > Sansa > Jon.

Articles

Oh, boy. Do I have a theory for you. https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comm...reseen_theory/
    Majestic.

Maybe her HotU vision of Rhaego being a silver haired lord in front of a burning city was meant to be Tyrion at the Blackwater.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Majestic.

Maybe her HotU vision of Rhaego being a silver haired lord in front of a burning city was meant to be Tyrion at the Blackwater.
    Could be! Also, ties into your theory that Tyrion and Dany go Fire and Blood all over everyone's asses. Eh, eh?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't know if you read fan-fiction, but apparently this one writes a definitive ending for the series, and is said to be super good. I'm planning on giving it a try once I finish the published series again.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/33...hapters/543997

Articles

I read about a quarter of it once and it didn't really do it for me, sorry. Adding a dozen more POVs to an already POV heavy story wasn't great (though I like Jeyne and Edmure having them) and the author had too much of a weird Mary Sue fixation with Val.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

How so?

And oof, yeah, adding more POVs is unnecessary. That said, if they had fun doing it, I'm glad. smurf, they actually wrote a story, which is more than what our favorite fat boat captain is doing.

Articles

Val becomes Ygritte 2.0: Electric Boogaloo basically. And yeah smurfing respect to the author for making it. Boat captain is hard at work, I just think he was nearly done but the trout hit the fan in 2015, he lost his mind and he's had to rewrite the whole thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think he's getting closer to done, what with the "if I don't have it done by June 2020, lock me in a volcano". Or at least, it sounds like he's got some hitch in his giddyup. The running theory is that he's probably unhappy with the show and doesn't want his opus to only have that ending.

Articles

https://warsandpoliticsoficeandfire....nter-resource/ this is a pretty good indicator of how the writing has been going.