Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 6 things you may not have known about FFVI

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I may have missed it being said but it is the last Final Fantasy that characters learn Magic through leveling up.

Also again not sure if it has been said but Relm is the only Pictomancer in the entire franchise.

Strago has the most spells learned of any blue mage in the series when he joins your party.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Relm My 6,666 post!

167. There are 3 ways to obtain the spell Ultima in VI. 1) Through the Ragnarok Esper. 2) Through the Paladin Shield. 3) Getting Terra to Level 99.

168. Aria Di Mezzo Carattere translates to Aria of the Half Character.

169. Terra, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, and Cyan are the only characters who technically benefit from getting them to level 99. Terra and Celes naturally learn spells all the way to max level, Sabin and Cyan learn their respective techniques to the final levls, and Edgar's tool's utilize his levels in the damage formula.

170. Despite being the monk class, Sabin never utilizes the legendary monk skill Kick as one of his Blitzs.

171. Terra's theme is the only theme in the series that plays double roles as a character theme and as the world map theme.

172. VI is the first game in the series whose Chocobo Theme is a radical departure from the regular Chocobo themes from previous games. Being closer to nature with the Black Chocobo Theme over the regular yellow chocobo theme. This will actually stay as a trend for the later installments.

173. VI is the first FF game that utilized Mode 7 to create faux 3D for the airships, being the first FF to allow you to control elevation like a real flying vessel.

174. With the exception of Umaro and Gogo, every character in VI has lost a personal loved one in their backstory, wither it be a lover (Locke, Setzer, Cyan, Mog, Shadow) or a family member (Gau, Edgar, Sabin, Celes, Terra, Strago, Relm)

175. The only thing the Stamina stat affects in the game is the effectiveness of Poison and Regen status, as well as Instant death elements.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    170. Despite being the monk class, Sabin never utilizes the legendary monk skill Kick.

His desperation attack uses a kicking sprite
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

^ Which happens to look uncannily like Yang's Kick sprite. Also...

169. Terra, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, and Cyan are the only characters who technically benefit from getting them to level 99. Terra and Celes naturally learn spells all the way to max level, Sabin and Cyan learn their respective techniques to the final levls, and Edgar's tool's utilize his levels in the damage formula.
    Not true. ALL(well, 99%) attacks in FFVI use level as a damage modifier. Since stats don't raise on level up, the actual level of a character is the only thing that makes attacks do more damage as you level up. If this wasn't the case, characters would never do any more damage with any of their attacks at level 1 than they do at level 99, barring Esper bonuses and equipment. Also, the success rates of non-damaging abilities like Steal, Sketch, and Control are based on your level compared to the enemy's.

172. VI is the first game in the series whose Chocobo Theme is a radical departure from the regular Chocobo themes from previous games. Being closer to nature with the Black Chocobo Theme over the regular yellow chocobo theme. This will actually stay as a trend for the later installments.
    Not sure what you mean by this, but FFVI's Chocobo Theme falls right in line with all the other Chocobo themes and follows the same harmony. It's fancier and more complex, yes, but so is all the music of FFVI compared to the previous games, and if you follow the Chocobo theme down the line from the original in FFII, it has continually evolved and been enhanced in every game. There really isn't anything "radically" different about Techno de Chocobo compared to previous themes. In fact, the Black Chocobo themes from FFIV and FFV(Samba and Mambo de Chocobo) still follow the same harmony as the basic chocobo theme, so there isn't anything particularly special about them either, apart from the style of the song.

Just for comparison's sake, here's the main chocobo themes from FFII-FFVI, and Samba de Chocobo from FFIV:

FFII - Chocobo!
    FFIII - Chocobos!
    FFIV - Choco-chocobo
    FFV - Go Go Boco!
    FFVI - Techno de Chocobo
    FFIV - Samba de Chocobo!

173. VI is the first FF game that utilized Mode 7 to create faux 3D.
    Not true, either. Both FFIV and FFV use Mode 7 for various effects, although certainly not as much as FFVI did.

174. With the exception of Umaro and Gogo, every character in VI has lost a personal loved one in their backstory, wither it be a lover (Locke, Setzer, Cyan, Mog, Shadow) or a family member (Gau, Edgar, Sabin, Celes, Terra, Strago, Relm)
    Celes's parents are never touched upon in FFVI, so it is unknown whether they are really dead or even if they ever existed at all. All we know is that she was raised by the Empire from birth. Whether she was found abandoned, kidnapped from her parents, given up at the Emperor's request, purposely conceived for the Magitek program, or even artificially born in a lab is completely unknown. Of course, one could possibly still lump her in with the rest by virtue of Cid's death in the World of Ruin if you choose not to feed him.

Also, Strago is not Relm's real grandfather, so he has no familial connection to her mother. An NPC mentions he was just a friend of the family/distantly related during your initial visit to Thamasa. Again, though, one could connect Strago with Relm's mother simply by virtue of him knowing her well enough to be willing to take care of her kid when she died and Shadow left.

175. The only thing the Stamina stat affects in the game is the effectiveness of Poison and Regen status.
    This is not the only effect Stamina plays. Stamina's primary effect is to act as resistance to instant death/gravity attacks. The higher your stamina, the less likely you will be hit by attacks such as Doom/Death, Break, W. Wind, Demi/Gravity, and the like. Also, Stamina affects the amount of HP you get with each step when wearing the Tintinnabar/Tintinnabulum relic.

Sorry to be so nit-picky, but misinformation is a pet peeve of mine.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    170. Despite being the monk class, Sabin never utilizes the legendary monk skill Kick.

His desperation attack uses a kicking sprite

Quote Originally Posted by espritduo View Post
    ^ Which happens to look uncannily like Yang's Kick sprite. Also...
    Which is my bad cause later at night I was doing some research and noticed Sabin's Desperation Attack animation. I'll change this one to say he never uses it as a blitz.

Not true. ALL(well, 99%) attacks in FFVI use level as a damage modifier. Since stats don't raise on level up, the actual level of a character is the only thing that makes attacks do more damage as you level up. If this wasn't the case, characters would never do any more damage with any of their attacks at level 1 than they do at level 99, barring Esper bonuses and equipment. Also, the success rates of non-damaging abilities like Steal, Sketch, and Control are based on your level compared to the enemy's.
    This is my bad, I've never actually checked an algorithm faq before for the game so I only noticed the level affect when I was trying to level up Edgar and despite raising his MA stat at the time, he kept systematically getting better with AutoCrossbow. I probably never noticed cause I usually level up the character based on their preference. It's difficult to notice levels affecting Blitz and magic when your raising Strength and Magic respectively.

I'll concede to this one.

Not sure what you mean by this, but FFVI's Chocobo Theme falls right in line with all the other Chocobo themes and follows the same harmony. It's fancier and more complex, yes, but so is all the music of FFVI compared to the previous games, and if you follow the Chocobo theme down the line from the original in FFII, it has continually evolved and been enhanced in every game. There really isn't anything "radically" different about Techno de Chocobo compared to previous themes. In fact, the Black Chocobo themes from FFIV and FFV(Samba and Mambo de Chocobo) still follow the same harmony as the basic chocobo theme, so there isn't anything particularly special about them either, apart from the style of the song.

Just for comparison's sake, here's the main chocobo themes from FFII-FFVI, and Samba de Chocobo from FFIV:

FFII - Chocobo!
    FFIII - Chocobos!
    FFIV - Choco-chocobo
    FFV - Go Go Boco!
    FFVI - Techno de Chocobo
    FFIV - Samba de Chocobo!
    This has to do with the style of the theme, the main melody is the same of course (otherwise no one would recognize it) but the musical styling is closer to the Black Chocobo variation where the Chocobo theme is redone in a different musical style. I only say its radical because it is the main yellow chocobo's theme as opposed to a special variation like Black or even the Fat Chocobo. While technology has certainly improved the quality of the tracks and Uematsu has used new techniques to enhance it over the years, VI is the first one where the main chocobo theme is presented in a new style with a semi-techno experiemental vibe. Its not the typical light theme from earlier entries.

173. VI is the first FF game that utilized Mode 7 to create faux 3D.
    Not true, either. Both FFIV and FFV use Mode 7 for various effects, although certainly not as much as FFVI did.
    You missed the last part of that statement, I'm not claiming VI was the first to use Mode 7, but it was the first FF to use it to create a fake 3D visual affect, most obvious in the Magitech march onto Narshe in the opening, Chocobo riding, and using the airship. Granted Seiken Denetsu 2 was the first to pull this off but VI was the first to go this far, IV and V's Mode 7 only created the idea the world looked Round but it still comes across as two 2d planes moving over each other. VI allowed you to change the elevation and do quick turns so I would say its more faux 3D than IV and V

Celes's parents are never touched upon in FFVI, so it is unknown whether they are really dead or even if they ever existed at all. All we know is that she was raised by the Empire from birth. Whether she was found abandoned, kidnapped from her parents, given up at the Emperor's request, purposely conceived for the Magitek program, or even artificially born in a lab is completely unknown. Of course, one could possibly still lump her in with the rest by virtue of Cid's death in the World of Ruin if you choose not to feed him.

Also, Strago is not Relm's real grandfather, so he has no familial connection to her mother. An NPC mentions he was just a friend of the family/distantly related during your initial visit to Thamasa. Again, though, one could connect Strago with Relm's mother simply by virtue of him knowing her well enough to be willing to take care of her kid when she died and Shadow left.
    You are being far too literal here. I don't believe that family has to extend to just blood relatives. If you want to get into semantics Celes does lose her parents and this can still apply even if they are alive since they were not a part of her life. Still, if we are to count Dissidia for anything, there is a Mognet Letter where a moogle mentions Celes' Suicide attempt, which for most would be enough to say Squenix counts Cid's death as canon in VI.

Strago easily loses a "daughter" with Clyde's lover. If he was close enough to the family to raise Relm, I would say Strago may have thought of Relm's mother as family. If you want to be technical, I can place him in his own category as losing a close friend.

175. The only thing the Stamina stat affects in the game is the effectiveness of Poison and Regen status.
    This is not the only effect Stamina plays. Stamina's primary effect is to act as resistance to instant death/gravity attacks. The higher your stamina, the less likely you will be hit by attacks such as Doom/Death, Break, W. Wind, Demi/Gravity, and the like. Also, Stamina affects the amount of HP you get with each step when wearing the Tintinnabar/Tintinnabulum relic.
    Good to know. I still feel its a worthless stat though.

Sorry to be so nit-picky, but misinformation is a pet peeve of mine.
    I don't mind, I prefer accuracy myself and I don't necessarily claim to know everything about VI. Though this may have been more of a battle of semantics for some.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Wolf Kanno;2968975]
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    \163. speaking of... VI is the last numbered FF game to feature the skills Dash, Double-hand, and Dual Wield.
    I was about to object to this in regards to crisis core, then I saw the part of numbered ff game. I was also going to object with their being two handed weapons in every ff game after this (except X) but Then I saw SKILL, and those aren't skills.

well played worthy adversary
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

Strago easily loses a "daughter" with Clyde's lover. If he was close enough to the family to raise Relm, I would say Strago may have thought of Relm's mother as family. If you want to be technical, I can place him in his own category as losing a close friend.
    Or nobody else wanted to raise the little brat, after all Thamasa is a town of xenophobes and she was the daughter of an outsider.

Dont know if this has been mentioned but FFVI is the first FF with trains
    Have a nice day!!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Dont know if this has been mentioned but FFVI is the first FF with trains
    I think this is my favourite fact out of all of them!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Trains can be 176 then.

177. VI is the only game in the series to have an exclusive world map theme for a specific area (The Veldt)

178. VI is the first game to mostly drop spell items like Red Fangs, Grenades, and other items that cast minor spells.

179. It is the first FF to feature an item that casts a summon though.

180. Umaro is the only character in VI who cannot use magic or summons.

181. There use to be a summon skill in VI but it was dummied out of the game.

182. In the Opening and Ending FMV's in the Anthology version of FFVI, Locke never shows his face despite showing up several times in the videos.

183. Despite the rampant war between fanboys about who is better, Kefka and Sephiroth actually have a few similarities.

a) Both gained their power through unethical experimentation, with th theme of combining humans with something unnatural.
    b) Both end up betraying the organizations that created them, and both killed the leaders of said organization.
    c) Both have someone swear vengeance against them for killing a loved one.
    d) Both of them battle and kill former allies.
    e) Both of them use a main character as their personal pawn.
    f) Both use angelic imagery for their final forms and both have the same number of wings as their respective titles (Kefka 6, Sephy 7)
    g) Both Use Heartless Angel and Chaos Wing in their final forms.
    h) Both of them commit genocide
    i) Both of them are remembered more for their final boss themes than their actual themes.
    j) Both of them end up awakening ancient evil monsters that terrorize their worlds.
    k) Despite both being present since the early parts of their games in one form or another, neither is considered the true threat of their games until halfway through.
    l) Both of them murder the population of a city
    m) Both of them are responsible for the genocide of another race (Cetra and Espers)

184. Even if you change his name Edgar will always use Gerad as his cover name.

185. VI is the first game to have the airship bombardment be a skill.

186. VI is the first FF to not have Chocobo as a summon but rather as a random attack in Setzer's slots.

187. Despite being powerful wielders of magic, neither Terra or Celes can actually equip any of the Mage type gear.

188. VI is the only game in the series that has a minor special scene for using tents. The tents being a different color depending on who is using it.

189. Only Celes, Edgar and Setzer have to be recruited in the WoR, everyone else is optional.

190. Even if you don't bring Celes to the Floating Continent, or recruit Terra in the WoR. Both of them will appear for story reasons during the confrontations with Kefka.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

This should go up as an FF6 Trivia page on the frontsite when you're fully exhausted!

191. FF6 was the first game to include in-battle cutscenes that involved things like characters walking around and looking at each other. Previously, the story remained outside of battles with the exception of dialogue text in the message window during battle.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

192. Until the remakes in IV, Kefka was the first FF villain to have both a first name and last name in the series. (No one knew if Golbez was actually Theodore's real name or not until the DS remake) He is also one of very few villains who actually has a full name with this type of structure.

193. Of all four of his encounters with the party, only Ultros' final encounter before the Floating Continent does not involve him dealing with one of the female cast members. (First encounter was hitting on Terra, tried to drop the weight on Celes, and his hilarious painting from Relm)

194. Mog and Gau have the shortest names for playable characters in the series.

195. Despite being his signature attack in the story, Kefka never uses the Light of Judgment on the party, instead using an attack called Forsaken. LoJ only first appearing as an actual attack in FF Dissidia.

196. Even though Ultros and Siegfried claim to know each other, they never actually appear together in the game.

197. VI is the first game in the series that allows a game over from screwing up a story event. You only get 3 chances to get the opera right.

198. VI is the first game where Holy, Meteor, and Excalibur are not given any real significance in any form in the game, none of them being presented as a legendary artifact.

199. The Dream Stooges, Ultros, and the Imp are some of the few enemies who were given different names in the U.S. script and have been maintained in all future English scripts. The dream stooges are actually all called dream in the Japanese script but each one is a different language. Ultros is actually suppose to be Orthros as in the Greek monster spelling (though they have nothing in common beyond the name), and the Imp is obviously a Japanese water demon called a Kappa and his special gear are all references to the famous cucumber eating demon.

200. One of the weird things about VI's marketing campaign in the U.S. back in the 90s was the fact that a lot of emphasis was given to Mog, who is a minor optional character in the actual game.

He is on the cover of the US boxart
    160px-Ff3usbox.gif

featured in the magazine/comic books ads

egm1.gifegm2.gif

and the US commercial

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

the thing about mode 5 and 36 is not correct, ff5 did it with the intro meteor strike
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I cleared up 173, which concerned the Mode 7 issue. Though I don't know what you mean about 36?

Also, I would like to point out, that although the list says 200, a few were thrown out (about five or so) so the list hasn't actually reached 200 yet.

Blog Entries

Also why are we being slaves to the decimal system? We should aim for 256
    Have a nice day!!