Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should FF1-6 be made into films.

Default Should FF1-6 be made into films.

I think so. I would assume that they are the least played of the games, they are for myself and probably most fans who got in to FF post 2000. I have had a go at all but one of the first 6 games and lost interest pretty quickly not so much in the story but the graphics etc.

It would be great to see a good FF film and why not start from the beginning.

What do you reckon, would you like to see this?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The easiest would be FF1, purely because you couldn't really fail at creating the characters since they don't have any personality to begin with.

I'm not sure why there aren't any real blockbuster FF-styled movies with 'jobs' allocated to main characters. I mean, you could have a white mage, black mage, all that sort of thing. There are books in a similar vein - the Raven books by James Barclay are, I find, incredible works that really capture a lot of the FF spirit when it comes to the characters.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I think some of them would need to be a mini-series rather than a movie. But its certainly possible. I'm not sure how much I'd trust a director or producer to actually pull it off though

You would think that there would be a market there for sqenix to exploit. I did see some FF anime in HMV a good few years back but I never took a gamble on them as I am not an anime fan. Those books sound interesting, I will have to check them out.

A mini series would work well. It would be easier to get a 40+ hour game in a series rather than a 2 hour movie.

We need FF on our TV screen not just through our consoles.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I saw a thread with people trying to figure out if a FFIV movie was plausible. It's really not. There's far too many underlying aspects that wouldn't get fleshed out in that sort of timeframe. Most of the games wouldn't work either, for the same reasons.

I mean, if you just look at what happens in the start of VI you have:
    Invasion of Narshe
    Escaping Narshe/ Mog fight
    Walking to Figaro
    At Figaro/Sabin flashback
    Edgar joins/Terra uses magic?!/Castle submerges
    Going to South Figaro
    Mt Koltz
    etc etc etc

It'd move too fast, too much happening. But I would smurfing love to see it done well.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

There would be a lot of infomation to go into 1 film of a game, I agree. It is possible if done right. They said Lord of the Rings couldn't be done, well I say lets get Peter Jackson in on it lol.

It would be great to see the story of the early games played out. Maybe I should stop being lazy and play the games for my self.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by FFwarden View Post
    There would be a lot of infomation to go into 1 film of a game, I agree. It is possible if done right. They said Lord of the Rings couldn't be done, well I say lets get Peter Jackson in on it lol.
    Who the heck would say that you couldn't film Lord of the Rings? Going from a JRPG -> Movie is way harder than going from Book-> movie. First of all a video game is WAY longer than a book. And the narrative is completely different. The stories of video games rely on the player spending time fighting their way through 'dungeons' to increase the length and help the player get a feel for the scope of the game. There are just so many places you visit in a game after you cut them all you would be left with a script that was just 'inspired by'.

The only games that I could see being adapted well into movies are FF10,12 & 13. (Based on narrative, not quality of story)

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FFwarden View Post
    Who the heck would say that you couldn't film Lord of the Rings? Going from a JRPG -> Movie is way harder than going from Book-> movie. First of all a video game is WAY longer than a book. And the narrative is completely different. The stories of video games rely on the player spending time fighting their way through 'dungeons' to increase the length and help the player get a feel for the scope of the game. There are just so many places you visit in a game after you cut them all you would be left with a script that was just 'inspired by'.

The only games that I could see being adapted well into movies are FF10,12 & 13. (Based on narrative, not quality of story)
    That was the generel consesus before the LOTR fims were made. There isn't much difference in the length of a LOTR book than a ff game. Any way I'm not saying the whole games from start to finish should be made in to a film, that would be rediculous.

You would cut 90% of the battles, some of the dungeons and a couple of the characters (take ff9 as an example, I would cut Amarant, Black waltz 1 and 2 condie petie mountain path, Cleyra, 3 of the 4 guardians etc)

It could be done, just a matter of sifting the gold from the rust.

Square put out Spirits Within as a stand alone story. The first installment of Final Fantasy within the format of non-interactive video. Because they chose to do a story that was so far separated from their norm, it flopped. People expected swords and magic and instead got a chick running around looking for... I don't even remember and I own the thing.

Square then put AC. Advent Children proves that Square can at least assemble a salacious action-romp even if there's hardly a story.

I don't know about making other Fantasy's into movies or making movie sequels for them. If they made a movie seqel for VIII, it would probably feature a new villain or no action at all.

IMO, they should compile. Take aspects from what they've done so far, preserve swords and magic, change the characters, and try to weave together a coherent story that's still entertaining without contradicting itself. Granted, I know that none of this is easy. Someone would probably dare me to try it myself, and I'd like you to know that I would if I didn't think I'd get sued for infringement.

Those are my tuppence!

Final Fantasy V - Legend of the Crystals was an amusing mini-series romp. Though completely off key from the source material. But I liked it, and didn't like the game, so whatever. Final Fantasy Unlimited may have been okay, but I couldn't get past the generic "Wonderland" feel of it. You don't fall through a rabbit's hole to get to Final Fantasy xD I only watched the first volume. The story was kind of a drag, and the characters weren't that interesting. It may have gotten better after the first four episodes

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I agree with BoB; FFI would be best because there's wiggle room. That said, it wouldn't turn into the kind of film I'm into.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think any of them would work well as a film, either being too large to contain in a single film (III-VI) or the others being too large and their plots being a bit... like a game.

You could probably do FFI and II but you would have to cut out some parts cause they don't make any sense in a story context and certain characters will be played down or built up depending on the script writers needs. I know that FFI-IV did get the novel treatment in Japan, so perhaps they would provide an idea of what a film would look like from a story structure standpoint but stuff like fetching the Rat Tail for Bahamut, having to track down the three artifacts for the Ultima Scroll, several of the minor villains in III like Gondor(sp?), and some of the more silly elements would have to be cut out or changed drastically to make the film work with pacing and interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I agree with BoB; FFI would be best because there's wiggle room. That said, it wouldn't turn into the kind of film I'm into.
    I actually am writing it into more of a movie feel. Shh. Don't tell anyone.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    The easiest would be FF1, purely because you couldn't really fail at creating the characters since they don't have any personality to begin with.

I'm not sure why there aren't any real blockbuster FF-styled movies with 'jobs' allocated to main characters. I mean, you could have a white mage, black mage, all that sort of thing. There are books in a similar vein - the Raven books by James Barclay are, I find, incredible works that really capture a lot of the FF spirit when it comes to the characters.
    Thanks for the book recommendation. Out of the ones I've played which are IV and VI here, I wouldn't choose either one. The ending of IV may make people feel cheated and VI has a lot of things going on.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I can't imagine that any of them would suit being fit into a single film; far too much goes on in them. A series though, would easily work and, especially for FFVI for instance, would give plenty of scope to ensure that all the characters and plot points get sufficient attention. I've always felt that all of the games, particularly VI onwards would suit an anime series or something.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.