Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default No worlds left to conquer

I recently came back to FFXI after a 3 month break. I got BLU 90 in one night and then spammed the quest to get AF3 legs+1. Found a pick up group to do Blood of Heroes for the Iron Rams storyline, and then was able to solo the final two missions. And, finally, last week I beat Wings of the Goddess. That was a significant moment for me, because I waited 2 years to finish that damn expansion. It also was the very last storyline mission in this game that I had not completed.

So what's next?

Really, I don't know. I have yet to beat all the Abyssea bosses to reach Shinryu (5/9 and 3/6), so that's something to work for. I only have BLU head and legs AF3+1 gear so there's some others I can go for. But I find it hard to see the point of hoarding all this gear when there are no more missions left to do.

I've always been very storyline-oriented in my time on FFXI. Questing has always been my favorite thing. With no plans for any more expansions, it may be time for me to finally hang it up.

So this is for all the people who quit FFXI out there. What made you finally decide to retire from Vana'diel? How did you go out? Where did you lay your character to rest?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Default Jumping the gun...

You say that there are no plans for further expansions, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. While I think a full blown expansion to the same degree of Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urhgan, and Wings of the Goddess is unlikely, I would not say impossible.

The level cap will still expand to 99, and that would mean that they need to add additional content for those levels. Given that Abyssea has ended, I would not be surprised to see some new types of endgame (my guess would be a more traditional event to balance with Abyssea content) which usually includes some degree of storyline. I imagine they'll start talking about this kind of thing relatively soon.

That said, I quit mostly because most of my friends were no longer playing and due to some drama in my linkshell and also in anticipation for FFXIV (which I still do not play). In retrospect, I regret quitting because I was still having fun. That said, I've been very busy with school, other activities, and hanging out with my friends since I quit. I really only miss it on the few weekends when I don't have any other plans. It was a nice thing to have to fill the time.

I think I logged off in my moghouse. I know I kept everything on the off chance that I decided to come back, but I'm doubting that it will happen at this point. I've flirted around the idea of rejoining just to see what it's all like now. The more I read about it, the more convinced I am that it would not be difficult to catch up on what I've missed. All that said, at this point if I start up an MMORPG, it seems it will more likely be FFXIV after I graduate. Right now, I don't really have the time for it. Once I graduate in May and no longer have student organizations and such every week night, I imagine it'll be more appealing.

My character sits in his mog house. I got sick of linkshell drama, and really had no time to commit to the game anymore.

One thing I really loved about the game was the storylines. They should really develop and explore Vana'diel more through spin-off games, like they do with Ivalice. They could keep things fresh via different interpretations of the world.

I just personally don't have hours upon hours to sit in front of the computer outside of work to experience something as large as an MMO any more.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Isn't it funny how much drama can accumulate in a linkshell? I think that's one of my biggest turn offs in the game.

I renewed my content id yesterday because my linkshell wanted me back. I update and all that jazz, just to find out the rest of them decided to take a break as well.

So...I sit in my moghouse all day watching my moogle spin. These days, it's all about abyssea. What I really miss are epic storylines like Chains. That will always remain my favorite expansion in the entire game. But it could just be that I gelled well with our static. The guys were hilarious and made it a million times better

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I loved LS drama. It amused me.

I only thought it was amusing when I wasn't a part of it lol. If I was just a fly on the wall, it was absolutely hilarious.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I was never part of it because I generally don't give a smurf about stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I wasn't a long-term member, personally, but a few people I levelled with stopped coming online. The biggest reason, though, was how long it would take to do anything once I reached a certain level. At that point, it became very time consuming with little reward for my efforts, and since I liked to do things at a more casual pace, I often couldn't keep up.

Also, Football Manager.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I quit when I reached level 34 and got to where the Mandragoras are and no one would let me join their party anymore.
    I like Kung-Fu.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Maybe you were a party pooper?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I quit when I reached level 34 and got to where the Mandragoras are and no one would let me join their party anymore.
    That's because level 34 was too high for that area. You should have gone over to Altepa, which is a nice little journey from Bastok. Or seeked for a party from Jeuno, since the surrounding areas are good for that level too.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well these days you can stay there all you want with level sync :P

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

No, at lv30, the only future for you is to solo or abyssea leech .

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    No, at lv30, the only future for you is to solo or abyssea leech .

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Luckily i know a few guys who think the abyssea zones are as uninspiring as I do, so we trio.

That means I think Abyssea leeching to be so lame that I'll take a 130k exp per hour loss to just not be in there. Pretty extreme huh?