Thread: PS3 save files: Possible to trade and play on a different system?

Default PS3 save files: Possible to trade and play on a different system?

I tried to do this today with a friend. It seemed easy enough. I plugged in a USB drive, copied my Biohazard 5 save file, took it to a friend's house to play, copied it to his saved files, booted up BH 5, and when it went to load the game it said that the game could not be played because it wasn't on the same profile. WTF? Why should that matter? Back in the PS2 era, if you had a save, you could copy it and play it on any system.

What if my PS3 dies and I need to transfer my saves to a new system? WHat then? So I beseech you. Has anybody SUCCESSFULLY copied and imported save files to a new system, and what did you do? Most of the google searches I've done have come up with how to copy the original and then saying you can just copy and play. But is this with all games? Let me know if you have any other information you can add.
    Final Fantasy Infusion - Live the Adventure

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Maybe you have to log in as you on his ps3?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I have done it but I don't remember doing anything special, or how I did it. If I recall there is a saved data utility to transfer save files back and forth. Is that what you are using.

If its the same as how 360 works, then yeah. Saves are specific to profiles. You'd also want to copy your profile information or create your old log-in on his system to use the save. The 360 will let you use a save with any profile, but it'll warn you that if its not the same profile that created the save, then achievements will be locked, to keep people from cheating

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I have done it but I don't remember doing anything special, or how I did it. If I recall there is a saved data utility to transfer save files back and forth. Is that what you are using.
    Same I remember back in 09 i bought the 120 GB Slim when it launched and I moved all my save files and popped in my games to check if it worked too. Everything went smooth. I think the problem might be user name....I used the same one for both consoles, probably why I didn't encounter the problem your facing. I quick online search should narrow your options or try the PS North America site. If everything fails....they always got the 1-800 number waiting for you.

I tried creating a new "user" on my friend's PS3, but I guess I should have tried signing in on the PSN again. I tried it once and it said I couldn't sign in while my friend was signed in for some reason, but he wasn't signed in online. But this does give me something to think about and to tweak next time I go over there.

Thanks.
    Final Fantasy Infusion - Live the Adventure

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I know that this is definitely possible with the PSP as I was able to send a copy of my save of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together to someone else. Is it possible to send a save file to your PSP linked to the Playstation 3? You might be able to do it like that if that is the case.
    I believe in the power of humanity.