Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite kind of weapon?

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool Favorite kind of weapon?

One of the things I love about this game is the huge variety of weapons available to you in-game. I want to know what your favorite weapon to use is because I've ran into too many people who just equip 3 great swords and go leroy jenkins most of the bosses in the game.

I would make it a poll but considering there are like 16 weapon options that would make one brutal poll.

~personally poles are my favorite weapon to use, fun combos and good evasion.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Zodiak Spear, Zodiak Spear, Zodiak Spear.

Only 1 weapon yes but short charge time + high damage on spears its really a win win situation, hell I can even solo alot of the bosses with just the Zodiak Spear lol.

Not by alot I mean all the storyline bosses and quite a few optional ones too.

Zodiak Spear.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The only thing I dislike about the Zodiac Spear is that it's impossible to get if you don't know how to get it.

Measures are fun for a change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    The only thing I dislike about the Zodiac Spear is that it's impossible to get if you don't know how to get it.

You know you can get it quite early in the game, just run away from alot of the mobs and make a beeline straight for it as soon as it is accessible, till then just ignore the chests, there isn't alot of stuff you cant get in a shop, not to mention even if you do get it you may not even have the licence for it anyhow, and again who is to say it will really make all that difference when it comes you current weapons, the Zodiak Spear is just a truly awesome weapon and it was so gratifying that I forgo the required chests and get the Zodiak Spear... the damage it wields is simply staggering, even Penelo can hit for 9999 with the weapon.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

greatswords and bows. Imagine if they mixed those two together to make crossbows that shoot claymores. ZOMG
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

A claymore shooting crossbow, I might have actually used fran for a change if that existed. I know the zodiac spears awesome, but i just don't care about it enough to go for it. Besides on my current playthrough i accidently looted one of the chests near the beginning so... I will NOT go to the henne mines for the other, I've soft reseted enough times on that game as is.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The poles kick ass

Guns, I freaking love them. Yes they have terribly charge time but if you built your other two members into Swedish Murder Machines, then you always get initiative as you snipe them and let your minions do the rest. The special ammo gave them variety as well. I also like the Greatswords but probably used 1hSwords with Shield combo more until the later parts of the game when the shields become useless.

I also love the Samurai swords. Masamune + Genji Gloves + Haste + Berserk + low health = Highest possible combo and damage MOTHER SMURFER!!!

Ninja Blades would be more awesome if they appeared earlier in the game and if they weren't all inherently Dark Element in nature cause XII loves the undead as enemies.

In truth, there really isn't a bad weapon in this game.

Blog Entries

Ninja swords would've been awesome, but they just lose so much use by the end of the game
    Running into say... the umbra wielding a ninja sword may be amusing, but its pointless.
    guns are amazing if you use them right
    and that masamune combo is my favorite, when the boss cant use magic to aoe kill him/her
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserDragon View Post

You know you can get it quite early in the game, just run away from alot of the mobs and make a beeline straight for it as soon as it is accessible, till then just ignore the chests, there isn't alot of stuff you cant get in a shop, not to mention even if you do get it you may not even have the licence for it anyhow, and again who is to say it will really make all that difference when it comes you current weapons, the Zodiak Spear is just a truly awesome weapon and it was so gratifying that I forgo the required chests and get the Zodiak Spear... the damage it wields is simply staggering, even Penelo can hit for 9999 with the weapon.
    Nowhere is it mentioned in game that to get the Zodiak Spear you have to ignore specific chests or get very very very lucky. That is the only thing I dislike about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My favorite weapon in real life is a spear, preferably a hollow one that has oil inside that increases the momentum of a hefted blow. I made a spear, and if you want to see how i handle it, its a bit like lubu from dynasty warriors 6 once he gets spinning.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserDragon View Post

Nowhere is it mentioned in game that to get the Zodiak Spear you have to ignore specific chests or get very very very lucky. That is the only thing I dislike about it.
    Nowa days 90% of people will check out an FAQ about a game, granted its easy to miss it but still...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Don't see why I should have to check a FAQ or a guide to find something in a game. It's like Final Fantasy IX and Excalibur II. That was just a bad design choice. On topic I don't understand the love for the Greatswords. They take two hands so you cant use a shield and they become obsolete quickly. My favorites were poles, one handed swords, and guns.

I like hand axes, Basch has a morning star at the moment which was looted in giruvegen, even better when they cost no gil.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Don't see why I should have to check a FAQ or a guide to find something in a game. It's like Final Fantasy IX and Excalibur II. That was just a bad design choice. On topic I don't understand the love for the Greatswords. They take two hands so you cant use a shield and they become obsolete quickly. My favorites were poles, one handed swords, and guns.
    I would understand if there were some hints to getting the zodiac, heck even subtle hints but if I remember correctly it isn't even mentioned once at all.
    I've actually grown fond of maces on my supporting characters, when it gets to the point where your magic doesn't alter what the spell does (when all you do is buff and cast renew) I find a mace/shield combo keeps my mage alive for longer so she can heal back up, I had to constantly rely on my decoy basch when I used staves, now (excluding shield penetrating bosses) It's not a necessity.
    My 3 weapons on my main team is:
    Basch: 1-h sword / shield
    Penelo: poles / katanas
    Ashe: Mace / shield (may make penelo my mage, she has much higher mp)
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries

my team
    Basch, excalibur, all best armor, destroys everything in rhidorana. Knows all white magics and most time and green magics
    Fran with bow, knows all magic, shoots fast, and heals everybody while running around and recovering mp
    anyone else except Vaan with whatever. Balthier masamune penelo claymore (lol jk, could you imagine, she has a daggar) ashe with a sword or spear.