Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default The Power of Cheese

This thread was meant to be a tribute to the greatest FFIV--or possibly any FF--thread ever, but I'm sad to see that many of the images no longer link properly. If anyone has saved the original images Necro used for his comic please contact me and I'll fix them up.

Anyway, to give this thread a real topic, I actually thought the cheesy translation of this game, and other games of this era, gave it an extra appeal. Without it we would have never gotten such famous lines as "You spoony bard!" or "This guy are sick". These days translations get a lot more attention and that removes some of the whimsy in games. Do you feel the same? What were some of your favorite cheesy dialogue in the original translation of FFIV for the SNES?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The...site or w/e still had all the images up, if I remember correctly. It's one of the greatest things I have ever seen on the internet, or any where.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

He's talked about redoing it one day.

In the meantime, here's a really good and ongoing "Let's Play" of FFIV...I-I mean "FFII" for you to read: "One to be born from a dragon..." -- Let's Play Final Fantasy II - The Return of Talking Time

Seriously, it's great!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do get some love out of the bad translations of old, but for the most part, I'm glad we've entered an era where bad localization/translations are not exactly tolerated anymore. Hell, I wouldn't mind a VII port (not remake) that just had the localization fixed. I'd buy that, Xenogears would be more appreciated though.

I still love some of the grarm and Wooselism of the old days and I certainly enjoy the fact that was an era of gaming that was part of my life but I don't think I would care to see it now in a big budget title. Of anything, I would prefer to see gamers take from this era the fact it never took itself too seriously. Betwen trying to stop an evil Warlock from stealing the Crystals and bringing Armageddon to the planet, we still got to watch Cecil walk in and spend time at strip joints, spy on nude swimmers, visit a village run by pigs, midgets, and frogs; and collect dead rat tails to exchange for the most powerful metal substance on the planet.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Of anything, I would prefer to see gamers take from this era the fact it never took itself too seriously. Betwen trying to stop an evil Warlock from stealing the Crystals and bringing Armageddon to the planet, we still got to watch Cecil walk in and spend time at strip joints, spy on nude swimmers, visit a village run by pigs, midgets, and frogs; and collect dead rat tails to exchange for the most powerful metal substance on the planet.
    I completely agree there. The more recent games definitely lack a level of whimsy that was present in the 16-bit titles. Hell, even Cloud wore a dress for one event.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I do get some love out of the bad translations of old, but for the most part, I'm glad we've entered an era where bad localization/translations are not exactly tolerated anymore. Hell, I wouldn't mind a VII port (not remake) that just had the localization fixed. I'd buy that, Xenogears would be more appreciated though.
    I agree. I think that if Square Enix ports a game to a modern day console, then the game should be updated in its localization at the very least. I would love to see Final Fantasy VII or Xenogears properly translated, and a port with a proper translation would be great incentive to purchase and play the game on a modern console rather than turning to emulation. I just hope that future ports by Square Enix don't have any technical issues like the slowdown of Final Fanasy Tactics: The War of the Lions.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Christmas, you legend. I thank you.

Well I mean other than Tellah'a introduction at the start in the waterfall cave I've got nothing

Or the Rydia bomb scene maybe. Signet Ring!