Page 65 of 528 FirstFirst ... 154555596061626364656667686970717585115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Okay, so I just finished season two. Gimme more.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Do you guys think anything in season 3 has the capacity to top Blackwater? In addition to being an incredible hour of television, I think it highlighted the show's biggest weakness--the way it jumps around from character to character really makes it difficult to tell a satisfying story arc within an episode. Most shows have an A plotline and a B plotline--maybe a C plotline--but for Game of Thrones it's probably at least four per normal episode. Blackwater's focus was so perfectly paced and gripping by comparison, and the finale was such a mess trying to wrap everything up after it.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    georger.r.martin-asongoficeandfire.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Do you guys think anything in season 3 has the capacity to top Blackwater? In addition to being an incredible hour of television, I think it highlighted the show's biggest weakness--the way it jumps around from character to character really makes it difficult to tell a satisfying story arc within an episode. Most shows have an A plotline and a B plotline--maybe a C plotline--but for Game of Thrones it's probably at least four per normal episode. Blackwater's focus was so perfectly paced and gripping by comparison, and the finale was such a mess trying to wrap everything up after it.
    Absolutely. Storm of Swords has the capacity to be two of the best seasons of television ever and has a wealth of entertaining and engaging plots to choose from. Furthermore, the entire reason the series was created was to get to a single scene in Storm of Swords. The entire goal of Beinoff and Weiss when they adapted the series was to get to season three.

Regarding the lack of the "plot A, plot B" that most series go by, I would argue that Game of Thrones goes by the same method, albeit in a less direct way. The story lines in Westeros could be seen as plot A, Dany's story is plot B, and perhaps the story Beyond the Wall would be plot C. I do not really think that the large cast is holding the series back in any way other than some people want more focus on individual characters and areas rather than the jumping around that is required for the show. I think that plagues viewers more than readers though, as the readers tend to have more experience with the characters and know how the story is going to flesh out moreso, so they are more forgiving because they know the larger plot.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Do you guys think anything in season 3 has the capacity to top Blackwater?
    Knowing what's going to happen this season, absolutely. But even so, a lot of my favorite things from the show don't come from tight-knit episodes, it's scenes with good acting and emotion, like Robert's conversation with Cersei in season 1 or watching Alfie Allen bring Theon's descent to life in season 2.

Other HBO shows like The Wire and The Sopranos handled arguably more plot threads than Game of Thrones and were able to get better at it as time went on. I'm sure the show will do the same. They have to, or else the plot will implode on itself once the other character groups in A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons are brought in.

If you're asking if there will be an episode that rivals the success that Blackwater formula, most definitely. That episode handled it the same way the book did - switching the perspectives from Sansa to Tyrion to Davos and back again. There's a few other segments like that which will probably be encapsuled in an episode, one of which from the upcoming book that George is reading right now at panels.

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    BOOKS!

Seriously, even with the daunting number of pages, reading will go by quickly. You get absorbed.

Do you guys think anything in season 3 has the capacity to top Blackwater?
    Oh, you sweet summer child...

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Status update: I'm now rather deep into Season Two. I've watched Episode Four now, and very surprised by that Shadow creature birthed by the Red Priestess. Quite surprising, though I can piece together what's going to happen next...

Loving the second season so far, particularly the animosity between Yara and Theon. Despite being siblings, I enjoy the obvious ill feeling of each other.

I've lost abit of favour with The Wall segments. The whole segment at Caster's keep is slightly boring if you ask me. It's clear that the focus isn't on them, at least during the episodes I've watched. So far, Dany's storyline is also on a bit of a backburner too. I'm sure they will be refocused during the second half of the season.

Still, enjoying it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dany's storyline never recovers.

Also, Azar--

If this season and next season aren't the two best seasons, then the screenwriters/actors completely butchered the amazing source material they had to work with. You think Blackwater was good? You ain't seen nothin' yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Overall or in the show?

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post

Also, Azar--

If this season and next season aren't the two best seasons, then the screenwriters/actors completely butchered the amazing source material they had to work with. You think Blackwater was good? You ain't seen nothin' yet.
    I've read read all the books. I don't think the Blackwater is the pinnacle of the story, but it is far and away the best episode of the tv adaptation up to this point. I honestly think it's one of the best episodes of any TV series I've ever seen, period, up there with The Body from Buffy, The Constant from Lost, Deadwood or Rome at their best, etc. and I don't think any other episodes in season 1 or season 2 of GoT come close to that honor because, again, a lot of them don't work that well as standalone episodes.

There's a lot going into making Blackwater so good. Lena Headey really nailing Cersei, which she hadn't really done through a lot of the series. Peter Dinklage being amazing. The Hound coming forward as a deeper character than we get to see up to that point. Neil Marshall directing the episode. It's really, really well shot, the localized story gives scenes more time to play out and build up tension, and I dunno, someone's probably written an essay about all the ways that episode kinda dongs on the rest of the show.

I feel like (SPOILER)the Red Wedding is the only part of this season they could give similar treatment, and even then sticking on that one storyline for an hour might be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Regarding the lack of the "plot A, plot B" that most series go by, I would argue that Game of Thrones goes by the same method, albeit in a less direct way. The story lines in Westeros could be seen as plot A, Dany's story is plot B, and perhaps the story Beyond the Wall would be plot C. I do not really think that the large cast is holding the series back in any way other than some people want more focus on individual characters and areas rather than the jumping around that is required for the show. I think that plagues viewers more than readers though, as the readers tend to have more experience with the characters and know how the story is going to flesh out moreso, so they are more forgiving because they know the larger plot.
    Yeah, it's the same kind of structure--there's just too much crammed into any given episode for major developments in any story, a lot of the time. And that's okay to an extent--it's expected to be a heavily serialized show, but other shots like Lost did a better job within that formula of still telling really satisfied contained stories with every episode. Honestly, I think Game of Thrones would be better suited to the House of Cards release format than a week-to-week schedule.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Overall or in the show?
    Overall, book and show. I find her story dull, and it's only made worse by a terribly boring and idiotic character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I forget if it was me and Ouch debating this, but she should be acting pretty deft in quite a few exciting situations this season.

Azar, that's one, I also think there's at least two more from this book, namely (SPOILER)the Purple Wedding and the Battle at the Wall (since Sam and Bran things happen at around the same time at the Wall). Granted, they'll both probably be at the end of next season, but I see the latter of the two having a similar Blackwater treatment, especially since they're showing things from Stannis and Melisandre's perspectives.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm on a similar page as Sam. I like Dany well enough, but her story is somewhat monotonous. My enjoyment comes from the anticipation of what I know will be happening - or at least what I predict will probably be happening - but I've grown a little tired of all the times he's cried wolf.

(SPOILER)bran's plot - didn't see enough of the show to say, prolly way better (sometimes FAR too rushed)

but would you guys concur bran's story REALLY lagged in like, books 2 and so on?

finally he's off to the wall (minor spoiler) but

why is it so protracted, the 3 eyed bird and the flying and jojen reed and meera (is something going to -happen- there?)

finally when the iron maidens or whatever showed up in their skiff militia tried to take over and roose was like 'no way!' at least the whelp (young maiden) tried to help

it's not helping i'm so on-again-off-again with this series.

we need bob ross to appear as Syrio Forel

at least i remembered HIS name, not even a huge character!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Vincent, this thread is about Season 3 of Game of Thrones. Anything that happens after Season 2 in the books (which means anything after Clash of Kings basically) should be put in spoiler tags, including speculation that involves knowledge of the later books. Please respect those who do not wish to read this information before seeing it happen on the show.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum