Page 5 of 528 FirstFirst 1234567891011152555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I don't like how they changed the introduction of the Others and the death of Ser Waymar Royce. I think it's much more frightening for Will to see Royce fight off the Others and get his sword shattered. The others look nothing like described in the book.
    I can give you the changes to the opening being largely unnecessary. I don't know why Will had to survive instead of Gared, aside from Will having more better crazed, I-just-watched-people-die-from-mythical beings look. However, I don't get the complaint about The Others. They didn't look as they were dsecribed in the books? Tall, gaunt, humanoids with bulky armor? Did we watch different episodes?
    We must have, that guy wouldn't have looked out of place at the gym; he was a pretty muscular. Also, he was wearing hardly any armor, he looked like he wearing a loincloth and not much else.

I'll grab a screenshot later.

And the stuff about Viserys, unless you think marriage has always been about love then Dany's marriage to Drago is pretty much business as usual for that type of setting. Women were pretty much property in the the times that the books are modeled after, I hardly think that's some of his more dickish actions. I think the straight cruelty and abuse and the general holier-than-thou attitude is what really makes him a dick.

And the stuff about Viserys, unless you think marriage has always been about love then Dany's marriage to Drago is pretty much business as usual for that type of setting. Women were pretty much property in the the times that the books are modeled after, I hardly think that's some of his more dickish actions. I think the straight cruelty and abuse and the general holier-than-thou attitude is what really makes him a dick.
    Are we being condescending now? I know about the history of marriage, you don't need to explain it to me as if I'm a child. It also has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Viserys is enough of a monster. You have the pleasure of having read the books prior to viewing the show. That means that you are privy to the thoughts and feelings of characters through innner monologues and the point-of-view that the chapters are written from. Television shows cannot provide either of those with any degree of success or substance and so the stories need to be told in another way.

Your real complaint about Viserys is that he does not match your personal expectations, what you felt he should be and how he should be portrayed. He is selling his sister into sexual slavery, to a man she has never met and knows absolutely nothing about. He goes on to tell his sister, to her face and without any hint of joking, that he would let her be raped by 40,000 men and horses if it would give him what he wants. How exactly can that be considered "likable"?

We must have, that guy wouldn't have looked out of place at the gym; he was a pretty muscular. Also, he was wearing hardly any armor, he looked like he wearing a loincloth and not much else.
    Rewatching the scene where Gared is beheaded, the four Others that I could make out clearly look like they could either be completely unarmored aside from a loincloth or they could be wearing tight-fitting armor of different color. Since the shots are pretty quick and fairly dark, it's hard to tell exactly which it is without assuming one way or another. Regardless of the armor factor though, I think the Others looked pretty good in comparison to the book descriptions.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Thanks for the pic, Bunny. I probably never would have seen that otherwise.

The first episode was done well but it was so boring. Not much entertainment going on. But the end definitely made me gasp. Hopefully it'll get more exciting.

Blog Entries

I'll give you that one about Viserys.

But I still think it looks like the Others are unarmored and rather big.

At least the sword does look different.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

AND BADASS! Stop complaining you nitpicking nagging ninny!

Blog Entries

Quiet, men are talking.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Is there any place that someone can watch the entire first episode online without having to go to shady sites or download it, I wonder?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

The only place that I know if is HBO Go (since they don't have an exclusive deal with Hulu or any other streaming sites that I know of). The problem with Go is that you have to have HBO already, which makes it somewhat useless.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Oh, no, that will work for me since I have HBO. Thanks!
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Well then you should be watching it on Sundays to help it get better ratings and whatnot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Well then you should be watching it on Sundays to help it get better ratings and whatnot.
    He asked about the first episode, broheim. He can still watch it on Sundays on HBO.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I doubt it's going to be the same in the USA but in the UK if you're a sky subscriber you can watch it in HD on the Sky Player since the show is being aired on Sky Atlantic (we haven't actually got a HBO channel in the UK)

Blog Entries

If you have Comcast and HBO, you can watch it on Demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    I doubt it's going to be the same in the USA but in the UK if you're a sky subscriber you can watch it in HD on the Sky Player since the show is being aired on Sky Atlantic (we haven't actually got a HBO channel in the UK)
    Did you manage to catch the interview between Joe Abercrombie and GRRM that went on before the airing on Sunday? I want to see it but I can't seem to find it anywhere, only information on it taking place.