Page 33 of 528 FirstFirst ... 132327282930313233343536373839435383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    You're right, I really don't. I thought he was just being a tit. Explain!

What she said.

Although I guess he means that a strategy is something well thought out and planned, and a tactic is just a ploy?

Mayhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Strategy is overall plan, a tactic is just one move. I BELIEVE.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If someone can provide a roundly accepted definition of these things you'll be a very popular strategist indeed. In essence, a tactic is something that takes place within the confines of a battle - a charge at this point in the battle, sneaking a company behind enemy lines to disrupt communications, or the use of book spoilerBronn firewater to smurf up Stannis "They will bend the knee or I will destroy them" Baratheon's fleet. A strategy is a much broader thing that has a much more direct link with the war effort as a whole - to bring the enemy to battle at a particular place, to decide to use the fleet or stay in King's Landing in the first place, or episode 4 spoilerto have Shadowbabby assassinate Renly "The Beast" Baratheon. So scale can be a useful indicator, but I suppose the most obvious quick, if a bit rough, way to tell is does this move affect a battle or the whole war. Of course, a battle can deeply influence the outcome of a war, so you begin to see the problem!

(We also have much literature that suggests that there is a third stage in between these two, the Operational level, and a fourth stage at the top, Grand Strategy. The former is widely accepted, the latter not so much but still fairly solidly.)

Back on the topic, I smurfing love how Pree used his parlor trick to smurf up the Thirteen like a totally creepy boss.

Strategy is the overall planning of an operation, tactics is what you decided to do to get the strategy working.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope.

Yep.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

BLACK WATER EEEEEEE

This recent episode was boring. Dany needs to just go do something already. I did enjoy the Jamie/Brienne scene though

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    This recent episode was boring.
    No! Tyrion was being a stand up beast. Bronn was a beast in the scene he was in. Arya tellin' Jaqen was beastin'. Davos Seaworth? You better believe he was a beast. Robb facing up to Kingdom and boning some bint? How beastoriffic. Theon being learned by Asha was beastin' and you better believe Joffrey's threat to Uncle Stannis was the most beastastic thing you'll ever see on TV this year.

also tyrion. Counting him twice.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Lol, Paul, you're kind of a dork.

Agreed with Freya that Dany needs to shut up and do something already. She has like, two who lines in this show. "Get my dragons back!" and "THEY ARE MY CHILDREN!" and variants etc etc.

Dude, Jaqen is hot.

Also lol at Robb/Jeyne sex scene where she kept her boots on.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    This recent episode was boring.
    No! Tyrion was being a stand up beast. Bronn was a beast in the scene he was in. Arya tellin' Jaqen was beastin'. Davos Seaworth? You better believe he was a beast. Robb facing up to Kingdom and boning some bint? How beastoriffic. Theon being learned by Asha was beastin' and you better believe Joffrey's threat to Uncle Stannis was the most beastastic thing you'll ever see on TV this year.

also tyrion. Counting him twice.
    I agree, this was a cool episode. The Bronn/Tyrion exchange was funny. It was like watching an old married couple bickering. I liked the Davos-Stannis exchange too.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I agree that the Dany parts have grown stale (though she was only shown for a minute or so in the latest episode to whine a bit), but it's not like there's a whole lot to work with in the books.

I gotta give the show credit for making Robb more interesting. It's hard to believe such good children came from such a monumentally stupid bitch.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I disagree. I think the House of the Undying is one of the most interesting parts of Storm of Swords. Since there are only two episodes left, and next episode seems to mostly focus on Blackwater, I don't see that coming into play.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Too much setup!

Also I was super bored when Robb's doctor lady told her story about how you should always learn CPR. They do that a lot in this show; having two characters sitting together while one tells some boring story. Less talk, more action please. I was about to cringe when the preview for next week came on...WAR...IS...and if it said 'COMING' then I was going to throw my remote at the TV, but fortunately it said 'HERE' so hopefully we get the action it's been building up to for 8 episodes.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Too much setup!

Also I was super bored when Robb's doctor lady told her story about how you should always learn CPR. They do that a lot in this show; having two characters sitting together while one tells some boring story. Less talk, more action please. I was about to cringe when the preview for next week came on...WAR...IS...and if it said 'COMING' then I was going to throw my remote at the TV, but fortunately it said 'HERE' so hopefully we get the action it's been building up to for 8 episodes.
    She kept going on with her story, and Pontus asked me, "Why is she telling this again?"