Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is this game awesome?

Default is this game awesome?

yea... just wondering cuz im about 5 seconds away from buying that game. cuz i never played it and if it's boring - well i'll buy it anyway i never played it before. so yea

yes, im wasting my teenage years playing final fantasy. no, that's a good thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It's okay. I would say it was the most time-consuming of the FF games I've played, MMO's aside. The story is average for me - mostly because it's not paced very well and you can end up forgetting what is going on because you get so sidetracked by the amount of time-consuming things you can do in the game that don't revolve around the story. The characters - Vaan and Penelo excepted - were good enough. I particularly liked a couple of them but I just wish they interacted more with the environments like they did in FFXIII. The battle system I have to say I didn't really enjoy. It didn't appeal to me on any level, really.

I'd rate it around 7/10, comparing with my ratings for the other games I got to the end of: FFVII (10/10), FFVIII (8/10), FFX (5/10), FFI (6/10), FFV (8/10), so yeah, it's sort of in the middle.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I say get it. It has the best battle system out of the series to me.

Well this is a hard one, I loved the graphics and it also had some really good characters like Balthier and Fran. The battle system wasn't bad, just not my favorite. And all the stuff you could do in it was fun.
    The story didn't really catch me though, and I found myself sometimes wondering: what are they doing? and why are they doing it?

I wouldn't grade FFXII awesome, but still a good game.

It's certainly worth checking out. Especially if you can get it on the cheap. If/when you do, give it a few hours to grow on you either way though. 'Cause depending on your tastes, Vaan might annoy you in the beginning. But you assemble a team rather quickly and once you have a few people and the story gets past a certain point you can pretty much forget he exists if you don't like him

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I say go for it. XII has its eccentricities but I felt it does an outstanding job. Its story is more plot focus than character driven and the pacing is off cause the game world is huge with lots of things to discover but I feel this is a nice trade off.

If you're someone who loves more story focused games and could care less about the game side as long as its not terrible, then you might have some issues with XII cause its easy to go hours without another story scene. Especially since the game let's you go almost wherever you want rather early in the story and most side-quests are made available rather early in the game.

A figure clad in armor. Darkwolf090's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Acerbus Lupus (Mysidia)

I bet Wolf is all so happy to see me in this thread.
    I disliked 12, alot.
    However its not to say you wont, I just dont enjoy the battle system or the "Main" char, that said I do enjoy the Judges, Bosch and Balither. I would suggest buying used from a place like gamestop so you can return it in a week if you dont like it. I just dont like games that play the game for you... that said it can be fun if you dont use the gambit system but i dont know if thats what your into so I suggest trying it regardless what people like me might say, everyone is different and likes different types of games.
    I care not for harmony nor discord. - Golbez
    It is better to die and be remembered forever, then it is to live on and have no one know your alive. Do what you want, hold nothing back!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I say go for it. XII has its eccentricities but I felt it does an outstanding job. Its story is more plot focus
    Really? I'd say they tried to focus on the plot, but they tried to throw in so much to make it really good that it just ended up being a half finished mesh that didn't really make much sense.

I didn't like the story, I didn't like many of the characters. But I loved the environment and the gameplay and the amount of places you can explore can take hours and hours, I even came to enjoy the battle system of XII. It kept me hooked for hours just on those points, and the well done mark minigame is great fun. It's worth the buy since you can get it for pennies these days.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I say go for it. XII has its eccentricities but I felt it does an outstanding job. Its story is more plot focus
    Really? I'd say they tried to focus on the plot, but they tried to throw in so much to make it really good that it just ended up being a half finished mesh that didn't really make much sense.
    To be fair to Wolf, you completely cut him off mid-sentence and if you include the comparison to character-driven story then he is absolutely correct, the story does focus more on the plot than the characters, quite unlike (for example) VIII which focused more on characters than on the plot.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I disliked ff12 on first playthrough 5 years on I quite like it now I am giving it a chance. One word to describe this game is ''frustrating''. I am well under levelled despite the fact I never run from a battle unless I really have to, a lot of this game is grinding where past FF games you must get more exp or something because I seem to be scraping my way through the game. Still it passes the time.

Final Fantasy XII is arguably the only great game Square has released in ten years.

...But if you really love FFXIII, this one might be difficult to get into.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I say go for it. It's one of those rare games that grows on me with each playthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by silentenigma View Post
    Final Fantasy XII is arguably the only great game Square has released in ten years.

...But if you really love FFXIII, this one might be difficult to get into.
    Not necessarily. They're both two of my favorite in the series! I can't really say which one I like more, because they're total opposites.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really enjoyed XII quite a bit, though there are a few things i would most certainly change. The chest system was a horrible time consumer, personally I would rather fight some huge behemoth of a creature for the best gear then... open a chest and reset my ps2 for hours on end. Also i found most of the games music to be pretty forgettable, not terrible mind you, just not memorable.
    EDIT: oh i also forgot to mention the character design is quite horrible. Seriously why did all of the soldiers in the beginning wear armor everywhere except the place most prone to getting stabbed in? Most of them might as well be shirtless for having the majority of their torso exposed.
    I mean look at the design of vaans brother (though im partially convinced its his sister)
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...LXsx0Vs1k8hblu -face desk-
    i could go on about character design but overall i still enjoy this game quite a bit, some things can be annoying but can be overlooked.
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 03-29-2011 at 03:07 AM.

I really enjoyed FFXII for what it is.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

It is an amazing and breathtaking experience with somewhat forgettable characters.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen