Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lord of the Instant Martial Training?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Uruk = Orc, hai = people or folk.

Sauron bred the original Uruk-hai. The ones that attacked at Amon Hen were of Saruman's special breeding. It's said in the books that he bred men and Orcs but he also added some resistances and abilities so maybe there was some magic involved. Saruman had a bunch of different crossbreeds running around.

The Silmarillion goes into detail about how Orcs used to be Elves. I won't go into a lot of detail but basically they were tortured and disfigured until they were made into the Orcs we see now. They still breed the same way, so why is it such an impossible or disgusting thought that the Uruk-hai could come about as a hybrid?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian XIII View Post
    They still breed the same way, so why is it such an impossible or disgusting thought that the Uruk-hai could come about as a hybrid?
    Because they are ugly looking and sweaty/greasy/whatever. It's not sanitary dude. Plus, all that metal armour and .

I do need to find The Silmarillion. There's too much information I don't have

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ugly, sweaty, greasy guys get chicks all the time in everyday life. See: Julian.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Uruk = Orc, hai = people or folk.

Sauron bred the original Uruk-hai. The ones that attacked at Amon Hen were of Saruman's special breeding. It's said in the books that he bred men and Orcs but he also added some resistances and abilities so maybe there was some magic involved. Saruman had a bunch of different crossbreeds running around.

The Silmarillion goes into detail about how Orcs used to be Elves. I won't go into a lot of detail but basically they were tortured and disfigured until they were made into the Orcs we see now.
    evolution does not work like that
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It does when it's fiction, bro.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

for the love of god

If we're going by movie canon, Uruk-Hai are a cross between Orcs and Goblin-Men, okay? Not Orcs and Men, and not Orcs and Goblins. I don't even get how you can breed an Orc and a Goblin to get a different creature anyway seeing as how they are exactly the same thing Although I think in movie canon the smaller crawling creatures that attacked in Moria are Goblins, compared to the larger Orcs of Mordor, which I like Sort of like poodles and german shepherds - same species, different breeds. And I think in Tolkien, that is what Uruk-Hai are: A different breed of Orc. It's speculated that they might have a bit of Man in them but there's already plenty of Orc-Men running about and I'm pretty sure they're never portrayed as über-Orcs. From memory, a bunch of them hang out in Bree and come to smurf the Shire's up in the Scouring. It's sort of like how there's three different breeds of Hobbit, and how the men of Gondor are different from the men of Rohan who are different from the men of Harad. And the ten billion species of Elves. Tolkien was big on that sort of thing.

I had hoped to stay out of this, to keep my non-nerdery in tact. I hate you all.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh, we're going by movie canon? Yeah, Saruman even says they're of Orcs and Goblin Men.

Are you referring to the Orc-Men as not being uber Orcs, or the Uruk-hai? I was under the impression that that was what the Uruk-hai were, roided-up Orcs basically. That's how they're portrayed in the books. Even the ones in Mordor look down on Orcs because they're little wimps compared to them.

Also, I was wondering why you hadn't posted yet. You're the biggest Tolkien fan I know. You can't run away from your nerddom!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah I meant Orc-Men clearly aren't über-Orcs as all they do is act like common thugs in the likes of Bree and the Shire. Oooooh! FRIGHTENING! Whereas the Uruk-Hai are, well, yeah. Orcs on 'roids.

My Tolkien nerdom kind of faded over the past couple of years tbh. LotR Conquest was to me what TFU2 was to you And I miss Tavrobel.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh my! TFU2 was an immeasurable amount of bull. Conquest has been on my list, too... I must rethink this list of mine.

Oh man, this may be the only time I'd admit that I miss him too. This is the only subject I'd be happy that he insulted my intelligence in because it's actually an interesting subject.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I read The Hobbit before LotR and I was wondering throughout what goblins really were. Then I read LotR and there were no goblins at all! So I looked it up and yeah I guess they're the same so I was like well why didn't he just say so. But I like Psy's interpretation better.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ugly, sweaty, greasy guys get chicks all the time in everyday life. See: Julian.
    And I just smurfing repped you.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

according to gandalf in the hobbit there are: goblins, hobgoblins, and orcs of the worst description.
    also, apparently goblins can grow to well over the height of a man, with giant goblins such as bolg.
    in the new hobbit movie, lenord nimoy plays smaug
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen