Thread: Sailor Moon is coming back this Fall!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Default Sailor Moon is coming back this Fall!

Kodansha Comics USA

NEW YORK, New York - March 18, 2011 - Kodansha USA Publishing, a subsidiary of Kodansha, announced today the exciting return of Naoko Takeuchi's SAILOR MOON, one of the most significant names in comics and manga, to US publishing. Brand new deluxe editions of the acclaimed series will be released by Kodansha USA's Kodansha Comics imprint in September 2011. Out of print for six years, SAILOR MOON re-launches along with Takeuchi's two-volume prequel series CODENAME: SAILOR V, in print in the US for the first time-making this one of the most highly anticipated manga releases in years.
    Anyone else super excited about this? I mean not only are we getting the original series, but Codename: Sailor V as well. I hope by "Enhanced Editions" they are referring to the new editions that were released in Japan a few years ago that put it from 18 volumes to 12, that'd be nice (and probably easier on the wallet).

Also, Toei has been going around the world rereleasing the anime version of Sailor Moon, I hope they decide to redo the series in North America. So far it's been pretty random, some European countries and in Africa, but maybe it will make it's way back to English!

I never got into it because all I ever saw was the american dub which made Serena look like a whiny self-centered air-head. I respect everyone else's love of it and its impact on anime/manga and its fans in general. But wasn't it a pretty complete series? I don't know how long the manga ran, but the anime was like 5 - 10 series/seasons, and I was under the impression they wrapped everything up (though not that I'd know). That quote doesn't make it clear if this is a reboot or a continuation, either. But if its well done and it makes people happy then hurrah either way I guess :]

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

It says it is a republishing. The licenses for the manga expired a few years ago (six according to some sources). Tokyopop was the last to have it and no one ventured to pick it up again. It's very hard to find any English copies, though I have found French ones. The original manga was 18 volumes then later condensed into 12 larger volumes in Japan. Codename: Sailor V is 3 volumes.

Usagi (Bunny in Tokyopop's manga and known as Serena in the English Dub) is far from self-centred though she can be a bit selfish at times. The anime in general always portrayed her as more immature than her manga counterpart. She grows a lot in the manga and is much more mature and rounded as a character.

Ah, I didn't realize the manga was rare (I wonder why Tokyopop cinched out on that one) then that is definitely good news for the fans

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is awesome news cause I kind of let the series slip away the first time it came out in manga format. I was collecting it when it was part of Mixx Zine (Later became TokyoPop) but they dropped the series part way through.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Rather misleading thread title - as said, it's the manga which is coming back into print in the USA (and by extension, the UK) in September. Which is good news, as it's a shame such a famous manga title has been out of print for so long.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I never got into it because all I ever saw was the american dub which made Serena look like a whiny self-centered air-head.
    That's the version I grew up with, and what you mention lasts for the first few episodes, then she gets better. I have no idea how close that is to the original Japanese interpetation of her, but it's unfair to judge someone on the earlier episodes, as that's usually when they're at their worst.

I dunno what I think about this, though. Even though I loved Sailor Moon as a kid I'm not sure if there's anymore that can be done with it, but we'll see...

Triva #1: I still can't believe they got the name "Selene" wrong - I know her Japanese name is something completly different, and it means "rabbit" or something, and I know that L/R is a common mistake in Japan, but her dub name is obviously "Selene" - it means "Moon".

Triva #2: Sailor Moon was the first time I supported a Slash Paring, but I didn't know about it because one of the guys was made into a girl.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

I hope they do a revival of the anime here like they're doing in a few other countries.
    I like Kung-Fu.

One Speed, One Gear, GO!! ScottyRedXIII's Avatar

Awesome, gosh i remember good times watching this on my own in my ro....... i'll shut up now
    Twitter: @Scottyboy081292

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Bad azz! I remember watching and reading this growing up! They had re-runs on some channel early in the morning when I was in my Air Force Tech school. I used to get up earlier than any of the other troops every morning so I could claim the t.v. and watch it. All the other people bitched at first, but after about two weeks they were all into it. I probably created about 20 new Sailor Moon fans that way. Just doing my part to spread the gospel.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

It would be really awesome if they could take the anime and do something similar to Dragon Ball Z Kai someday.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    It would be really awesome if they could take the anime and do something similar to Dragon Ball Z Kai someday.
    I never heard of Dragon Ball Z Kai until now, and I just looked it up...and yeah that would be awesome. Too awesome.

It's another Toei series that was insanely popular back in the day, so I have hope!
    I like Kung-Fu.

This is FABULOUS. I remember reading the manga via ebook but being the huge Sailor Moon fan I am (all seasons on DVD WINNING) I will definitely get my mom to buy me all the volumes.