Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Band/Song/Genre

I hate it when people argue about music. It's music...

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hate when people butt in.

I hate when people hold a conversation on a public forum and expect it to be private.

I also hate genres. Too many pointless ones exist.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I don't know if there really is a "good" way to name a genre. Seems as logical as any other. Look at how metal go it's name. The same way. Especially heavy metal or industrial. They were named for the sounds they make.

Besides, like Bunny said, genres are sort of limiting and silly anyway. They're just useful when describing a band to someone else.

Motion City Soundtrack: Her Word's Destroyed My Planet
    Ludo: Love Me Dead
    Janelle Monáe: Cold War
    Streetlight Manifesto: Somewhere In The Between
    Caravan Palace: Jolie Coquine

So yeah, not really sure if I have a favorite genre or anything. These are probably the five bands I've been listening to regularly for the past two years, so find their common thread and let me know.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

This is probably one of my favorite songs right now. The start is just so orgasmic, I feel like bobbing my head and then finding some one to have wild passionate sex with...

YouTube - Light This City - Maddening Swarm

Get a hold of this, rap metal?
    Otep - T.R.I.C.
    Probably heard of them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YSW...layer_embedded

I have to share this band, AMAZING band.
    Cadaveria
    Awesome band, getting a bad rap for changing their sound. I just discovered them, they're brilliant even though the sound has changed I don't find them to be generic.
    Spell:old school
    YouTube - Cadaveria - Spell
    Irreverent Elegy : second album
    YouTube - Cadaveria - Irreverent Elegy
    ________

New sound/ The Dream
    YouTube - Cadaveria - The Dream

Personally, I just bought every song they have ever done on impulse.

I love metal chicks. I think women vocals are more moving and powerful than male vocals. I enjoy female screams and growls.

A woman can hit higher notes and it sounds more natural and organic, passionate, and like it's from her soul. A guy sounds like he has a sore throat and is screaming GO GET ME A SANDWICH, while the woman is screaming and growling about being told to get that sandwich and it comes off naturally, organically and REAL ! AND RAGH!!!!!!

YEAH!!!!!

Blog Entries

Spirit is on a metal frenzy!

My favorite bands for now are either Smashing Pumpkins or Asian Kung-Fu Generation

LOL, yes I am. Yes, I am...
    Lately I've needed some metal in my blood, which is appropriate I'm ANEMIC!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    I love metal chicks. I think women vocals are more moving and powerful than male vocals. I enjoy female screams and growls.

A woman can hit higher notes and it sounds more natural and organic, passionate, and like it's from her soul. A guy sounds like he has a sore throat and is screaming GO GET ME A SANDWICH, while the woman is screaming and growling about being told to get that sandwich and it comes off naturally, organically and REAL ! AND RAGH!!!!!!

YEAH!!!!!
    The majority of woman vocalizations in metal come off as weak and powerless. Unless it's operatic singing, I'd rather hear a dude.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Not all of 'em, dude. Whether is old school hardcore, metal, or something in between. A lot of these women sound awesome.

Walls of Jericho

Arch Enemy

Iwrestledabearonce

Blog Entries

Arch Enemy is the main one I had in mind when writing that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Julbacca View Post
    Arch Enemy is the main one I had in mind when writing that post.
    BULLOCKS.

I'm not a fan of Arch Enemy. BUT...

Male vocals are lame, like the Dark Knight type of BS. I think we're defining power differently. Males are all like demon growl voice, monster type thing. Women are more emotional, spiritual in nature, and can growl meaner and their screams are more real and intense than a man's...

One is more organic, the other is like some one is playing the Dark Knight...

Blog Entries

I think you listen to too much screamo then mate because there is simply no way that is true of real metal. You're romanticizing the vocals and adding qualities that just aren't there.

The point of screams and growls is to match the harsher, more aggressive sound of the music accompanying, and female vocals simply lack the punch to do so the majority of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Julbacca View Post
    I think you listen to too much screamo then mate because there is simply no way that is true of real metal. You're romanticizing the vocals and adding qualities that just aren't there.

The point of screams and growls is to match the harsher, more aggressive sound of the music accompanying, and female vocals simply lack the punch to do so the majority of the time.
    Bah...real metal? Poser...

I like what I like and it's metal.I don't give a fck about sub genres.

That is the most lame argument there is...sub genre is the second worse.

You don't like what I like so it's not real metal. And third lamest argument? Is that you're a poser and I'm not...

But, hey now that we're doing this....

I think male vocals lack power often. Metal music doesn't scare me or anything. "Death metal" if you would, relaxes me...I almost fall asleep listening to it. I'm not looking for a bad ass or anything. I think the female vocals to hard music work just fine and are a great combination.Matching the vocals, now who is defining and romancing?
    Fine, if that's what you get out of it, I think some diversity in a song is a good thing, where a woman can match the feeling of a song, because she's more sensitive and emotional typically in nature, personally and there's nothing un-brutal about a lot of music I listen to.ESPECIALLY FOR A WOMAN.

I enjoy it. Few women can do it, and some can't pull it off. MANY can't.

Forgive me for being so one sided. I do enjoy male vocals, growls. If I'm not mistaken my current favorite band Light This City uses both in their songs...and I enjoy the combination of both. But don't be telling me that it isn't real metal and that those chicks don't have talent and aren't doing something that many other chicks can't. Let's be real, not mean, hard, metal? Let's see you do what some of these chicks can do. They don't even need a sound studio to sound this way, it's pure vocals.

Now, please refrain from saying what real metal is or isn't, these chicks are extreme and deserve the respect that they deserve.

I still say that male vocals are more expected, generic, than female vocals...that is a opinion and that doesn't mean it's not real metal music. This isn't science or something, it simply is metal music. I know it's hard to be a "metalhead" and open minded but it's possible...

Something like this for another example, The Agonist, relaxes me, but it's not like this is your every day chick. And apparently it's " Melodic death metal
    Metalcore" Which seems to be a accepted title to the sub genre (God forbid these arguments...) BUT, if you punch it in, I think you'll find that a lot of it has the same sort of feeling to it.

I like how female singers can be like sirens and also switch their voices to deeper depths of feelings that are brutal and ANGST. Males can have range, but when a woman sings beautifully and then can tab into her more aggressive and pained nature, and bring it all out and as hard as she can, harder than most chicks...I like that. It sounds good to me, apparently I'm not the only person either.

I listen to all kinds of music. Female singers have that awesome range, where they can be expected, and also hard, harsh. Males on the other hand, I don't like soft male vocals in ANY music, let alone metal music. (Just about) and so I don't get that range, especially when guys have a deeper voice...

On this note, I'm not a fan of emo, just some range and feeling in the voice, that makes it more real and brutal to me than some guy growling, yelling.

Of course it's romancing, it's music...it's art, it's literature, it's entertainment! I don't like all of it, not all female vocalists can pull it off.
    Last edited by spirit; 03-25-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Is this really going to devolve into an argument based on "let's see you do better"?

*sigh* That's just silly, mate.

Do a poll of the top 100 metal vocalists and I doubt a female would break the top 50. I think you're trying too hard to be different.