Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 things you may not have known about FFVI

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

36. While most of the playable cast have their main themes playing while they are introduced in the story, Terra, Celes, and Sabin do not. Terra has the them Awakening playing during her formal introduction, Celes has Under Martial Law, and Sabin has Coin Song playing instead of their actual themes.

37. Speaking of which, VI is the only game in the series that introduces the cast through a narration.

38. VI has the most glitches in the entire series with only FFVII coming close to the amount of weird stuff that can happen to cause strange effects.

39. VI is the first game in the series to have two party members who share a parent/child relation. (Shadow and Relm)

40. VI is the second of three games to have twins in the story as main party members. The other two being FFIV and FFXII

41. Umaro was suppose to be recruited differently in the original plan for the game, he would be a rare random monster on the overworld map you had to defeat to get him to join you.

42. Gogo as well had a different scenario for obtaining. He would dress up as a party member not currently in your party in the WoR be found randomly in towns. You had to get the party member he was mimicking and try to find him before he left town and took another members persona.

43. Even Sakaguchi and Kitase admit that Gau really has no point in the story, but they wanted to make him anyway.

44. When asked about the fates of Banon, Arvis, and the Narshe Elder in the WoR, Sakaguchi has stated the player should use their own imagination.

45. VI is the only game that has a summon that can hurt it's caster.

46. Speaking of which, VI is the first game in the series to have black magic spells that target the whole party. Though V is the first game to actually have a spell that affects everyone...

47. It wasn't until Dissidia that we finally got an age for Kefka, and I believe him and Vayne are the only main villains in the series that actually have confirmed ages.

48. VI is the only game in the console series, where the Flametongue and Icebrand weapons randomly cast their elemental spells when they attack. It is also the first game in the series to have the Thunderblade (not to be mistaken with the other Lightning based sword, Coral Sword)

49. VI has the longest Final Boss theme in the series (17:38) and the longest ending theme (21:34).

50. Final Fantasy staple, Cactuar made their debut in VI.

51. Though Tonberries debuted in FFV, VI debuted the stronger and meaner Master Tonberry, though it wouldn't be til VII that they acquired their two signature abilities: Knife and Everyone's Grudge.

52. Gau and Gogo cannot use the Merit Award in the GBA version of VI cause SE learned about "Wind God Gau".

53. If you get a characters magic stat to 140 or higher, the damage from magic will overflow and cause it to be reset to 0.

54. AP has two uses in the game, it's the currency point system used to learn spells and it's also used to determine how much time Terra can stay in her Trance mode. This is why even if you have learned every spell, if Terra is in your party, you still get a message that you got AP from the battle.

55. Nobuo Uematsu considers VI to be the last original Final Fantasy, as many of the core members from the previous entries either quit Square, moved into administrative positions , and the team was replaced with younger members of the company or new people.

56. Nobuo also didn't like writing a theme for a cast so large cause he felt that some would not be as important to the story as other.

57. VI is the first game in the series to have secret characters to recruit (Umaro and Gogo).

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    39. VI is the first game in the series to have two party members who share a parent/child relation. (Shadow and Relm)
    what about galuf and krile?
    edit: to 48, that happens in 5 also.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll give you 48 though I've never seen the weapons do it but maybe its been awhile since I've played V.

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm having a brain drain and forgot about items like the Gaia Hammer in V so yeah. Though I did change it somewhat...

As for 39, Galuf is Krile's grandfather, while I guess one can argue their relationship is parent to child, I'm not counting it.

58. VI is the only game in the series that has a cursed item that can have the curse removed.

59. There are a total of 3 Memento Rings in the game.

60. Although fixed by the GBA release, their is a bug that makes the Evade stat useless, instead the game takes the evade stat from from your M.Evade which is why the White Cape Relic is so freaking awesome.

61. If you watch the CG ending to VI from FF anthology, when you watch Shadow fight the ghosts on the train, their is a quick flash, if you slow it down, its an image of Relm from one of the Amano designs.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

ok, but wait.... shadows not relms dad is he?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Ah, the only thing I could think to add was recruiting secret characters. I had thought it was the first. But you squeaked that one in at the end already :P Isn't it like the only one to use Amano art in the profiles?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    ok, but wait.... shadows not relms dad is he?
    Yes he is. How else can you explain the fact he and Relm are the only characters that can equip the Memento Ring.

I'll count the Amano portraits as 62.

63. If you don't save Shadow and he dies on the Floating Continent, Relm gains Interceptor in combat and he's block and counter for her just like he does for Shadow.

64. VI is the only game in the series where you can actually kill a party member by not doing a specific thing at a certain time.

65. Cait Sith makes his first appearance in VI as an Esper, but the connection doesn't end there. Celes was originally meant to be a real spy for the empire in the early design for the game, a spy who ended up liking the people she was spent to spy on and became conflicted with her allegiance, this scenario is strikingly similar to Cait Sith's story in VII.

66. Locke was originally meant to be a partner and rival to the lead (Terra Bradford) before he became a she. He also originally had the Runic command as well. As they began to iron out the story and details, Locke became the Locke we all know and love. :ffvipatpat:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

61. If you watch the CG ending to VI from FF anthology, when you watch Shadow fight the ghosts on the train, their is a quick flash, if you slow it down, its an image of Relm from one of the Amano designs.
    Mind...Blown

67. It was the only snes FF to feature the same sprite resolutions in and out of battle
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 03-12-2011 at 03:15 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

I bet it was the first game (if not the only game?) to deal with suicide (as I'm having a hard time thinking of any other examples). But even if not in a broader sense, I think it's the first and only in the series

Blog Entries

I think there were a few characters in IV and one in III that sacrificed thier lives for the party if that counts as suicide.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I think there were a few characters in IV and one in III that sacrificed thier lives for the party if that counts as suicide.
    Losing the will to live is completely different from valuing the lives of others above your own. One is culturally revered, while the other is reviled.

Yeah. I was talking about just suicide. I know 4 and 5 had deaths and sacrifices. I never played 2 but I think it had sacrifices as well. But I know the rest of the series has only had sacrifices and regular deaths

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

68. FFVI is the only FF where the player can alter the story to cause characters to die, and it happens at least twice and maybe 3 times (Shadow, Cid, and maybe Sabin though I never lose that part).
    69. FFVI is the first FF to feature accessories as equipment slots.
    70. FFVI is the first FF to have you acquire magic through AP accumulation.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Speaking of the way magic works. I suppose VI would be the first one that lets you assign summons to characters outside of set jobs and classes. Anyone gets to be a summoner no matter what

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Good point! Here's more:

71. FFVI is the only FF that let's you choose the order in which you complete the story (gathering your characters in the WoR and the scenarios in the WoB).
    72. Even though FF has the largest cast, you can beat FFVI with as few as 3 members in your entire party. That's the fewest of any FF.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Suicide and first to allow every character to use summons without the summoner class will be 73 and 74.

75. This one I didn't even know initially. Apparently, Terra gets a stat boost if she is in your party for the final battle against Kefka.

76. Oddly, VI has character artwork for several people who play very minor roles in the game such as Owzer and the Kappa. Yet more important minor characters like Rachael, Maduin, Madonna, and Arvis don't have any known artwork (course I could be wrong about this as much of the character artwork has not been released in the West. Pointing out Terra's blue dress design used as her alt outfit in Dissidia Duodecim, as well as the artwork of Clyde have only recently come to light.)

77. Despite being a large plot element at one point in the game, the party never actually meets Maria.

78. Cid actually has a the longest last name of the Cid's in FF. His full name is Cid Del Norte Marquez and his name roughly translates as "Cid, son of Marquis from the north". He is also one of three Cid's who actually dies.

79. Molulu (Kuku in the Woosely script) is one of the moogles that helps Locke save Terra in the beginning of the game. She is in Mog's party, and the basis for the name of the Mog exclusive relic, Molulu's Charm (Moogle Charm in the Woosely script). The reason for this is because she is suppose to be Mog's girlfriend.

80. VI is the first game that allows you to split up your party and still hav them all participate in dungeons and battles.

81. It also the first game that allows dead party members to be replaced by inactive ones during the final battle.

82. VI is the only game in the series to have Biggs and Wedge as CG renders in the Anthology versions opening.

83. An odd element of Strago is that several of his artwork has him using steam-powered jet bikes and piloting other machines yet in the game he never once uses a machine nor reveals any skill with machinery.

84. Terra's theme is used in five different tracks in VI (Omen, Awakening, Save Them!, Metamorphosis, and Ending Theme)

85. Despite Terra being Half-Esper and Celes being a magically infused Magitech Knight, Relm actually has the best Magic stat in the game, despite Terra having a story reason for being the best magic user.

86. Umaro is the tallest playable character in the series 6' 10".

87. You fight Kefka more times than any other villain in the series (5 times) though it should be noted that three of them are scripted and unwinnable. Seymour from FFX actually has the most real battles among the main villains in the series with a total of four.

88. Kefka's laugh is used in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII.

89. VI's story is designed around an opera theme, it uses narration, is split into acts, has several fourth wall breaking moments such as characters waving and acknowledging the player, and even has the ending presented as a giant curtain call. It also uses elements from Italian opera such as a harlequin character (Kefka) and several of the cast members utilize Italian surnames.