Thread: Does anyone else love "lying trailers"?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Does anyone else love "lying trailers"?

You know how when a movie comes out, it has its own trailer to advertise it? Well, obviously you have to be careful what scenes you allow to appear in your movie's trailer, bacause you might end up giving something away for the viewers. Most writers/directors/whoever is incharge of the trailers know this, so they often place scenes in a way that look like spoilers, but they're not.

What they do is place one scene after another scene, and they're a so seemless it looks like they're all one scene - I just love how they mess with us like that.

This is a great example, everybody thought that they were giving away the deaths (admitidly they did give one away) but when you watch the movie - they're not! Most of the scenes that look like deaths, are actually a group of scenes that have nothing to do with each other.

What's your opinion on this, and do you have any examples yourself?

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

YouTube - Scream 4: Official HD Trailer 2

The Scream 4 trailer. 1:38 where Gale is held by the killer and 1:39 where the killer takes a stab are definitely not from the same scene! Either that or Gale knees him in the crotch or something.

Most trailers do this, I guess. Especially horror trailers.

What you're talking about, I do like. I thought this was going to be about how they make dramedies and some rather serious indie flicks look like comedies (Sideways? The Royal Tennenbaums?) because they seem to know the movie isn't meant for general audiences (they're an acquired taste, and only certain people actually find them enjoyable, personally they tend to give me a headache). So they have to fool the public to come see. Which is weird, since they had to have green lit the movie, now they're having second thoughts or something? Then there's the extremely shameless types who would actually use deleted scenes in order to portray the movie differently. The movie critic Phelous from ThatGuyWithTheGlasses pointed out this being used on Case 39 or whatever its called to make it look like a supernatural monster movie tormenting a girl and her social worker. When in reality the little girl is supernatural herself and never even pretends to being tormented by something supernatural. There's even a scene of a character falling off a building in the trailer that's not shown in the movie. Its pretty ridiculous

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The description I've read of Sucker Punch seems pretty different than what the trailers let on. It might be something I want to see!

Blog Entries

Not the exact same thing as the topic but I remember hearing a lot of people complained that they didnt know Sweeney Todd was a musical
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Ah yes, I remember when we went to see Bridge to Terabithia, and thanks to the trailer we expected it to be like The Chronicles of Narnia. I never had the priviledge of reading the book as a child so I was fooled and sorta disappointed because the movie is nothing like that.

(SPOILER)Also, I cried. ;__;
    I like Kung-Fu.

What I hate is when they show all the good parts in the trailer.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Yarda View Post
    Yeah, that's the trend now though. The whole movie is shown in the trailers more or less.

Some films are really bad about it though, going so far as giving away the ending. The Quarantine trailer did that. But it wasn't a big deal since it was a pretty lousy remake of [REC] anyway.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yarda View Post
    Yes, this is what I hate!

I've noticed a growing trend in trailers about animated movies, and I'm not happy about it. They tend to emphasize comedy at the expense of the actual drama which the films really hold. The most recent one I can think of is Tangled: it had a rather misleading trailer which made the film look more comedic and snarky than it actually ended up being. Disney even used scenes in the trailer which never showed up in the film (the bit with Rapunzel's hair attacking Flynn etc).
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

Comedy trailers that present with "my kind of humor." Then when I watch the movie the subtler humor flies right over my head and the rest of the movie drains my will to live.

Okay, clearly, I didn't know what this thread was really about, but my opinion should still be heard.