Page 394 of 528 FirstFirst ... 294344374384388389390391392393394395396397398399400404414444494 ... LastLast
Results 5,896 to 5,910 of 7907

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

With the White Walkers I just want to see what their deal is. Following on from our LotR references, here's a GRRM quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by George RR Martin
    I admire Tolkien greatly. His books had enormous influence on me. And the trope that he sort of established—the idea of the Dark Lord and his Evil Minions—in the hands of lesser writers over the years and decades has not served the genre well. It has been beaten to death. The battle of good and evil is a great subject for any book and certainly for a fantasy book, but I think ultimately the battle between good and evil is weighed within the individual human heart and not necessarily between an army of people dressed in white and an army of people dressed in black. When I look at the world, I see that most real living breathing human beings are grey.
    So far the White Walkers - admittedly not living breathing human beings! - have been following the exact trope that he is denouncing with this quote. I really hope that he practices what he preaches and there's more nuance to them than simply being grumpy ice zombies.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    the tree they were chilling and watching movies in.
    To be honest, that seems to be pretty much what Bran's stint in the tree amounted to, so far. Yes, he learned about the White Walkers being weapons created by the Children, but they could have just TOLD him that. However, I'm sure that his looking into the past thing will offer some important insight soon.
    And Gandalf could have just flown Frodo to Mt Doom.
    The snark is strong in this one. I'm only pointing out that, so far, Bran has learned nothing of importance which he couldn't have learned by people just communicating with him using their mouth-words.
    The purpose of Bran in the weirwood was specifically to show us that he can influence the past with help of the Three-Eyed Raven. There is no way he could have done that on his own anywhere else or even just speaking with the children of the forest; the location and person involved was specifically pertinent to this revelation.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    The purpose of Bran in the weirwood was specifically to show us that he can influence the past with help of the Three-Eyed Raven.
    And look where it got them

I've only just noticed that out of all of Bran's travelling companions, only Meera is left standing.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    With the White Walkers I just want to see what their deal is. Following on from our LotR references, here's a GRRM quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by George RR Martin
    I admire Tolkien greatly. His books had enormous influence on me. And the trope that he sort of established—the idea of the Dark Lord and his Evil Minions—in the hands of lesser writers over the years and decades has not served the genre well. It has been beaten to death. The battle of good and evil is a great subject for any book and certainly for a fantasy book, but I think ultimately the battle between good and evil is weighed within the individual human heart and not necessarily between an army of people dressed in white and an army of people dressed in black. When I look at the world, I see that most real living breathing human beings are grey.
    So far the White Walkers - admittedly not living breathing human beings! - have been following the exact trope that he is denouncing with this quote. I really hope that he practices what he preaches and there's more nuance to them than simply being grumpy ice zombies.
    Very interesting. At this point it is hard to tell what is GRRM and what is GoT showrunners but it would certainly be refreshing if the book version of White Walkers are not just another version of 'ultimate evil'.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

To be fair, I've often wondered "Why not just let the White Walkers win? Would there be any real downside?" I mean, essentially everyone would then become immortal, right, and the war would be over? They don't seem to have to eat to survive, they don't mind the cold... so resource wars would be less of a thing. Seems pretty win-win. But then, I never see them smile, so I can only assume that they just aren't very happy people, and something must be causing that. I haven't seen the White Walkers mistreat each other in any way though!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

maybe they're just not very extroverted and keep their smiles inside themselves
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    To be fair, I've often wondered "Why not just let the White Walkers win? Would there be any real downside?" I mean, essentially everyone would then become immortal, right, and the war would be over? They don't seem to have to eat to survive, they don't mind the cold... so resource wars would be less of a thing. Seems pretty win-win. But then, I never see them smile, so I can only assume that they just aren't very happy people, and something must be causing that. I haven't seen the White Walkers mistreat each other in any way though!
    You're advocating everyone becoming flesh-eating zombies?!

Articles
    Blog Entries

If everyone became flesh-eating zombies, then there'd be no-one to voice opinions like yours, Mr. Carny!

I imagine the white walkers must do something in their spare time. Maybe they build snowmen and igloos together!

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    If everyone became flesh-eating zombies, then there'd be no-one to voice opinions like yours, Mr. Carny!

I imagine the white walkers must do something in their spare time. Maybe they build snowmen and igloos together!
    That sounds like fun. Okay, I'm sold. Rooting for the white walkers now.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I mean they do questionable things with babies, but aye!

Blog Entries

Articles
    Blog Entries

Are you trying to make me cry, Shai?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Are you trying to make me cry, Shai?
    yes, let the feels flow through you ;_;

Last edited by Shaibana; 05-26-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Blog Entries